Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short, a group of mice chew up one of the harness on the engine bay. I want to know what type of sensor the harness is connect to. I'll take my car to the mechanics tomorrow to see if they can't fix it or replace the whole harness. It's near the car battery. As a result, my check engine light, 4WD and traction control light came on. Appreciate the help.

I'm not sure if the insurance will cover this.

IMG_4370.jpg

IMG_4368.jpg

2011 V6

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
Homeynow can you complete your profile?

I just checked online and it seems the engine wiring harness comes in one piece which cost a whopping $2851. I can't seem to find any other individual wiring (or sensors) so you need to confirm with a Toyota dealer if there is a single wire you can buy or the entire sensor.

If you can't buy a single wire set for the vehicle I suggest you go to a junk yard and check there for an engine wiring harness. Lots of smashed RAV4 will have wiring harness since they are not in demand. Also check the online link above to see what other models have the same part number. ( click on What This Fit and it will give all model/years that share this same part)

I would cut that piece off and splice it with the rest of the wires since rewiring the entire engine will take the mechanic many hours. Keep the rest of the engine wire harness for spare part in case another mishap occurs again.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info and I updated my profile. $2851 is not cheap. I'll check my local junk yard to see if there is any. For the time being, I had drop of my car to my mechanic to get it fix.

As for my garage, i'll put rat poison to see if it helps. Winter is coming and they want to stay warm.

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
Thanks for the info and I updated my profile. $2851 is not cheap. I'll check my local junk yard to see if there is any. For the time being, I had drop of my car to my mechanic to get it fix.

As for my garage, i'll put rat poison to see if it helps. Winter is coming and they want to stay warm.
You really should double check with the dealer for that sensor first it must detach since a sensor can go bad. I can't find it online.

As for mice or rats try : vicks vapour rub smeared on cotton balls or peppermint oil, irish spring soap (cut in cubes), and Bounce laundry sheets.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I lost faith at the Bay Ridge Toyota dealership in Brooklyn NY. If I let them work on my car anymore, I am afraid they will break more stuff. Prior to taking my car in for a recall, my car runs fine. No issue at all. No leaks, no check engine light.

As for the mice issue, I had order a bait station. Let see if that take care of the mice issue at the garage.

You really should double check with the dealer for that sensor first it must detach since a sensor can go bad. I can't find it online.

As for mice or rats try : vicks vapour rub smeared on cotton balls or peppermint oil, irish spring soap (cut in cubes), and Bounce laundry sheets.

·
Registered
8,536 Posts
If you can, block any openings which mice can use to get into your garage. They can crawl through small openings. I've used steel wool balls to block entrances into our garage. No mice so far in 15 years. Also having one of these should take care of the issue:

Did the mice damage only the sensor wires, or is there damage to other wires as well? Perhaps a good mechanic can splice new wiring into the harness so that you don't have to buy and install the entire assembly.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As far as I know, I only saw two wires cut from one sensor. Not sure what sensor is was. I had post a picture on my initial post. I had drop off my car to a mechanic already. They are going to try and splice and fix the wire. Fingers cross.

·
Registered
87 Posts
If you can, block any openings which mice can use to get into your garage. They can crawl through small openings. I've used steel wool balls to block entrances into our garage. No mice so far in 15 years. Also having one of these should take care of the issue:

Did the mice damage only the sensor wires, or is there damage to other wires as well? Perhaps a good mechanic can splice new wiring into the harness so that you don't have to buy and install the entire assembly.
My experience over the last 30 years, is that you are not going to stop mice from entering most garages. They are just too good at what they do. And you are not going to stop them from exploring under the car hood for something to nibble on. But I alway have bait waiting for them in the garage, in a pet safe container (that not even the neighbors cat will not get to if trespassing.
BUT what I found with my prior cars, especially my BMW"S that have more than their share of mouse attacks, is to put Camphor Balls around the engine compartment--but not near the air intake. They will last at least 18 months. My favorite spot on the BMW was 2 or 3 Camphor Balls on top of each Shock tower because it is a good recessed spot. It will KEEP those mice out of your engine area. WORKS. They hate the smell. Also you should check carefully, on a regular basis, if you have a mouse nest recently built in a remote area under the hood. They like to do that, and it is not built with fire resistant leaves and brush---but is a real fire hazard.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for the info. I will look into the Camphor Balls. For right now, I had ordered a bait station and I will place it in the garage. Hopefully that will get rid of some mice when winter comes.

As for the Camphor Balls, I might use a wire and stitch one and tie it to the location where the mic chew the wire. I don't think that location will have any issue. It's right underneath the engine filter box.

·
Registered
87 Posts
thanks for the info. I will look into the Camphor Balls. For right now, I had ordered a bait station and I will place it in the garage. Hopefully that will get rid of some mice when winter comes.

As for the Camphor Balls, I might use a wire and stitch one and tie it to the location where the mic chew the wire. I don't think that location will have any issue. It's right underneath the engine filter box.
I would not be that concerned about having the Camphor Ball immediately next to the wires that they chew. That would be good, but my years of experience with this problem on my BMW's shows that just having them under the hood creates enough aroma. Mice hate the smell, and it also is used for mouse holes in the ground. And as you indicate, like like the BMW, they like places that are somewhat concealed, like under the filter box. The wire covering is used for nesting material and maybe (not sure) for tooth sharpening.

·
Registered
87 Posts

I just educated myself by doing some internet research and found this--below. Did not know that Soy Based wiring is being used and that there are major law suites against many auto manufactures regard this. If you have one of the Toyota's on this list--I would be concerned and immediately move into protection mode:

So, are you at risk? Does your car have soy based wiring?

In order to help determine, there are class action lawsuits that were recently filed against both Honda and Toyota. Here are links to more information on the pending litigation:

Albert Heber vs. Toyota Motor Sales, USA, Inc.
Janice Toler vs. Toyota Motor Corporation & Toyota Motor Sales, USA, Inc.
Daniel Dobbs et al. v. American Honda Motor Co. Inc.,
From the lawsuits, we can gather that at least the following have soy based wiring:

Toyota

All 2012-2016 model year Toyota vehicles
2011 Toyota 4Runner
2009-2011 Toyota Camry
2010 Toyota Prius
2011 Toyota Prius C
2008-2011 Toyota RAV4
2009-2011 Toyota Tundra
2009 Toyota Highlander
2010 Toyota Venza Ltd.

·
Registered
8,536 Posts
There already has been a lot of discussion about mice and Toyota wiring on this forum. Toyota and other manufacturers have been using soy-based insulation on wiring for a number of years and manufacturers such as Ford have even touted soy-based cushioning material in their vehicle seating. We have three vehicles with soy-based wiring insulation, they are garaged, garage openings through which mice can enter have been blocked with Brillo pads and other steel wool, there is at least one rodent-killer cat patrolling the premises, and we have had no problem with mice in our vehicles (Touch wood, as the saying has it!).

·
Registered
403 Posts
I had mouse problems a while ago. To keep them out in the future put the air control on "recirculate" (the button in the middle of the selector knob) to keep them from getting into the inside where the cabin filter is located. Smear Vick's VapoRub on the upper portion of the insulation in the plastic cover over the engine. Also smear it on the inside areas of the engine compartment that does NOT get hot. Do this every 6 months especially in the Fall when the weather is getting cold and mice are looking for a place to keep warm. I also put a screen on the input of the air box to keep them out of there. I also put 5 or 6 moth balls in the air box every 6 months for good measure. All of this seems to keep them out of my RAV...of course having a cat in the garage would not hurt.:smile

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks for the recommendation. I will look into that.

I had mouse problems a while ago. To keep them out in the future put the air control on "recirculate" (the button in the middle of the selector knob) to keep them from getting into the inside where the cabin filter is located. Smear Vick's VapoRub on the upper portion of the insulation in the plastic cover over the engine. Also smear it on the inside areas of the engine compartment that does NOT get hot. Do this every 6 months especially in the Fall when the weather is getting cold and mice are looking for a place to keep warm. I also put a screen on the input of the air box to keep them out of there. I also put 5 or 6 moth balls in the air box every 6 months for good measure. All of this seems to keep them out of my RAV...of course having a cat in the garage would not hurt.:smile

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes, I got my mechanic splice and fix the wire. Quite expensive($300) for a simple repair. If I have the time next time, I can fix it. My mechanic also did a power wash on the engine bay to remove the scent.

I'll string some moth balls this weekend and have it tied to the area near the battery to ward off the mice. Hopefully that will be safe and not a fire hazard.

homey, were they able to fix your wires?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts