Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I just bought a 2013 RAV4 limited last week mainly for my wife. She loves it. Unfortunately, it makes me motion sick every time I drive it. Motion sickness in car is nothing new for me if I'm a passenger, but I never had a problem while driving before.

We didn't notice anything when I test drove it, but then again, I only drove about a mile. We test drove a 2010 RAV4 limited extensively and didn't have a problem.

My guesses:
The leather smells strong. Could be a chemical that they used to clean the leather inside when they did the final detailing?

The sport suspension rides really tight. Could it be the sport suspension? I didn't have the problem in the 2010 suspension.

Anyone else have a similar problem?

·
Super Moderator
11,109 Posts
You are calling both the 2010 and 2013 "Limiteds" but then talk about the "sport" suspension. Hopefully it's the smell which you can do something about instead of the suspension that you can only change with wheels and tires - or maybe tire pressure.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I found out what the problem was! I took the car to a transmission shop and one of the technicians drove it with me. When the car is in ECO mode it gets a droning, rumbling sound and a slight shaking when it hits 40MPH. Apparently it occurs pretty much anytime the tachometer is under 2000RPMs. I now drive it in S instead D and I limit the gears to 3 or 4 so it doesn't go into ECO mode. I'm going to investigate how to get rid of the droning, but at least I can now drive it!

·
Registered
129 Posts
I found out what the problem was! I took the car to a transmission shop and one of the technicians drove it with me. When the car is in ECO mode it gets a droning, rumbling sound and a slight shaking when it hits 40MPH. Apparently it occurs pretty much anytime the tachometer is under 2000RPMs. I now drive it in S instead D and I limit the gears to 3 or 4 so it doesn't go into ECO mode. I'm going to investigate how to get rid of the droning, but at least I can now drive it!

Eco mode just keeps the rev's low by shifting early and also decreases the sensitivity of the gas pedal.Also the drone is normal, I have the same in my rav.(2015 XLE,bought new back in October 2015)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks! I was wondering if this is true for every RAV4.
It's mostly driven by my wife so it won't be a huge problem. Next time I get a car though, I'll make sure the eco mode is better.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I got a 2013 Limited Rav4 since first week of Nov 2016.
I've used eco mode just a few times, don't recall that noise.
But I normally drive it in normal or sport modes.
My wife gets motion sickness as a passenger very often, but never in any of the vehicles we've owned so far.

Sent From the Edge of the Seventh Galaxy

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I found out recently that the true root of the motion sickness problem was a bad torque converter in my RAV4. It shakes the car at around 40 mph in all modes—it’s just less noticeable in sport mode. Toyota knows about this issue and has extended the warranty on torque converters to 150,000. I’m getting mine replaced soon. I’m very thankful to Toyota for stepping up and fixing the issue!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts