Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 119 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just installed mudflaps on 2006 RAV4. Now, I'm no automotive genius but I'm telling you this was a snap. If I said it took me 15 minutes, I'd be exaggerating.

A few simple tips that might help you out:

FRONT: Turn the front wheels left/right to make it easier to get the screw driver fully into the wheel well when tightening the screws on the front mud flap screws.

BACK: I had to do NO drilling and did NOT have to remove the rear tires at all. Here's how...

Those "apparently" closed-up holes are already "dimpled" - maybe just covered with paint perhaps. Simply push hard a little with the screw in the screw driver to get it started. Then once that nicely sharp-pointed screw catches on, you're on your way.

EXTRA TIP: There're a couple of screws that are a little hard to tighten with your screw driver - because the tires are in the way - hey, rear wheels don't turn! ;-) But that's no big deal... simply use an adjustable wrench to tighten those couple of screws - the screw heads are HEX shaped and lend themselves nicely to being tighted that way. A wrench goes up against the screwheads parallel to the wheel well - no problem.

In fact, afterwards I went over the other screws with the hex wrench too, just to put an extra twist on them beyond what my screw-driver could do.

Piece of cake, folks. If I can do it in 15 minutes, trust me, you can do it in 10. Toughest part was driving it from garage to driveway.

:)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ooh yes please post pics. I would love to see. I want them on my rav too- not sure I can install it. LOL

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Girrl said:
ooh yes please post pics. I would love to see. I want them on my RAV too- not sure I can install it. LOL
it's really easy, especially for the sport. here's a pic of my mudflaps that i purchased from eBay

·
Registered
43 Posts
Where did you get them?

so4reelz... If you don't mind, where did you get them? Are the one's for Toyota or did you get them somewhere else?

Thanks

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
PghRav4-

Thanks for the tips.

Followed your advice and had the install done in less than 20 minutes. Easy as pie.

X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: Where did you get them?

so4reelz said:
kevvan said:
so4reelz... If you don't mind, where did you get them? Are the one's for Toyota or did you get them somewhere else?

Thanks
i bought them off of eBay from a Toyota dealership. they are genuine Toyota mudflaps. I bought it from this seller, however i have seen cheaper ones now: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...PageName=MERC_VIC_RSCC_Pr12_PcY_BIN_Stores_IT

i did the same but from other seller, im still waiting my dealer to get the fender flares for my car and then install the mudflaps, just a question, are hard mudflaps? im planning to paint them to match the color of my car and see the results.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yes, they are hard and the material feels like rubber. it'll be interesting to see how it'll look painted. my old altima had color matched mudflaps and it looked nice.

X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
so4reelz said:
yes, they are hard and the material feels like rubber. it'll be interesting to see how it'll look painted. my old altima had color matched mudflaps and it looked nice.
i really like the rav4 paint, i mean all the parts are the same color, not like crv, etc that has a lot of black parts. So i think is very good idea to paint the mudflaps too.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i went out to check my mudflaps again, and it actually feels more like plastic than rubber. post some pics once you get it painted. we would like to see it!

X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
flyingn said:
The paint will not stick to it unless you use paint specifically for flexable plastic parts..
of course my friend has a paint shop so he will paint with professional materials etc. Im not using pepgirls paint hehe

·
Registered
15 Posts
What exactly is the purpose of mudflaps? I assume to reduce the amount of dirt (and road salt?) on the vehicle?

Our new RAV is our first SUV, and we're struck by how dirty the back gets. Would mud guards help?

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
Yes and no. The flaps keep the rocks kicking up and damaging paint and also keeps the area behind the wheels a bit cleaner but NO it will not stop the back glass from getting dusty/dirty. Thats the air going over the roof and swirling behind the car doing that..

edwinston said:
What exactly is the purpose of mudflaps? I assume to reduce the amount of dirt (and road salt?) on the vehicle?

Our new RAV is our first SUV, and we're struck by how dirty the back gets. Would mud guards help?

·
Registered
43 Posts
edwinston said:

When you wash a vehicle, it's inevitable that there will be tar and debris on the sides, especially on the lower panels. The mudflaps aid in keeping that to a minimum and are well worth the investment.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
so4reelz said:
Girrl said:
ooh yes please post pics. I would love to see. I want them on my RAV too- not sure I can install it. LOL
it's really easy, especially for the sport. here's a pic of my mudflaps that i purchased from eBay

I just got my mudflaps in the mail today. :D I'm going to try to install them this weekend. I hope I do it right. :lol:

1 - 20 of 119 Posts