Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious... where have other RAVvers placed satellite radio units on their dashboards? I'm thinking about pre-ordering a Delphi MyFi XM receiver. So far, I plan to mount the car kit on either of the two side bars immediately to the left and right of the stereo. Any suggestions? Thanks.

·
Registered
986 Posts
I had the Delphi SkyFi XM tuner two years ago, but I cancelled the XM subscription after a few months, long story. I think I still have the whole kit in my closet somewhere. I originally used the Delphi FM modulator, but scrapped that and ordered a PIE audio input adapter for my Alpine head unit.

Anyway, when I first installed the kit, I used the included cradle bracket with the adhesive pad. Bad idea. Whatever you do, mount it with screws and not with adhesive pads. Not matter what I did, the adhesive would work itself loose after a few days.

I then ordered a custom mounting bracket from Pro-Fit that attached to the panel behind the HVAC bezel. It worked fine, and I made sure I bolted the XM tuner cradle to the bracket.
http://www.pro-fit-intl.com/Adobe/TY-73-01.pdf

By the way, the best online source I have found for XM stuff is www.xmfanstore.com

I probably have all of the parts from my XM installation somewhere, so if anyone wants something let me know.

·
Registered
43 Posts
aren't there car radio units that are satellite radio capable? I know it's much more expensive than the stand alone units, but for people who haven't upgraded their stock radio yet and/or have other things stuck onto the dashboard already, this might be a nice option. :)

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
aren't there car radio units that are satellite radio capable? I know it's much more expensive than the stand alone units, but for people who haven't upgraded their stock radio yet and/or have other things stuck onto the dashboard already, this might be a nice option. :)
Yest, there are satellite-ready head units (such as the Clarion head unit that I have), but still, you need to install an external receiver in order to receiver satellite radio. I'd rather use a plug-and-play unit (such as the Delphi MyFi) so that I can use it on my home stereo in addition to my car stereo. However, if I get a Clarion add-on receiver, I am limited to using it on my Clarion head unit. I don't spend enough time in my car to warrant having a car-only satellite radio receiver.

Thanks to everybody for their input. :)

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I went thru a variety of configurations while using my stock head unit. I finally got rid of the stock unit and put a Kenwood receiver in the car and added the Sirius satellite unit underneath the passenger seat. I have the cable running under the carpet to the console tunnel and on into the dash to the receiver. Looks relatively clean and the sound is much better.

jerij

1 - 8 of 8 Posts