Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
B

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read some good things about Mother's car care products. Anyone have any experience with them in particular their Calif Gold Carnauba Ultimate Wax. I have used their car wash and it is very good. Thanks in advance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
75 Posts
I've used Mother's pure carnauba wax for the last 2 years on cars and bikes. Overall, it doesn't last. I wash all of my vehicles with Meguiers car wash and the wax just donsen't hold up. I'm looking into a synthetic wax next.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,786 Posts
None of the carnuba based waxes last - good for shine, poor for durability. I prefer Zaino for it's combination of both, especially it's durability that has been proven in testing. Does have it's disadvantages - you can only get it online at http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc, and it can be expensive if you buy the whole system. But for long time detail OC's like me, it works like a charm, makes it easier to keep my vehicles looking better than they did on the dealer's lot. :wink:

OC
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
bikejack said:
I have read some good things about Mother's car care products. Anyone have any experience with them in particular their Calif Gold Carnauba Ultimate Wax. I have used their car wash and it is very good. Thanks in advance.
.......

Little outdated, but I have done the Mother's 3 step sytem, for almost 6 years on 2 diffrent cars, and will apply it this spring to my RAV4, the results are very,very good. I would do it once in March and once in Late September early October, it would last with a descent shine and good protection.

Step 1: Clay bar
Step 2: Paint sealer scratch remover
Step 3: Mothers Carnuba Wax

would use detailer evry 3-4 washes. No complaints. For a product thats available of the shelf at anytime....IMHO it's one of the best ones on the market.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,808 Posts
OCInsomniac said:
None of the carnuba based waxes last - good for shine, poor for durability. I prefer Zaino for it's combination of both, especially it's durability that has been proven in testing.
I have to agree with that :thumbs_up: ... and I tried Mothers before ...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
293 Posts
I personally like Mother's FX brand for quick waxing.

If I go all out with the Ultimate Detailer, right now I'm using Sonus for polish and wax but will be trying something else.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,960 Posts
THe mother's synthetic waxes are outstanding. I've almost used every single one of their products (used to be a car detailer) and I'll use them any day over any other similarly-priced brand
 
F

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am a detailer hobbyist and I would have to agree on the Carnuba vs. Synthetic argument in an earlier post. If you are looking for long term durability and protection, go for a synthetic product. i would recommend:

1) Zaino
2) Meguiers
3) Klasse
4) 1Z - Einzett

If you are looking for a good shine in between detail jobs, I would go with a wax topper like P21. With that said, a wax is only as good as the polish beforehand. Spend the time to polish with the proper products and a Porter Cable/Rotary buffer and you'll be pleased with the long lasting results.

Good Luck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
....I agree, it does not last long, there is also Collonite 476, which I believe is also Carnuba Wax, that one is supposed to last, I also heard great things regarding P21, but it does not last as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,786 Posts
Cubanpete said:
....I agree, it does not last long, there is also Collonite 476, which I believe is also Carnuba Wax, that one is supposed to last, I also heard great things regarding P21, but it does not last as well.
Last summer, I met the owner of Collonite, turned out to be my neighbor's father. Showed him my two vehicles layered in Zaino, showed him some of their products I use, and gave him a quick demo in application and a sample of Z-2 to take with him.

He explained Collonite was a small family run company based out of Utica, NY that hasn't changed much in years, wanted to keep it that way, had no desire to go synthetic or grow the business any larger.

He was VERY impressed with the results of the Z, mentioned he had heard of its reputation, but had never seen it live. In fact, as he was leaving my garage, he mentioned that within the course of his travels, he would like to stop in and compare notes with Sal Zaino the next time he was in the Cherry Hill, NJ vicinity....... 8)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
For sure Zaino is a very,very descent product .... However IMHO, I believe that there are other compounds that are way just as good and if not way better then Zaino or Klasse..and alot cheaper easier to aplly without all the mixing and ovelaying..... you need a quite a few coats to get maximum results..they last way longer then carnuba pastes....

However back to the Carnuba stuff, Collonite is Very,very good, ... I really don't blame the guy for not wanting to change his formula....If it ain't broke, no need to fix it.....:). I am sure if one would use a great sealer like Klasse or Zaino for there Winter Prep, even the meguiars NXT Sealer for that matter,.... topping it of with good Carnuba wax, would probably last all winter season season.

Mothers Wax is excellent for over the counter wax, not professional jobber quality stuff that some folks use.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,960 Posts
Like someone said on here, it depends a lot on the quality of the paint, its lack of contaminants and polish, not just the wax. When I have no time I use the Turtle Wax ICE on my aunt's metallic black XC90 and the result is VERY good, because the paint is in excellent condition
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,808 Posts
Cubanpete said:
For sure Zaino is a very,very descent product .... However IMHO, I believe that there are other compounds that are way just as good and if not way better then Zaino or Klasse
really? ... please elaborate ... maybe start another thread on it ...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
SeriousBlack said:
Cubanpete said:
For sure Zaino is a very,very descent product .... However IMHO, I believe that there are other compounds that are way just as good and if not way better then Zaino or Klasse
really? ... please elaborate ... maybe start another thread on it ...
Hi ....... Pretty pointless to do so, it's been done before on many boards, you have people that are pro sealer/synthetic and others that are not, they are pro Carnuba....... I prefer Carnuba Pastes better, and my results for me have been pretty excellent ... does not last as long as the sealers, but for me a wax shine is a wax shine........I guess a prefrence thing. That pretty much sums that part I guess.
There are other detailer forums on the web that cover in good detail what you want to know, pro's and con's with alot of "experts" Inputs.
 
F

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Take a look at autopia.org to start with. There is plenty of good info there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
I used the Mother's carnuba for a while, but as others found it didn't last long. I recently changed to using Meguiars NXT Tech Wax 2.0, and really like it for its ease of application. It does a respectable job on the shine and lasts a while, especially if you follow up with Meguiars UQD often as I do.

However, if you are looking for a little better product and want to pay a little more, listen to the other posters and do the Zaino, you can't go wrong with that. I used it once, (borrowed the bottle from a friend), but I just can't justify the price point.

Hope this helps.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
As stated....as there way better alternatives to Carnuba, there are even more as compared to zaino..... If you own a high end$$ vehicle do your research, Don't be naive and believe that Zaino and other Polishes or Carnuba Waxes are the miracle overnight curer....vehicle preparation goes a very long way. Do your research, my Man!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
Heliav8r said:
I used the Mother's carnuba for a while, but as others found it didn't last long. I recently changed to using Meguiars NXT Tech Wax 2.0, and really like it for its ease of application. It does a respectable job on the shine and lasts a while, especially if you follow up with Meguiars UQD often as I do.

However, if you are looking for a little better product and want to pay a little more, listen to the other posters and do the Zaino, you can't go wrong with that. I used it once, (borrowed the bottle from a friend), but I just can't justify the price point.

Hope this helps.
NXT can be toped with a coat of Good Carnuba wax like colonite or P21 and you can easily get 4 months of worry free shine, unless the Car/SUV is toast to begin with!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,786 Posts
Cubanpete said:
As stated....as there way better alternatives to Carnuba, there are even more as compared to zaino..... If you own a high end$$ vehicle do your research, Don't be naive and believe that Zaino and other Polishes or Carnuba Waxes are the miracle overnight curer....vehicle preparation goes a very long way. Do your research, my Man!!
Er......I think I've done enough research over the past 30 some odd years of detailing both professionally and as a hobbiest to know what works for me :roll: ..........
Agree 100% that vehicle prep is of the utmost importance, nothing will work miracles on a neglected finish that lacks the proper prep.

Here's a thread we did last Spring which included some basic videos on polishing out swirls, wet sanding, and basic use of the PC........


http://rav4world.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=15381&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

BTW - Welcome to the forum, newb, it's good having folks around here who are interested in keeping up the appearance of their RAV's, no matter what you use! :p :lol:
 
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Top