Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

More News on High Tension Cable Woes for RAV4 Hybrid and Primes

11K views 41 replies 24 participants last post by  4x4ken 
#1 ·
My feed caught the below article which specifies how the RAV4 Prime is affected by the high tension cable issues that are plaguing the Hybrid. It says that they made changes in mid 2021... however, my car is early 2021 so I presume I have the worst version of the cable.....

Would you recommend I have the cable inspected this winter before I fall out of ToyotaCare coverage? I bought the extended platinum warranty but I have not researched whether that cable would be included in the coverage since its not included as part of the longer hybrid system warranty from Toyota.

Thoughts?

#2 ·
My feed caught the below article which specifies how the RAV4 Prime is affected by the high tension cable issues that are plaguing the Hybrid. It says that they made changes in mid 2021... however, my car is early 2021 so I presume I have the worst version of the cable.....

Would you recommend I have the cable inspected this winter before I fall out of ToyotaCare coverage? I bought the extended platinum warranty but I have not researched whether that cable would be included in the coverage since its not included as part of the longer hybrid system warranty from Toyota.

Thoughts?
Terrible issue I hope our June '21 build is okay. How can one tell? Can the dealer tell if I provide a VIN?

#6 ·
See Photo below. The one on the left is original (curved). The one on the right is the newer one (angular).
Even the newer one might not prevent corrosion after many years of salt exposure. Perhaps washing the underside of the car often might be the best defense.
View attachment 187930
Thanks so much! Can this be seen w/o taking off anything, i.e., by getting under the car w/ a flashlight? It seems like it ought to be "painted", thickly coated, w/ some kind of grease!

#3 ·
This has been a widespread issue among all hybrid suvs and the new van as well.

#5 ·
quick review:

Toyota hybrid motor connectors in rear are somewhat exposed to the elements.

if sitting out in the open, an attached EMI clamp and braid will eventually corrode
and rot away, but this does not affect the hybrid high voltage connection, it only affects
the EMI braid and looks like crap, but the braid can rot right off and all it may do is make
radio interference.

Toyota designed the latest connector to be at the bottom of the rear transaxle case, and
in that postion when water and mung get on it, it can collect and hold dirt and salt water like a cup,
and then it not only rots the braid (which always rots) but the corrosion can pack in and build up some pressure and
work it's way into the high voltage wiring itself, eventually leading to a fault

Toyota redesigned the connector covering to have one side completely open, so when it does
eventually get dirt and rot, it won't be able to put more pressure and pack in, and work it's
way to the high voltage wiring.

--------------
the braid will always rot, but if not in a closed 'cup' will rot away harmlessly

the braid will rot, and if inside the closed connector cover, this can lead to hybrid failure

------------
people are going off-reservation and applying their own anti-corrosive sprays to the
connector to mitigate the problem.

myself I am blasting my open-style 2022 connector
and braid with acf-50 and will do this a few times a year, forever I reckon

-----------
people are waiting for Toyota to do further redesign and avoid all rotting for good (if they could)

#14 ·
2022 has the new connector. It is still the same "design" though in terms of it being non-stainless shielding, and oriented in such a way that it is somewhat more likely to be hit by road spray. I intend to hit it with an anti-corrosive coating before the winter. I'll see what it looks like next year. If I didn't have a day job, I'd get under there and see how it's all set up. I would imagine that with a bit of work, one could potentially paint the shielding with anti-corrosive paint (this is fairly common in other applications), then fit some adhesive shrink over the lot of it. That's pure concept, though. May not be realistic in practice, so for now I'm just going to point and spray.
I've got a lengthy warranty. This being the issue that it is, I'm fairly confident that Toyota will either tacitly acknowledge their screw up on this by replacing it under warranty, or the aftermarket will have developed a solution that isn't $5k.

Give engineers and tinkerers a problem, and a couple years. They'll get something cooked up. It's in their nature. (Trust me, I am one, though not this particular type of engineer)

#24 ·
Tire Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Tread

Took this picture just by looking underneath from behind the driver rear wheel. The black specks are overspray of the undercoating paint I had to pay for to get my 22 Prime XSE, got it on January 20th this year. Large splash tray underneath.

#34 ·
Visible corrosion is not always an indicator of a defect. Dissimilar metals common in automobiles, like aluminum and steel, are always subject to corrosion when in electrical contact. Some steel parts are galvanized with zinc and will still corrode, but last much longer. The question is if the corrosion will cause a problem or warning and how long it takes before the part fails to the point where it occurs frequently enough to cause widespread problems.

#36 ·
I had a Highlander Hybrid for 11 years in Chicago and was blissfully unaware of any corrosion issues. No idea if it had a similar cable harness.

My R4P has some discoloration of this wiring after 2 salty winters. I can't say if it is normal or abnormal, yet.

#42 ·

Thoughts?
I am sure there are remedies for this design failure. It is disappointing Toyota has not addressed this problem. The problem now being a recognized failure I will keep my 17 Rav4 Limited as long as I can. Presently I have 38,000 mi on it and being retired I drive a lot less, about 6,000 mi a year. I would not be tempted to get a hybrid until the fixes are in. Or buy another brand. If it is the squeaky wheel that gets the grease I hope the corroding cable matter will get the dielectric grease and a military spec redesign.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.