Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so my old soft top is getting pretty ragged. We all know the OEM replacements are near impossible to find at anything close to a reasonable price. I can take the vinyl bits to a upholstery shop and they will do a fine job at a fine price, but they are unable to repair the plastic mouldings (the five pieces that hold the rear and side windows to the frame)

I have been thinking about this a lot. I would love to have a hard top replacement - as I am sure all of us soft toppers would - but don't want to pay $800 for this thing:

Geo Tracker Hardtops from Rally Tops fiberglass sport truck top manufacturer

Which most of agree is on the not pretty side.

I figure I am going to have to fabricate something, either from scratch or using existing and available parts.

My first idea was to have a flat top that hugged the rear opening, like the one seen on this Suzuki X90

Or more precisely, like the on seen on this Tracker, the RAV's closest soft top cousin:

Look how awesome this little hatch is:

Another option I have considered is cutting out the frame from a regular RAV two door rear roof and windows and making some mounting brackets for it to bolt on to the soft top. If cut in the right place, it would fit perfectly. Problems are rear window, and not knowing if it would be structurally sound if not welded in.

Has anyone started and research on this, taken measurements, sought out materials, etc? It would be nice to have a cheat sheet as I start this project. Would love to hear some of your wild ideas.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would like to see your project unfold. Very interesting. I was thinking if the hardtop below can fit our Rav4 with some modifications. The dimensions doesn't seen to be way off between the two....http://www.suzuki-forums.com/attachments/classifieds-sale-trade/13886d1338636821-1996-geo-tracker-hardtop-geo-tracker-hardtop.jpg..
There's a 92 tracker in a local junkyard I am checking out tomorrow, I am going to do some measuring. The guy on the phone says it has a hardtop in good shape.

Just curious - where did you find measurements for it? I've tried looking up Suzuki and Geo forums and parts sites but have been unable to find reliable numbers

·
Registered
193 Posts
I don't have definite numbers. I was speculating. But the difference should be superficial. May be someone with more certainty can clarify. Yeah, I saw that Utube video. He did alright, but I think using a hard-top from other truck-lets would be better...IMO.....to avoid hack-job appearance.

·
Registered
20 Posts
It would be great to have an alternative for the OEM Toyota Soft Top wich is very expensive and hasn't been manufactured by the OEM Manufacturer for years. So what's being sold is very old to beginn with!

Mine is unfortunately broken so I look for a replacement. But I doubt that the one shown above will fit. (Isuzu Amigo)

Does anyone have more pictures and an opinion based on experience for the Hard Top from "Rallytops" mentioned before?

Geo Tracker Hardtops from Rally Tops fiberglass sport truck top manufacturer

Many Thanks in advance

Harno

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,643 Posts
There was a German web site that had replacement roofs that could be custom ordered in many different colors and materials. Let me see if I can find it.

·
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,643 Posts

·
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,643 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Quick question for ya'll, has anyone ever taken the two piece soft top off of a 2000 and up tracker and tried to put it on on earlier body? Or found a two piece soft top for a mid 90's model tracker?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just as a general info, I did purchache the Soft Top from that German manufacturer mentioned here a few rows up ;-)
It cost me about 500,-Euro but it's a very modern fabric like today Audi TT material. So far I'm very happy with it!! Hopefully good to go for another 20 years :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts