Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about doing a little light off roading with my bone stock 2016 Limited Hybrid. I've been up to Flagpole Knob (George Washington National Forest, Virginia) in my lifted T100. The road up is not that bad as I recall. The lower campground road is nasty. I don't need to go there.

I know the RAV4 is light duty but, it's a Toyota. Would you do it?

·
Registered
138 Posts
I'm planning to do some light off roading to get to some hiking trails soon. I know the ground clearance isn't the highest and the AWD system isn't the best. I am curious about the AWD system and how it performs in real world situations. So, it'll be some trial and error in the beginning. Just know your limitations when off roading.

Take some pics of your TRH if you do go off roading.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Thinking about doing a little light off roading with my bone stock 2016 Limited Hybrid. I've been up to Flagpole Knob (George Washington National Forest, Virginia) in my lifted T100. The road up is not that bad as I recall. The lower campground road is nasty. I don't need to go there.

I know the RAV4 is light duty but, it's a Toyota. Would you do it?
Heck yes! In fact I plan on it - after mine comes off the assembly line and is delivered. In the meantime I would like you to do it and report back with pictures please. :) I will be putting BFG AT tires or equivalent on it too. @ST-Bob has reported some off road/snow experience already.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I took mine through a few rocky trails, that required a bit of rock crawling, it did fairly well maintaining EV mode in all put the largest climbs. More than enough torque to pull the weight of the truck, over objects. In the event the EV couldn't provide the engine would kick in, somewhat clumsily, and then the rear wheels coming into play for brief moments, a bit too briefly really.

Rock crawling as a hobby with various built jeeps, the RAV 4 is hardly a 4x4, by any measure, but with a bit of smart steering, it did go places i wanted. Despite the AWD clearly not intended for off road duty, it did provide the extra amount to get places at slow control speed

I couldn't tell if traction control on or off, really played a big role, nor was I able to tell if the rear wheels have any limited slip diff or if it's just open. Again this was fairly light stuff, but still more than most SUV ever see. The suspension really has no mentionable articulation so the entire body would just rock around, but the RAV 4 did a good job, and got further than I think one would expect.

Should if have better tires, and a driver willing to bang up a new car with just 500 miles on it, it would of done a bit better, but you don't buy a hybrid for such things anyways.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I encounter bad roads every week. Not severely bad, though. I used to take them in my Prius, and I had to be really careful. Often times I would scrape the front bumper. This is one of the major reasons I got the RAV4 hybrid.

So far, the experience has been great. I can take those pot-hole roads and crazy driveway dips with much more confidence, and drive off the edge of the road where I couldn't before. (It helps when letting other cars coming the other direction go by.)

Regarding the AWD, I haven't had the tires slip at all yet in the rain, whereas my Prius would often slip on train tracks and on the paint of crosswalks (when wet with rain). I also drove in a little bit of mud and had no problems. If it was "kicking in" the use of the back wheels, I didn't notice any transition.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My son went with me in the T100. He doesn't think Ravage can make it on stock tires. I'm a bit more confident. I wanted to try it today but my lady already made plans for us. The other issue is snow melt mud.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts