Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shortly after I bought my '21 TRD, plans and life changed. The intention was to have a good on fuel AWD vehicle with a little bit of light off road capability. As life has changed, the vehicle is now being used for some heavier off roading and trailer hauling. Let's be realistic... it's not ideal. I've made some mods to compensate for some of the things that are lacking (ground clearance and suspension)... but power has become a bit of an issue.

So... my question to you all... what kind of options could I look at in order to get some more jam out of her?

I know I could do the basic trio of exhaust, intake and tuner... but I'm not sure how much I buy the numbers that the vendors state for gains. Has anybody done these mods? Done any dyno testing?

Now we get into where some decent power gains could be made... a turbo or supercharger. Has anybody out there done this to a rav or some other similar engine that is obviously not designed for boost? My big concern here is throwing cash into it and then blowing an engine.

I'm open to any other suggestions you may have as well.

Maybe I just need to cut my losses and use this as an excuse to buy a Bronco! hahaha!

Thanks all!!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If heavier off roading and trailer hauling will be the norm, probably best or consider a 4Runner or Tacoma.
I understand that... and stated so. I didn't ask for a suggestion of what vehicle I should have bought.... I asked for options to make this one viable.

Also... this will be my last Toyota. I've never had a good experience with the vehicles or the dealers. I don't see why these things have such high resale value. 15000km and it's been in the shop 5 times for various warranty repairs. My Fords never needed a repair until after the warranty expired.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I understand that... and stated so. I didn't ask for a suggestion of what vehicle I should have bought.... I asked for options to make this one viable.

Also... this will be my last Toyota. I've never had a good experience with the vehicles or the dealers. I don't see why these things have such high resale value. 15000km and it's been in the shop 5 times for various warranty repairs. My Fords never needed a repair until after the warranty expired.
Subject of more power has been discussed in the forum a couple of times. Cursory search did not find results for me. iirc, there was not a definitive solution.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Shortly after I bought my '21 TRD, plans and life changed. The intention was to have a good on fuel AWD vehicle with a little bit of light off road capability. As life has changed, the vehicle is now being used for some heavier off roading and trailer hauling. Let's be realistic... it's not ideal. I've made some mods to compensate for some of the things that are lacking (ground clearance and suspension)... but power has become a bit of an issue.

So... my question to you all... what kind of options could I look at in order to get some more jam out of her?

I know I could do the basic trio of exhaust, intake and tuner... but I'm not sure how much I buy the numbers that the vendors state for gains. Has anybody done these mods? Done any dyno testing?

Now we get into where some decent power gains could be made... a turbo or supercharger. Has anybody out there done this to a rav or some other similar engine that is obviously not designed for boost? My big concern here is throwing cash into it and then blowing an engine.

I'm open to any other suggestions you may have as well.

Maybe I just need to cut my losses and use this as an excuse to buy a Bronco! hahaha!

Thanks all!!
With modern emissions and fuel economy regulations, there is not much you can do. A free flow air filter, such as K&N may add a couple HP, and a freer exhaust may add a couple too, overall, just a percent or two.

How about trading in for a RAV4 Prime which has over 300 HP equivalent. It is the second fastest car/truck that Toyota makes after the Supra.

·
Registered
11 Posts
With modern emissions and fuel economy regulations, there is not much you can do. A free flow air filter, such as K&N may add a couple HP, and a freer exhaust may add a couple too, overall, just a percent or two.

How about trading in for a RAV4 Prime which has over 300 HP equivalent. It is the second fastest car/truck that Toyota makes after the Supra.
Lol its the fastest car Toyota builds. BMW builds the Supra.

·
Registered
731 Posts
It is my understanding that BMW builds the engine, but Toyota makes the rest of the car.
No. The entire car is built in a BMW factory in Austria.
It is 100% designed and built by BMW (OK, 99.8%, Toyota supplies the oval badge, lol).
Toyota engineers have no clue about how design a sport car (body, engine, transmission and suspension). Their sport cars are designed and built by either Subaru or BMW.

·
Registered
636 Posts
The earlier Supra and Celica were all Toyota.

The re-release of the Supra is a joint venture between BMW & Toyota, is it not?

·
Registered
731 Posts
The earlier Supra and Celica were all Toyota.

The re-release of the Supra is a joint venture between BMW & Toyota, is it not?
Supra is just re-badged BMW Z4. Z4 is part of "standard" BMW lineup, with or without Toyota.
The whole Supra thing is purely marketing hype. Toyota is a company ran by marketing and finance guys, while their engineering dept has gone down the drain. Toyota doesn't care about designing and building great cars, only about how to milk more money out of sheepish consumers who still believe in the Toyota brand. Toyota is behaving exactly like GM did 30 years ago. Sales volume and profits are the only things that matter, at the expense of quality and reliability.

·
Super Moderator
11,584 Posts
Short of a turbocharger or supercharger (and wheelbarrows full of money) I don't know if anything else can be done for significant gains.

·
Registered
839 Posts
In the last gasping for air, grasping at straws years, SAAB had a Subaru "sports car". Where is SAAB now?
Dust bin of history.
Sadly Katkebo may be right.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Short of a turbocharger or supercharger (and wheelbarrows full of money) I don't know if anything else can be done for significant gains.
Agreed. The horsepower per liter of the RAV4 (non-hybrid) is high, about 30% higher than the 6.2L Raptors, a couple percent higher than the Corvette C8 with the LT2 C8.

Bash on Toyota engineers if you all want, they've got a naturally aspirated 2.5L making 203 HP and getting over 30 MPG in an AWD SUV that is among the best selling vehicles in America.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Why is it people buy a vehicle knowing what the limitations then think that they can make them go zoom zoom. If you buy a donkey it isn't going to win the Kentucky Derby, no matter what you feed it.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Agreed. The horsepower per liter of the RAV4 (non-hybrid) is high, about 30% higher than the 6.2L Raptors, a couple percent higher than the Corvette C8 with the LT2 C8.

Bash on Toyota engineers if you all want, they've got a naturally aspirated 2.5L making 203 HP and getting over 30 MPG in an AWD SUV that is among the best selling vehicles in America.
BMW N52 2.5L engine (naturally aspirated) produced 215 hp - almost 20 years ago. It took Toyota 20 years to catch up with German engineers. Congratulations.

Chevrolet Cavalier was the best selling car in 1985. It is also known for being one of the least reliable cars ever made. The fact that something sells a lot doesn't mean that it's good. Big Mac is the best selling hamburger but you would hardly call it gourmet.

·
Registered
2021 Rav 4 XLE gas engine
501 Posts
No. The entire car is built in a BMW factory in Austria.
It is 100% designed and built by BMW (OK, 99.8%, Toyota supplies the oval badge, lol).
Toyota engineers have no clue about how design a sport car (body, engine, transmission and suspension). Their sport cars are designed and built by either Subaru or BMW.
I don't think the Gazoo Racing Team that won Le Mans the last three years in a Toyota hybrid hypercar would agree.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Why is it people buy a vehicle knowing what the limitations then think that they can make them go zoom zoom. If you buy a donkey it isn't going to win the Kentucky Derby, no matter what you feed it.
Why is it that people can't read the original post?

PLANS CHANGED.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
This is what I assumed... sadly. Might have to switch back to team Ford and get the Bronco.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts