Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is a 300+ mile trip from Palo Alto bay area to Los Angeles.
This is my first real drive in my '16 Hybrid Limited.
Average MPG for all three legs of this trip is: 40.9 Mile Per Gallon !!! (does that seem right?)
I've taken this same trip multiple times in my '98 corolla which got 38 miles per gallon (average).

Here's the ODO readings plus pics:

Code:
[B]LEG	CITY	ODO	MPG(avg)	MPH(avg)	TIME(elapsed)	DISTANCE(google maps miles)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
	PA	183	18.5
1.	SN	268	45.0		32		02:40		85.8
2.	WR	455	37.7		63		02:58		188
3.	LA	536	40		49		01:39		82
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Combined:	353	40.9		48		07:17		355.8

PA = Palo Alto          SN = Santa Nella
WR = Wheeler Ridge      LA = Los Angeles
[/B]
Route Map:

ODO reading in Palo Alto:

ODO reading in Santa Nella:

ODO reading in Wheeler Ridge:

ODO reading in Los Angeles:

Attachments

·
Registered
229 Posts
In addition to using fuelly to compare the accuracy with the mileage gauge, I can say that the gauge is pretty accurate.

·
Registered
109 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,936 Posts

The cost per gallon in Euros means he's using imperial gallons which means he's getting 37.8 MPG in US gallons which a reasonable expectation.

If the OP has the wrong units set in customization(Imperial gallons instead of US gallons, it would explain the unusual fuel economy, using actual miles traveled dividied by gallons used at refuel would be the best way to determine fuel economy, I've had wild variations between actual used and the instrument reading.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Ain't it about time you americans convert to the metric system, seems like the canadians has, even the brits slovly adapts moving away from; stone, pints and such ;-)

·
Premium Member
7,936 Posts
Ain't it about time you americans convert to the metric system, seems like the canadians has, even the brits slovly adapts moving away from; stone, pints and such ;-)

Take your pick!

1. We don't want to.

2. It's too expensive.

3. The benefits are negligible.

Why, we like it just the way it is, it works fine, why change! :smile

Why Hasn't The U.S. Adopted The Metric System? | Popular Science

Why Won't America Go Metric?

Moving to Meters Means Money - Why isn't the U.S. on the metric system? | HowStuffWorks

·
Registered
109 Posts
Thank You for the educating links, some of the statements did make me smile. "The world’s most anti-metric nation—Great Britain—grudgingly began to ditch its Imperial system in the 1970s because it was the only way to gain access to the markets of continental Europe." Well they have decided to leave the Union so they probably will go back to their old ways. I find it extra amusing that UK and her former colonies have different gallons :-D

·
Registered
449 Posts
We are a bit mixed up. We use metric, km/h, litres/100km and imperial gallons. Wish our politicians decide on one and stick with it.:serious

·
Registered
229 Posts
Why does your fuelly say 35.7 Avg MPG,
while my odometer says for my trip, 43.9 Avg MPG ?
Do you drive like Mario Andretti?
I drove about 7000 miles before I started Fuelly and tracking the mpg. It is only recently that I started driving a lot differently. Before that I was doing whatever everyone in the left lane was doing. Because I drive so much each day, its actually better I use the car to its potential.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts