Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 2004 Rav4 when slowing through 23-24 mph , the transmission downshifts into second gear and I get a "clunk" which feeds back through the brake pedal. As a test I tried it without the brakes and when the downshift occurs I get a brief surge of acceleration.

Didn't happen on the 2001, but the 2004 is a different transmission.

Dealer says couldn't find anything abnormal, no error codes.

Anyone else have this issue?

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
idle speed

Does the engine idle at normal speed (approx 800rpm), and if you hold the accellerator pedal at say 3000rpm and take your foot off, how long does it take to drop to idle speed.

Brian

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Engine idles at 800 rpm. From 3000 to idle is about 3.25 seconds.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I had a similar problem when i first got my Rav4. When I would approach a stop the tranny would downshift and I would feel a sudden surge. It was a really noticeable surge so i thought something was wrong with the car, didn't take it in to the dealer though. I've about 12,000 miles on it now and the surging problem seems to have gone away and the tranny is much smoother. If your Rav is new the tranny might not be broken in yet.

·
Registered
43 Posts
have the same 'problem', though I've gotten used to it now and I always expect that surge at every stop.

I bought my 01 rav certified used with 33000 miles. I have to look at the service details to see if they changed the ATF. Probably not because when I check the ATF level, it looks old and used.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts