Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to get more light out of my OEM fog lights without spending a lot of money or doing extensive modification to the stock light housing or wire harness. I also wanted to accomplish this without fear of voiding my Toyota warranty. So installing HID's were out of the question.

Here's an easy way to get more lumens from your OEM fog lights.

The OEM fog light uses a 9006 55 watt Low beam bulb that is capped at the tip. These bulbs are rated at 1000 lumens. I modified a 9005 65 watt High beam, uncapped bulb rated at 1700 lumens to fit the OEM light housing. The out come is 70% brighter. It makes a noticeable difference on your peripheral vision. Lighting up street and freeway signs nicely without blinding on coming traffic on dark roads. Keep in mind it's no HID but, it's not the useless cosmetic stock fog lights either.

This is what you need:
1 Pair of 9005 High beam bulbs.
1 Dremil Tool
1 Pair of Rubber Gloves (optional)
1 Protective Eye Glasses (optional safety)
Have on hand a bottle of Rubbing Alcohol and a clean Lint Free Paper Towel.

I used Sylvania SilverStars for my project. I bought a set at Walmart for $37.63 with a $10.00 rebate. I spent $27.63 for my light upgrade. (Check Sylvania's website for current rebates)

Procedure and Tips:
Remove the stock 9006 bulbs from OEM light housing. This way you can compare the differences to get an insight on what needs to be done.

Next remove the two Guides from inside of the new 9005 light bulb with the dremil tool.
Making the inside of the socket completely smooth. (do this without touching the bulb and be careful not to damage the prongs) Trust me, Go EASY with the dremil tool.

Now take a look at the outside Tabs that circle the bulb which key into the light housing.
(this is where you can compare the differences) Looking at the bottom of the bulb. (the socket facing down and the bottom facing you) The Top Dead Center Tab is the one that needs to be modified. (the right and left Tab placements are the same)

Remove 3mm of the plastic from the left-side of the Center Tab leaving 5-6mm of plastic or Tab remaining. Again, GO EASY with the dremil tool. You don't want to remove to much Tab. Otherwise the bulb will seat loose and not fit snugly in the light housing.

If you accidentally touch the bulbs. Clean it off with the Rubbing Alcohol and a Lint Free Paper Towel. The oils from your hands will create hot spots and can cause premature burn out.

Wah-la your done! Install your new modified bulbs.

This project took me about 20mins. The hardest part was getting the old bulbs out. The only draw back to this modification might be using them in actual foggy conditions. As I mentioned earlier... their High beam bulbs that have a higher light cut off point causing fog to reflect back. But excellent for seeing street signs and freeway lane reflectors on dark roads.

Shine On,
Ravon~* 8)

P

·
0 Posts
Excellent Fog Bulbs

If you want fog bulbs that work excellent in fog, rain and snow, check out the Philips AllWeather 9006 55W DOT. These are quality bulbs made in Germany. These are 'selective yellow' color (2900°K). I managed to find a few UK dealers that stock them. Autolamps-online.com has them for about $28 a pair.

If you want more deeper yellow color, the PIAA Ion Crystal H4B (9006) are a deeper yellow (2500°K), but these run about $99 a pair from autodynamic.com.

I am running with the Philips AllWeather Fogs now. I live at 4000' elevations in the mountains, so we get real fog, clouds, rain and lots of snow.

P

·
0 Posts
Daniel Stern

Daniel Stern is THE expert in automotive lighting. I talked to him yesterday, and bought some P3652 50%+ wedge bulbs for $4 each for the front wedges and license plate. Should be interesting to see how they work. He's in Toronto, but they ship the bulbs out of Maryland.

He sells Osram, Narva, and Philips clear bulbs at http://www.candlepowerinc.com/. His bulbs are quality German made.

Read his paper on Selective Yellow Light and Blue Bulbs. This might change some minds about blue coated bulbs - which seem to be all the rage these days for those trying to get that fake HID look - don't waste your money on blue coated bulbs - clear coated will always be brighter.

I am thinking of running Philips AllWeather 'selective yellow' H4 this winter during the foggy season. I'll have to post some photos somewhere.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Re: Daniel Stern

Amen on those "blue bulbs". I had bad luck with the expensive Silverstars - worked great, but burnt out faster than a pop star.

Back in the day, Phillips used to sell their WeatherVision bulbs in the popular sizes, but Phliips can be tough to find. KMart has Phliips, but not all of them. I last seen the WeatherVisions in a WalMart in Welland, ON.

But, I had just found the German-made Philips VisionPlus bulbs at Meirs grocery/super store in the midwest for like $19.95 pair and snagged them up. So far they look OK, and no faky blue-white of a Silverstar.

Was going to try the GE NightHawk bulbs at a WalMart, but couldn't find enough info about them on the web to take the $30.00 pair chance. Not against the reputable Vision Plus for less cash.

·
Registered
771 Posts
All the info on the fog/head lights is great guys!

I used to live in Newfoundland, "The most easterly province in Canada" and in the City that is the most easterly point in North America. There are only two directions you need to be familliar with "up" and "down". Alot of hills!

Don't know if you guys are geography buffs or not but that puts you smack dab in the middle of the North Atlantic Ocean. The worst one on the planet. Oil rigs don't even survive out here for long before they are swallowed up.

Environment Canada lists it as the "Windiest, Foggiest, Snowiest, Rainiest City in North America". Many auto maufactures test there vehicles here to get an idea of how they will perform in extreme conditions and it gives virtually all the condtions found all over Canada in one place. So I grew up knowing fog. A typical street is about 36 feet wide right? We typically get visibility that prevents you from seeing the houses on the other side of the street during foggy conditions.

I found the fog lights on the RAV to help but I always found they needed to be better. I may try your Mod. above.

Anyone have info on how to get more light from the reverse lights? This is what I'm looking for. Off-roading they would come in handy but I don't really want to add Aux. lights and stuff unless they were low profile or something.

P

·
0 Posts
Fog Bulbs

I've spend 2 weeks in St. John's 20 years ago and it rained for 13 days out of the 14 days, so you are right about the bad weather. We live on a steep mountain ridge at 3,800' elevation, so most of the fog is actually clouds trying to make it over the mountain ridge (The Blue Ridge Parkway).

I found some Philips AllWeather 9006's in stock at http://www.autolamps-online.com/index.htm. They are being discontinued by Philips, but they had a few pairs left in stock if you want to try them. http://www.suvlights.com/ might also have some left over, as they still list them on their website. About $22 a pair isn't bad, including free shipping from the UK.

For backup lights, I have had good luck with Polarg M-6 and PIAA 19224. These are both blue coated bulbs, but since they are not used to light up anything they work very well (see photos on my website). I am looking for Polarg Lens Type L-08, but these are extremely hard to find. The L-08 is also blue coated, but with a lens in the top of the bulb, to focus more light out the top of the bulb towards the back of the vehicle. I only use blue coated bulbs for the backup indicatiors and for the dome lights (Polarg M-16 and M-88 Dome Lights work great), where ever there is a clear lens. I have Polarg Lens Type Clear bulbs in all my bulb locations. They really are brighter.

http://www.upgrademotoring.com/lighting/polarg/lens_type.htm For Polarg Lens Type Bulbs.

I asked Daniel Stern about brighter backup clear blubs and he did not have any solutions. The W2 is sort of a weird bulb to start with, and few companies make them.

I looked into the 60+ GE H4 Bulbs, but they are Halogen filled, not Xenon filled, so they are not as white as the Philips and Osram, which are Xenon filled. I was also looking for more reviews and award winning articles on the GE bulbs, but I could not find any.

I've have an almost new pair of PIAA Ion Crystal HB4 (9006) forsale - $25, only used for a few hours (2500°K Deep Yellow). See the merchandise section.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I tried the Philip's All-Wx 9004's about 10 yrs ago in my '94 Jetta. Didn't like the yellow light at all!!! Found it weaker than white light of equal wattage in the dry, and in the wet, the light was totally absorbed by the wet blacktop; so I don't recommend them for headlites.......but in foglites, as your using them, they might be ok as you're trying to lessen reflection from fog and rain......and we get a lot of that in Nova Scotia.....

On another point, I'm really disappointed in the stock headlites in my '05 Rav, compared to how great the lites were in my ol' '98 Rav. The low beam cut-off is too good (is that possible?) and leaves one wondering what's on the road ahead in small valleys. The low beams stayed on with the hi beams in the '98 and filled the road ahead, far and near......not so with the '05, hi or low only.....
I'm going to have to upgrade the '05 lites in some manner......

P

·
0 Posts
Lights

I'll probably stick with the Philips Vision Plus, which I really like, if the AllWeather's don't work. I should have them on Monday.

They work fine as fogs, sort of a cream colored yellow, not overly yellow, like you would get with a yellow glass lens.

I think the beam cutoff pattern is a factor of the lamp housing, not the actual bulb. I noticed mine seem short as well on the 2005. Maybe adjusting the headlights slightly higher would help. I think the adjustment screw is under a black cap on the back of the light.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Thanks Parkway for the info.

Adjusting the angle of the headlights may be the solution. One thing I have to add is that in a higher vehicle it seems the lights don't shine as far down the road. I noticed this with my mini-van I used to own. With a different point of view on the road you are sort of looking down at the shining lights instead of out through the path as you are in a car.

My 2003 Honda Accord had great headlights :lol: (I not trying to be crude here) the head lights were the best I've ever seen.

The seating position in that car though is very low and you really do look out through the light path instead of down at it. I agree that the lights on the RAV need to be a little better. Brighter or pointed in the right direction. Maybe someone who knows a thing or two about aligning the lights correctly can add something here.

I have a custom set of ultra low profile lights in mind that I want to put together for my Rav and I may adapt it to the rear as well for added back-up light. I'll keep you posted on that one. M.

P

·
0 Posts
Alignment

All headlights on US cars are aligned at the same fixed angle. Remember the old alignment bumps on the old style headlights, and the leveling instrument used to measure the angle. It's an old rule made when all car lights were basically the same height.

This means the higher the vehicle, the further down the road the cutoff point will go. This gives SUV drivers a bit of an advantage over car drivers. As you pointed out, it also depends on how high up you are sitting in regard to the brightness of the lights. If you are sitting lower and closer to the headlights, you will see more light, because you are closer to the source of the light.

You probalby won't be able to align your headlights too far, but it's probably worth a try. Most adjustment screws only allow you a +/- 1° adjustment.

If you have added wider tires or have lowered the vehicle, your cut off point will also be lower.

I would highly recommend you try out a pair of Philips Vision Plus +50% Brighter H4 bulbs. They are $34 CDN delivered to your door from the UK (you'll probably get them very fast out there on The Rock). These things make a world of difference.

http://www.powerbulbs.co.uk/aftrack.asp?ID=32

P

·
0 Posts
Philips AllWeather H4's - Seeing Blue

I got my Philips AllWeather H4's installed tonight. They match the color of the Philps AllWeather 9006 fog lights. The yellow color is called 'selective-yellow' and look like old 1960's halogens. They seem very bright and light up the road very well with a bright cream colored light.

Only one problem... when viewed from a certain side angle, they appear totally blue! I'm very nervous that I will get pulled over for having blue headlights. This could be why Philips discontinued these bulbs - maybe they could not eliminate the blue color.

The Philips AllWeather 9006's in the fog lights (2900°K) don't have this blue color problem, and work very well as fog lights. The PIAA Ion Crystals HB4 (2500°K) have a bit of blue edges when viewed from the top and sides, but have a much deeper yellow color on the road.

According to SUV Lights: "Philips All Weather bulbs meet European and US DOT requirements for street use and are only slightly yellowier (multilayer ion coating with slight purplish hue at outer edges) than regular clear halogen bulbs."

According to Daniel Stern Lighting: "These ion coatings tend to glow blue when viewed off-axis, which has caused problems with people getting pulled over for illegal "blue" lights 'cause the cop sees blue as he drives by and pulls a quick U-turn."

Enought said, they are coming out tomorrow.

P

·
0 Posts
Philips AllWeather H4

Philips AllWeather H4.

I have two pairs of these German H4 bulbs, one pair was tested for about 30 minutes, the other pair is brand new in the box.

If anyone wants a pair for free, just email me. Pay for the shipping (about $5) and they are yours.

I would recommend these be used off road or back country in fog, or on a long foggy drive say out on I-5. They really work well, but for city use, from the sides, they appear have a flash of purple to them. The light is yellow-cream colored, not blue or purple at all. This is called Selective Yellow ~2900°K. If it weren't for this flash of purple that the cops will probably see from the sides, I'd keep them.

autoparts[at]blueridgemedia.com

·
Registered
771 Posts
Do you own stocks in a light-bulb company? You sure do spend alot on bulbs. :lol: :lol:

If I put new ones in at all it is usually because one has burned out. One thing I would just install is brighter back-up lights. But Untill I find the right ones I won't just "buy to try." :wink:

Anyway good luck with your news bulbs. Stay safe in the fog. M.

P

·
0 Posts
Backup Lights

See if you can find some Polarg L-08. They have a lens build into the bulb.

P

·
0 Posts
Leds

Those 921 Wedge Base LEDs look great for backup lights. I ordered 2 of the 921 Whites ($12.40 total) to compare them with my Polarg M-6's.

Since this topic is about More Lumens, I thought I'd toss this information in:

H4 Light Bulb Lumen Output Specifications:
(ECE-R37 H4 Maximum Allowed Output: 1900/1150 lumen.)
Philips Vision Plus H4: 1895/1150 lumen. (~3200K clear)
GE Megalight Plus H4: 1890/1150 lumen. (~3200K clear)
Osram Silverstar H4: 1700/1075 lumen. (~3200K clear)
Philips BlueVision H4: 1650/1000 lumen. (~4000K blue tinted)
Osram Cool Blue: 1650/1000 lumen. (~4000K blue tinted)
Sylvania Silverstar H4: 1500/910 lumen. (~4000K blue tinted)

For maximum lumen output, I'm choose the Philips Vision Plus H4's. These work great! $28 a pair delivered from http://www.powerbulbs.co.uk/aftrack.asp?ID=32

P

·
0 Posts
GE KnightHawk

"Using a robust filament and a refined, xenon gas composition, Nighthawk produces an average 30 percent more luminance than GE's standard lamps." - GE website.

The GE KnightHawks appear to be +30% blue tinted bulbs (perhaps this is the same bulb as the GE SuperBlue or GE EuroBlue that are sold in Europe). They produce a white color because of the blue tinting, and they are 30% brighter than stock.

White lights with blue tinting seem to be all the marketing rage for that fake HID look, plus you do get a brighter bulb over stock with a whiter color. These are probably going to be marketed against the Sylvania Silverstars which are +20% blue tinted bulbs.

The KnightHawk should be similar in specs to the +30% Philips Blue Vision and the Osram Cool Blue (approx. 1650/1000 lumen ~4000K using light blue tinting).

If maximum lumen output and the longest high beam is what you are looking for, you should go with a +50% clear bulb, like the Philips Vision Plus or Osram Siverstar. Blue Tinted bulbs are only going to give you only +20 to +30% brightness increase, because of the light that is lost due to the blue tinting.

The +50% clear bulbs are not as white ~3200K to ~3300K in color, but still whiter than stock Halogens, which are ~2900K. The +50% clear bulbs are rated at 1895/1150 lumen output, compared to the 1650/1000 of the Blue Tinted +30% bulbs.

(ECE-R37 H4 Maximum Allowed Output: 1900/1150 lumen.)

1 - 20 of 133 Posts