Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious, I love the pep of the I4 in my '05, wondering how well it will do pushing the extra weight of the '06 (I do see it's rated as 5 higher HP than last year).

Thanks, kj

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, numbers? Anyone?

MPG and curb weight?

-kj-

·
Super Moderator
1,559 Posts
Omega Man said:
4 cylinder 5spd = 3,223 lbs
4 cylinder 4 spd auto = 3,311 lbs
based on Euro spec
add a V-6 and add 150-200lbs
Yikes!! So the RAV4.3 gained over 300 pounds on the 4.2 and that's still the Euro-spec, which is 8" shorter!?!? Guess that means we have to add at least 100 more pounds to the North American specs? :shock:

RAV4.2 curb weight, manual/automatic (lbs.) 2WD (2897/2965) 4WD (3119/3186)

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Exactly! My sense from the get-go was that the '06 with the I4 and an auto would be underpowered, and the V6 with an auto would get significantly worse fuel economy.

We love our '05 and it appears to have been the right choice for us. Others will like the '06 I'm sure, the redesign doesn't have to appeal to everyone!

-kj-

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey karrock.....

karrock said:
Omega Man said:
4 cylinder 5spd = 3,223 lbs
4 cylinder 4 spd auto = 3,311 lbs
based on Euro spec
add a V-6 and add 150-200lbs
Yikes!! So the RAV4.3 gained over 300 pounds on the 4.2 and that's still the Euro-spec, which is 8" shorter!?!? Guess that means we have to add at least 100 more pounds to the North American specs? :shock:

RAV4.2 curb weight, manual/automatic (lbs.) 2WD (2897/2965) 4WD (3119/3186)
.....I don't mean to rain on your parade :wink: , but an 8-inch increase in length is not going to add just 100lbs to the weight.....You're looking at more like 200 to 300lbs over the EURO-SPEC RAV!!!

·
Registered
275 Posts
Re: Hey karrock.....

.....I don't mean to rain on your parade :wink: , but an 8-inch increase in length is not going to add just 100lbs to the weight.....You're looking at more like 200 to 300lbs over the EURO-SPEC RAV!!!
Depends where you add it. Looks to me that part of it is a rear plastic bumper and extending unibody cars doesn't involve that much metal. :)

·
Super Moderator
1,559 Posts
Re: Hey karrock.....

Shar Pei Puppy said:
Depends where you add it. Looks to me that part of it is a rear plastic bumper and extending unibody cars doesn't involve that much metal. :)
Perhaps 100 pounds sound like too much at first glance, but considering that just a hair over half of those eight inches in the RAV4.3's NA/Euro length differential are in the wheelbase, it's not too terribly far out of the question. Imagine all the mechanical and structural components in that segment that have to be extended to fill the gap.

And to counter victor555, I specifically said "... at least 100lbs ...". ;)

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Makes me even happier I chose not to wait, and got an 05. It's not a drag race car, so 0-60 in 8 or so is plenty. I think it sound to be much more of a balanced vehicle over the new one. With the new one either get a low cost, underpowered, overweight, probably few options 4 cyl. Or, get a more expensive, bigger, heavier with worse gas mileage, quick but no longer RAV4 agile SUV. Granted it is based on some assumptions, so take it for what it's worth.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
nread said:
heavier with worse gas mileage,
From the press release on the front page...

"The standard powertrain will be an upgraded 2.4-liter four-cylinder engine with VVT-i. The engine will deliver 166 horsepower, making it one of the most powerful in the small SUV segment. The increased power of the two powertrains is matched with improved fuel efficiency."

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If I had purchased an O5, I think that I would not want to like the 06!! But, seriously, the O6 is looking to be exactly what I am looking for. We're in the market now for a new small SUV and this couldnt come at a better time. We're very anxious to see one in person.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts