Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
do you guys think it will affect the gas mileage? I know it's behind the wheels but wind drag should be some what of an influence.

Any one have a picture of their 2006 rav4 w/ mud guard on it?

Thanks in advance

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well creates more turbulence and affects the coefficient. On the v6 I doubt you'll notice anything. On the I4 you may loose 0.5 mpg on highway speeds.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
every addition to the car affects aerodynamics, even the shape of the wheel spokes...

I said it will not affect it significantly, but it will at high speeds..

visors, deflectors, spoilers all affect aerodynamics...
ride with open windows and it will affect aerodynamics and fuel consumption

·
Registered
652 Posts
So lets say there is 24 square inches per flap of surface providing wind resistance. x 4 would be 96 sq inches. If someone could mount a 96 sq inch board to their roof and check their mileage that would be great. :D

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
first of all. Not all of the flaps are siticking out in the wind stream. Ill bet that only 5-10% tops is actually IN the windstream.. Thats the only part that counts.. rest of it whether its 400 in sq don't mean diddly if it aint in the windstream

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Put flaps on, drive 10K miles and compute average MPH. Take flaps off, repeat same test.

Make sure you all report results of tests here. Probably need to post the result to at least 2 decimal places for us to see the difference.

[Edited by Moderator RAVMAN]

·
Registered
118 Posts
My Rav came without the flaps. After putting them on, I saw no difference in my MPG. They do scratch the paint a little though. Dirt gets trapped between them and the paint. I had seen this before on my pickup, so when I installed them on the Rav I made sure the space between the body and flaps wa as small as I could get it. Yesterday I took them off to wax the car, and noticed they had indeed scratched the paint on the Sport flares. Not a big deal, since you cant see the scratches when the flaps are on, and it is on the plastic sport flares. I'd be concerned though if it scratched any of the metal parts. I wonder if they contact any of the metal body parts on the base or limited?

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok. It affects milage little.
But notice no cars in windtunnels have flaps on, nor visors etc.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts