Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone I'm devastated to have found 5 baby dead mice in the AC filter under my glove box. The smell did improve but not to newcomers traveling with me in my vehicle ?I took to mechanic and they gave me a quote for $3800 covered under my insurance to remove dash and replace heater box! This will eliminate smell. I'm hesitant to do this because ripping dash out may cause more problems ?My RAV is only a year old and all the electric seems in tact everything works so the mice never chewed anything just the smell. From what I have researched this is a common problem and this is my first time dealing with this as well as my first Toyota.
Has anyone had any experience with this? Will the smell go away from dash area? I do plan on having car professionally cleaned. Has anyone had the heater box replaced? Or left it up to time? Really desperate for anyone's input, Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
160 Posts
welcome and sorry to hear that, but I doubt it is common problem, never heard or had that issue or smelly situations either and had plenty of Toyota cars in the past. I don't think it has to do anything with Toyota itself. If the insurance is going to pay for it I would do it, unless there is a better solution I don't know.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Been there 2X. Take the filter out and replace obviously. With the fan on, spray some Ozium into the open filter box, and on the new filter. Close the box and let it circulate. The Ozium is powerful and you might want to get out of the car and close the door. Repeat if necessary. If that doesn't work I'm afraid to say tearing apart the dash may be the only choice. It took the smell away in my car.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm in Canada and don't think they sell Ozium spray here. You have had the problem twice? That's what I'm afraid of I go through insurance and it happens again. I'm worried about that virus mice carry and if leaving the smell to go away on its own is ok to do .

·
Registered
1,577 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
I get ozium from Amazon. If you can't find it try The stuff Mikey D. found. If you can't get the smell out with that don't know what to tell you. I baited the garage and surrounding area with bait stations and luckily didn't get a dead mouse in my car. Haven't had a problem since.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts