Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
That is a nice review. Really nice pictures as well, I downloaded all of them. Thanks for sharing. I just took that same exact car home tonight! Hybrid XLE in Super White with convenience package. I will post more about my car after I put a few miles on it. On my ride home I averaged 32.6 mpg in city driving, I think I drove around 8 miles and the gas engine seemed to be off over 50% of my ride.

·
Registered
182 Posts
That is a nice review. Really nice pictures as well, I downloaded all of them. Thanks for sharing. I just took that same exact car home tonight! Hybrid XLE in Super White with convenience package. I will post more about my car after I put a few miles on it. On my ride home I averaged 32.6 mpg in city driving, I think I drove around 8 miles and the gas engine seemed to be off over 50% of my ride.
I'd like to hear your thoughts on all the convenience package safety features once you figure them out. In SoCal, I have yet to see an XLE hybrid with the package even on the car.

·
Registered
211 Posts
The highway MPG is hard to believe that 'real MPG' conducted. Don't get me wrong, I would love it if the RAV4 got those numbers consistently, but it's not realistic for the highway miliage to outperform the city mileage in a hybrid by that amount. However, there are 3 ravs on fuelly, one is reporting about 36 mpg with 90% highway. Time will tell...

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
The highway MPG is hard to believe that 'real MPG' conducted. Don't get me wrong, I would love it if the RAV4 got those numbers consistently, but it's not realistic for the highway miliage to outperform the city mileage in a hybrid by that amount. However, there are 3 ravs on fuelly, one is reporting about 36 mpg with 90% highway. Time will tell...
The Highlander hybrid is rated for 1 mpg higher mpg on highway, so there is some precedent.

·
Registered
211 Posts
The Highlander hybrid is rated for 1 mpg higher mpg on highway, so there is some precedent.
Highlander highway mpg estimate is about 3.5% higher than city.
RAV4 highway mpg by real MPG is 26% higher than advertised. Not in the same park and I doubt you will see anything close to these figures when we get a good pool of data on this site and fuelly. I would love to be proven wrong here, but I don't think we will see it happen.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Considering most people struggle to get the advertised mpg, it's hard to believe a manufacturer would leave that much on the table when testing, especially when everybody is pressing to meet CAFE standards.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The highway MPG is hard to believe that 'real MPG' conducted. ...it's not realistic for the highway miliage to outperform the city mileage in a hybrid by that amount.
I tend to agree and in fact, I don't recall MT ever testing a car where the RealMPG beat the EPA rating by that much. I wouldn't be surprised to see a correction printed next month.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Well I am glad to hear the city MPG is exactly what the EPA states. That's the reason we are trading in our 2015 Highlander Limited and getting the Rav4 Hybrid

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
This MT review is certainly a positive one, but heavy on the 'fluff.' The mention of the regen braking system and how seamless it performs is good. They write the driving experience is great, but don't elaborate much except for some performance numbers.

I would have liked to hear more about the quality of the ride--as in suspension improvements and cabin noise levels compared to other generations of RAVs or across brands.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Historically MT has apparently "sold out" to manufacturers and so its tests were suspect. But it is possible that they have changed their policy lately. I've read only one issue in the past couple of years.

·
Registered
211 Posts
It was an okay artical, however if you want to get the best artical that answers all your ride quality questions and then some, go take one for a test drive. I drove one and then ordered one if that says anything..

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Considering most people struggle to get the advertised mpg, it's hard to believe a manufacturer would leave that much on the table when testing, especially when everybody is pressing to meet CAFE standards.
Different story with hybrids. The EPA tests them like other cars, as opposed to driving them like a hybrid. Its very easy to improve on the EPA numbers by as much as 10-15%. Less so I assume on a Rav4, but in the Prius models its common. Still I'd expect to see 5-10% improvement in town with "pulse-n-glide" driving and a good set of LRR tires properly inflated.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Different story with hybrids. The EPA tests them like other cars, as opposed to driving them like a hybrid. Its very easy to improve on the EPA numbers by as much as 10-15%. Less so I assume on a Rav4, but in the Prius models its common. Still I'd expect to see 5-10% improvement in town with "pulse-n-glide" driving and a good set of LRR tires properly inflated.
According to real MPG, they test their cars driving them how most people drive cars, like they should. I will drive my RAV4 hybrid 'normally' also. Folks who want to save a few cents by trying to squeeze every mpg out of their gas tank can have at it, just please don't do it while holding everyone else up. This is probably why the Prius gets such a bad rap...

·
Registered
182 Posts
True, but we're talking highway mileage here. I don't know how you can hypermile on the freeway. Around town, yeah absolutely. But motortrends city test was right on the money with the Toyota numbers.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Maybe they tailgated an 18 wheeler real close or forgot to tell us the highway driving was down hill? I did compare the others 3 vehicles mileage numbers they tested and bounced it off of fuelly and they seem to all be in the ballpark. It would be great if the RAV truelly does beat 31 mpg on the highway, but if it does, I still think 35ish mpg would be tops.

·
Registered
27 Posts
My experience with my Limited has been right on the number for city, 34 mpg if driven in eco mode with a light right foot. Haven't done a highway trip yet. The ride and handling are similar to a 2016 BMW X1 that I recently tested. The BMW is $10,000 more comparably equipped. The BMW does have more features but no rear cross traffic alert. The BMW does get up to 60 about 2 seconds quicker, but I didn't buy the RAV4 as a performance vehicle.

·
Registered
182 Posts
There is something that makes me wonder though. Both the gas and hybrid claim the same 31mpg on the highway. But the Atkinson engine in the hybrid is only rate at 112HP I believe, vs the gas model's 176HP. Would the extra weight of the battery (appx 300 lbs) offset any fuel savings advantage the Atkinson engine would seem to have?

1 - 20 of 64 Posts