Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since my plans are to aquire a new Rav at the end of December, I am sort of concerened about the statement by Motorweek about the harsher ride compared to the 4.2 (01 in my case) model. I am told the 01-05 Ravs are built on a car chassis. Seems like the 06 is not. Is that correct ? If so, what kind of chassis is it built on ?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Not everyone ( Car and Driver for instance) is reporting a harsher ride or mor cabin noise. Wait until you drive one and decide for yourself. Maybe Motorweek had a sport model :roll:

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The 2006 RAV4 in the motorweek video did not appear to be the sport edition. (But then again the pictures on text review were not even of the 2006 model, so who knows).

Has anyone been able to find one at their local dealer to test drive and comment?

Handling and road noise were an issue for me with my previous SUV (a 95 Isuzu Rodeo) - interested on hands on reviews. Considering a 2006 RAV4 as a replacement for my 98 camry.

JCPZero

·
Registered
654 Posts
JCPZero said:
Has anyone been able to find one at their local dealer to test drive and comment?

JCPZero
I just spoke to a dealer in San Diego and he said he should be getting the 4 cylinders in less than 2 weeks and anticipate getting the V6 sometime in January. He's suppose to let me know as soon as one comes in. I'll post when I find out.

·
Super Moderator
1,566 Posts
Omega Man said:
Not everyone ( Car and Driver for instance) is reporting a harsher ride or mor cabin noise. Wait until you drive one and decide for yourself. Maybe Motorweek had a sport model :roll:
Well, I watched the video closely and I know saw the word "Limited" on the front door badging (confirmed after pulling the higher resolution vid from Becky). Also, the one they drive around has the Limited's six-spoke alloys -- the Sport's alloys have only five spokes.

What I'm guessing is that they reviewed a pre-production model -- one of those bunch that Kelly prepped way back when! :D

Regardless, I don't think their commentary about the ride feel will bother me in the least.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I really believe that my 01 Rav4 has the most car like ride of any compact suv because it is built on a Camry chassis. Since the 06 Rav is 14 inches longer, what chassis is it built on. This might be a deceiding factor for me

·
Premium Member
3,348 Posts
karrock said:
What I'm guessing is that they reviewed a pre-production model -- one of those bunch that Kelly prepped way back when! :D
We did NOT prep that shipment of vehicles. They went IN/OUT of our workplace very quickly... trying not to be seen. Hmmmm... I'm wondering now if maybe those "pre-production" units didn't get prepped properly from their shipping condition. Could be that all four tires were way OVER INFLATED :?

·
Super Moderator
1,566 Posts
Kelly Smith said:
karrock said:
We did NOT prep that shipment of vehicles. They went IN/OUT of our workplace very quickly... trying not to be seen. Hmmmm... I'm wondering now if maybe those "pre-production" units didn't get prepped properly from their shipping condition. Could be that all four tires were way OVER INFLATED :?
Hah, exactly what I was thinking earlier! Tire pressure makes a significant difference with ride and drive feel when it's over or under-inflated.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts