Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I gotta a great deal i think? $1500 on 2006 RAV4 4 cyl. With 116K miles on it. I'm reading a horror stories on very high oil consumption for this year and even claims that the is a defect in the design of this year engines to which Toyota doesn't admit. Is that a good buy for me or am I getting myself into a bag of problems. Please help me decide guys ?

·
Registered
8,524 Posts
There was a TSB issued for the oil consumption problem with the 4 cyl. engine in which Toyota did admit to the engine problem and provided for engine rebuilds for affected vehicles. You should be able to check to see whether the RAV you're asking about has had the repair done by going to www.toyotaowners.com, registering, and entering the vehicle's VIN.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There was a TSB issued for the oil consumption problem with the 4 cyl. engine in which Toyota did admit to the engine problem and provided for engine rebuilds for affected vehicles. You should be able to check to see whether the RAV you're asking about has had the repair done by going to www.toyotaowners.com, registering, and entering the vehicle's VIN.
Thanks man. I'll definitely do this. Besides the oil consumption were there any other problems reported for this year? Any info would help

·
Super Moderator
11,097 Posts
For $1500 if it only runs for a year you're ahead of the game. In the meantime keep your eye on the oil dipstick.

Reactions: DPFAST

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Yeah for that price frankly it doesn't really matter if it has the excessive oil consumption. You could swap in a new engine and still have a great deal. But would likely run just fine anyway with you topping it off regularly.

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
Thanks man. I'll definitely do this. Besides the oil consumption were there any other problems reported for this year? Any info would help
Charcoal canister and ignition coils come to mind. There was a lot of discussion.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts