Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought on Labor Day and for the first 2k I got 41 MPG. Now it is at 4K and the total MPG dropped to 33.7. Driving habits did not change. Only change is I started to overfill due to tank issue and it is winter now (DC). Did anyone have similar experience?

·
Registered
611 Posts
This is pretty normal since winter set in. There are many threads and posts about it. You're not experiencing anything unusual.

·
Registered
235 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yup... MPG shot from 5.2L/100 km (45 mpUSg) to 7.4 (32 mpUSg) in sub freezing winter climate. A side effect of the ICE running more at startup is that I can see the hybrid battery at full charge a lot more often.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Both.

Yes the efficiencies drop during winter due to tire pressures, dense air, fuel energy content, ICE running longer to warm up, increased HVAC use to defrost, and even rain and snow creating more resistance that must be overcome. But if you overfill, you are adding more fuel and the miles leading up to that fill are still the same. A short fill will fool you into thinking you used less gas, an overfill into thinking you drove less efficiently because there was more gas.

I see this in tracking my MPG on fuelly as often a great MPG tank will be followed immediately by a lousy MPG one. And vice versa. Reality is they were probably pretty much the same but the imprecision of getting the same amount of gas in the tank on every fill makes the MPG figures seem to fluctuate.

If you click on my signature box you can see my MPGs graphed per tank on fuelly. They vary wildly yet their overall average is what I look at. I've started adding some comments on the characteristics of the fill-up so when I look at an individual MPG result it starts to have more of an explanation.

·
Registered
114 Posts
We purchased our hybrid in May and got 44–45 mpg through September, when we took it to California. MPG dropped to 38 on that trip. Since it's gotten cold here it runs at about 41 MPG. Still pretty good. I have been putting 87-88 octane gas in it, instead of the 85 gas sold as regular here in Utah, but I doubt that has anything to do with it. Since we fuel at Costco, I have to cram gas into the tank to get the needle above full. DTE was around 570 in the warmer months and is now around 520.

·
Registered
284 Posts
2017 XLE, non hybrid, is the same. Mileage has dropped all 3 winters. Will be back in the spring. My 2016 Camry was the same. These cars do not like cold weather when it comes to MPG.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts