Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello all and forgive my ignorance as I'm new to these vehicles being a Subaru guy mostly but I just bought my first rav a 97.i got it with a bad motor for cheap but it seems to me like these 2.0 engines are always bad for some reason.just wanted some more input...:smile

·
Premium Member
1999 Toyota RAV4 with 3MZ-FE 6 cylinder engine, camo wrap, OME lift, heavily modded
2,046 Posts
Hey Heaveninbc, welcome to the forum. After you do a several posts, you can post photos, etc. Update your profile and add a signature line. A helpful thing to do is put info about your RAV4 in your signature line. What year, how many doors, manual or automatic, 4x4 or 4x2?

We've got a lot of folks here that have 200,000 300,000 and more without any major issues. A lot of us change out the engines because of lack of performance, however. If you are replacing the engine some relatively easy (as far as engine swaps go) go with the 3SGT turbocharged engine or the 3SGE Redtop. Both available at good prices.
Upgrades you should do with either engine upgrade:
- Upgrade exhaust
- Upgrade suspension
- Upgrade brakes
- Upgrade intake

Things you have to do:
- Merge wiring harnesses
- Bolt the sucker in there

You just purchase a car 20 years old give or take so hopefully you have mechanic skills, tools, and a place to work on her.

Have fun with her.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
OP: Please define "bad motor." If not maintained, any engine will go bad. Periodic maintenance needed includes oil and filter changes, air and fuel filters, timing set, water pump, plugs, etc. like all engines. These 3S-FEs did have bad valve stems seals, though.

·
Registered
412 Posts

You just purchase a car 20 years old give or take so hopefully you have mechanic skills, tools, and a place to work on her.

Have fun with her.

I think this sums it up !!
LOL !

Reactions: eodgator
1 - 4 of 4 Posts