Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Did you mean to say anything here in post #19? You quoted me but did not say anything.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I see you've just registered. Welcome to Rav4World!

Could you provide some more insight into your suggestion? Have you changed yours? What year?

Most people's advice would not to touch that unless you have a clear case of fuel contamination.

I have attempted to change one and not only the nut seize, the fitting had to be cut off the fuel line and it was more to fix correctly than the worth of the car. Wasn't worth the hassle. They made a fitting and jimmyrigged it back together. The factory seems to have a knack for tightening the hell out of that banjo fitting. Like it was not ever meant to be taken out. Or do you mean something else...

Change the fuel filter.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I see you've just registered. Welcome to Rav4World!

Could you provide some more insight into your suggestion? Have you changed yours? What year?

Most people's advice would not to touch that unless you have a clear case of fuel contamination.

I have attempted to change one and not only the nut seize, the fitting had to be cut off the fuel line and it was more to fix correctly than the worth of the car. Wasn't worth the hassle. They made a fitting and jimmyrigged it back together. The factory seems to have a knack for tightening the hell out of that banjo fitting. Like it was not ever meant to be taken out. Or do you mean something else...
I haven't personally done it on a RAV4, but fuel filters should occasionally be changed. They are relatively inexpensive as well.

Do you smell fuel anywhere around your car? If it is running fine, there could always be a leak which could make it seem like you are getting lower MPGs.

·
Your Humble Administrator
16,447 Posts
I'm having the same problem with my 2008 V6 with 65K miles. I keep track of mileage with an app called Car Minder. The most recent fill-up (08-24-19) showed the MPG at 14.32. The previous fill-up was a month before showing 14.81. But when we went to Disney World back in September with 4 passengers and luggage, the MPG was 27.72! My daughter has been using the RAV for the past 6 months and her short 3 mile commute to work may have something to do with it. She often has to wait in bumper-to-bumper traffic on the way home in the afternoon. Guess I'll have to jack up the RAV and check for a stuck caliper, but when I drove it yesterday, everything seemed normal.

·
Registered
251 Posts
That 3 mile drive and sitting in traffic will tank the mpg. 3 miles barely lets it get up to temp if there isn't any traffic, so it's in warm up mode. The drive home sitting in traffic is just burning fuel.

I'm having the same problem with my 2008 V6 with 65K miles. I keep track of mileage with an app called Car Minder. The most recent fill-up (08-24-19) showed the MPG at 14.32. The previous fill-up was a month before showing 14.81. But when we went to Disney World back in September with 4 passengers and luggage, the MPG was 27.72! My daughter has been using the RAV for the past 6 months and her short 3 mile commute to work may have something to do with it. She often has to wait in bumper-to-bumper traffic on the way home in the afternoon. Guess I'll have to jack up the RAV and check for a stuck caliper, but when I drove it yesterday, everything seemed normal.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
This generation doesn't have ignition cables. If and spark plug wires were incorrectly installed on a distributor and rotor system, the car would barely run if at all start. On the distributorless Toyota V6 1MZ-FE, it has coils on the left bank and slave wires to the rears. But I like that you call her a beast. She truly is a mighty force.

My 2008 Limited V6 purchased new still gets 18 city / 25 highway - pretty darn close to when new.

My mechanical knowledge stops at the gas tank, so I'd listen to the folks who are suggesting the spark plugs be redone. If the cables were put on incorrectly, you're poor beast is fighting against itself (and your wallet).

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I did an early morning and late night run cross town (about 30 miles) in the last tank as a test. 15mpg more or less. No idling much. No use during hot times of day. Working on getting the plugs done. I know it is imperative to pull them and see. I half did the job on the V6 1MZ and it didn't solve the issue until the back ones were done.

I looked back at what you said. Do you have AWD? I was told my FWD doesn't have the transfer cast separate (tranny shared) or diff.

I wish mechanics around here didn't take advantage. They want $300 just to do the plugs. I'd do it, but the way this engine is designed, and it's (personal maintenance and owner) history, taking the plastic plenum off is the least of my worries. Removing the threads with the plugs is a big concern. Wish I could replace all the coils! But at $70 a pop x 6 that's a good chunk of change.

Would like to know if you've changed anything else in regards to the ignition system that could affect fuel? Maybe the front pre-converter air fuel sensors were done? The two before/upstream. Good onto you for the upkeep.

Just filled up today and was at almost 28 mpg.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
There's a trick about feeling for hot wheels but in my experience, they all felt hot in another Toyota V6 I had.

If you have access to live scan data, see if the front two air fuel sensors are still good. Apparently the heaters (black wires) go bad and cause it to run rich dumping fuel to allow the car to run without codes. In a few years the cat will go. Has happened to several of our Toyotas but starting to think this is the culprit. All of them around 15mpg since manual tracking back in the day and now I use Fuelio.

·
Your Humble Administrator
16,447 Posts
This generation doesn't have ignition cables. If and spark plug wires were incorrectly installed on a distributor and rotor system, the car would barely run if at all start. On the distributorless Toyota V6 1MZ-FE, it has coils on the left bank and slave wires to the rears. But I like that you call her a beast. She truly is a mighty force.
The 2006-2012 RAV4 V6 uses the 2GR-FE engine, not the 1MZ-FE. But the rear plugs are still a PITA to change!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I know it does. It says 2GR-FE right on the engine cowling.
I was just telling Tim about my familiarity with how much the rear plugs were easier on the 1MZ and didn't require removal of the plenum. Did it myself. I only mentioned it because he seemed to be talking to me about that generation of engine, as he mentioned wires and the 2GR doesn't have any, just coils.

For this 2GR, have you tried doing it without taking the plenum off? Seems like we just have to with this one.

Also, if you do ever get your daughter's car in for a diagnostic and can backprobe the heater circuits to see if they are fluctuating, do let me know. And the thing about feeling if any of her wheels are hotter than normal after a drive. Especially at night when one can tell better. Hoping for you none of the calipers are seized.

Update here and there day driving seems to net me still 12mpg. But night driving gets me 15mpg. Not sure why.

Swallowed the pill and bought an air/fuel sensor ($110) and hope that's it and that the mechanic can figure out which one is bad and hopefully not both. Tranny fluid is on the docket to be done. I'll monitor it if it does anything.

Doesn't have a separate transfer case or rear diff, but it has some strange whine I've yet to hunt down.

The 2006-2012 RAV4 V6 uses the 2GR-FE engine, not the 1MZ-FE. But the rear plugs are still a PITA to change!

21 - 32 of 32 Posts