Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I work at a cement plant and dear god it is amazing at the amount of cement that ends up covering my Rav. Ofc it's black so it sticks out even worse. The other day after washing her, I could not believe the amount of cement embedded to the surface. Nothing would get it to come off and I tried. I heard about clay bars and figured I'd give it a shot. The reviews on mothers was quite impressive so I picked up a kit from canadian tire for 30 bucks.

It takes some time working your way around but I am quite happy with the end result and am really impressed at how well it takes off dirt and grime that is imbedded into the paint.

here are some photos of the before the clay bar (this is after she is already washed/dried)
sunroof

roof

I had some turtle wax bug/tar kicking around so i did a little comparison on the sunroof. On the left was the clay bar and on the right turtle wax.

It is kind of hard to tell but the tar remover did nothing, and the clay bar worked wonders, seriously.
these are just after claying it, I havent waxed the Rav yet.

after the claying and with a fresh wax coat

I seriously can not praise mothers clay kit enough. It took out all of the cement and what ever else was etched into the paint. It comes with 2 bars and I ended up only using 1, so it worked out to 15 bucks a claying.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So you can use this on windows AND the body?
Thats what I did, I even used it on the plastic trim. Although that did not work amazingly. My suspicion is the texture of the tirm, but it did take off some stuff. My sunroof though was covered in crud. It worked quite well made it look like new. It did leave a bit of residue (film) after buffing on some of the windows but nothing that windex couldent take care of.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Just picked it up this afternoon, but rain is fprecast up here on and off tomorrow, but will try it. Been having MAJOR spotting issues on my windows. But I'll also try it on the body too, seems easy enough to use...

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have used tons of different clay bars over the years and I can tell you that they are all pretty much the same. Not saying this as a bad thing. They work great and do the job they were meant to do. However, a few years ago I was out of clay bar so I decided to pick up the NanoSkin AutoScrub Towel. It is supposed to be an alternative to clay bar. My car (Mazda 3 at the time) needed some love so this was my first attempt at using this "clay towel" and I was very impressed. It is not only easier to use than clay bar but faster as well. When you are first hitting an area it sounds bad, like you are rubbing sand on your paint. Then in a couple of seconds it gets quiet and you move onto the next area. There was no need to fold, press, knead, flatten to look for a "clean area" like you would with a clay bar. Just fold the towel and flip as needed. It covers a greater area as well so that cuts down on the overall time it takes to clay. I have not gone back to clay bar since using the clay towel.

This is what I picked up

The results

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have used tons of different clay bars over the years and I can tell you that they are all pretty much the same. Not saying this as a bad thing. They work great and do the job they were meant to do. However, a few years ago I was out of clay bar so I decided to pick up the NanoSkin AutoScrub Towel. It is supposed to be an alternative to clay bar. My car (Mazda 3 at the time) needed some love so this was my first attempt at using this "clay towel" and I was very impressed. It is not only easier to use than clay bar but faster as well. When you are first hitting an area it sounds bad, like you are rubbing sand on your paint. Then in a couple of seconds it gets quiet and you move onto the next area. There was no need to fold, press, knead, flatten to look for a "clean area" like you would with a clay bar. Just fold the towel and flip as needed. It covers a greater area as well so that cuts down on the overall time it takes to clay. I have not gone back to clay bar since using the clay towel.

This is what I picked up

The results
I have heard that the nanoskin is top notch. I don't know if I read it on Rav4world or not but there was a whole forum talking about how amazing this stuff was. Crappytire doesn't carry it and I couldent find a local place that carries it so I went with monthers. If I see it I'll have to pick it up. My understanding is that it is a little bit more expensive but lasts longer?

Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have heard that the nanoskin is top notch. I don't know if I read it on Rav4world or not but there was a whole forum talking about how amazing this stuff was. Crappytire doesn't carry it and I couldent find a local place that carries it so I went with monthers. If I see it I'll have to pick it up. My understanding is that it is a little bit more expensive but lasts longer?

Thanks for sharing!
I ordered mine from Amazon. My experience with clay bar in terms of how long it will last greatly depends on the condition of the car your claying. The more dirt it picks up from the paint the shorter its life span. The biggest PRO for the “clay towel” is that is can be cleaned. Too much dirt on it? Clean it. Drop it? Clean it. With clay bar, once it is too dirty or your drop it you have to just throw it away. There is no way to remove the dirt from the bar.

To give you an idea of the life of the clay towel, I started using it back in 2013. I have 3 cars I clay 2 to 3 times a year. So I have used it 27 times, roughly(?) and it is still works like new.

·
Super Moderator
11,459 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts