Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

Just got my 2016 RAV4 yesterday and while I got the dealer to throw in some extras, mud guards were not one of them.

Most of my driving is standard highway and city roads, but I do occasionally drive on a gravel road a bit, so I'd like to add the mud guards to the RAV4 in the interests of doing everything I can to protect the paint.

I'm trying to decide between the Toyota OEM ones and the WeatherTech No-Drills. From reading the threads on this forum, it seems the OEM ones look more "factory/standard equipment," but are shorter than the WeatherTechs. Am I right about that? Is it probably going to make any difference?

I've found the PDF of the installation instructions for the OEMs (attached below for reference) so those look fairly straight forward to install. For the WeatherTechs, I am unclear if the RAV4 ones use their "twisting-cam" system or if they just use existing holes and bolts?

(Edit: I originally had attached the instructions for the RAV 2013 model; I've now corrected it with the instructions for the 2016 model. They are slightly different.)

--Michael

Attachments

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
I've found the PDF of the installation instructions for the OEMs (attached below for reference) so those look fairly straight forward to install. For the WeatherTechs, I am unclear if the RAV4 ones use their "twisting-cam" system or if they just use existing holes and bolts?

--Michael
They use existing holes and screws and come with the needed additional screws. The rears call for a short-handle screw driver or wrench.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Installed OEM myself with parts supplied by Toyota and on my XLE.

Like the OEM look too.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the link. I'm leaning towards the OEM ones....they are, after all, designed for the vehicle. And it looks as if one can get them a tad cheaper than the WeatherTechs!

·
Registered
71 Posts
I ordered OEM last week. Should be a nice fit. I am hoping they will lower the water noise on the undercarriage when it is wet out there. And I also hope they reduce the dirt and mud that accumulates at the bottom 1 inch of the doors.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all, just ordered the OEMs, hopefully they'll arrive Friday or Saturday. I've got a lengthy drive on Saturday so I'm hoping to have them on by then!

--Michael

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
I ordered OEM last week. Should be a nice fit. I am hoping they will lower the water noise on the undercarriage when it is wet out there. And I also hope they reduce the dirt and mud that accumulates at the bottom 1 inch of the doors.
Mine is a 2011 with OEM mud guards, they actually do nothing to keep snow, slush or mud from accumulating at the bottom of the door while driving. Every time I get out my pant leg gets covered. Perhaps your year model will do better.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sure, my RAV4 is white. It's going to get dirty. :D My motivation for the mudguards is simply to do everything reasonably possible and financially practical to minimize the frequency of rock chips, especially over the short distance of a gravel road I drive over once a month.

--Michael

·
Registered
139 Posts
I wish Rally Armor or Rokblokz would come out with some mud flaps for the RAV4. I had them on my Subaru and they provided extra protected than the OEM ones. They are wider, longer, and more flexible.

WeatherTech makes some mud flaps and they seem to be longer than the OEM ones. Does anybody have these? Curious to see if they provide extra protection than the OEM ones.

2016 Toyota RAV4 | Mud Flaps - No Drill Splash Guards for Trucks | WeatherTech.com

·
Registered
71 Posts
Mine is a 2011 with OEM mud guards, they actually do nothing to keep snow, slush or mud from accumulating at the bottom of the door while driving. Every time I get out my pant leg gets covered. Perhaps your year model will do better.
Not sure we are talking about the same area. I was referencing the bottom of the inside of the driver door. Don't think your pant leg touches there.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Installed oem mud guards yesterday. As someone above mentioned, these things do absolutely nothing to prevent that area of the door from getting caked with water and road debris.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, I installed the OEM mudguards this afternoon. It went fairly smoothly, even for one as mechanically challenged as me. The only tools needed are 8 & 10 mm sockets and a phillips screwdriver.

The front mudguards are easy, just three screws each. The rear ones are a little more complex as you remove two existing screws and insert some spring clips. All of my spring clips were just slightly too wide, so I used a pair of pliers to gently crush them so they would hold in position on the existing trim. Also, when installing the rear guards, don't get the existing screw that goes into the bottom of the guard with the supplied screw that goes into the hole next to it. They are different threads.

Time will tell if these were better than nothing or only as good as nothing. Probably the best thing for me to do to protect the paint is to slow down on that gravel road I drive on occasionally!

--Michael

·
Registered
248 Posts
I bought the OEM mudguards off Ebay for $58 and put them on my 2015 Rav LE myself. The dealer wanted $199 for them installed. They were simple to put on and look good.

·
Registered
8,581 Posts
I also have the OEM mud guards on my '11 4.3 RAV. As pico noted the front guards aren't effective in preventing mud and other debris from accumulating on the front driver side rocker panel and bottom of that door, but they do help to a degree. They would be better if they were somewhat longer, and it would be a nice touch if they would match the RAV's body color.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Well, I installed the OEM mudguards this afternoon. It went fairly smoothly, even for one as mechanically challenged as me. The only tools needed are 8 & 10 mm sockets and a phillips screwdriver.

The front mudguards are easy, just three screws each. The rear ones are a little more complex as you remove two existing screws and insert some spring clips. All of my spring clips were just slightly too wide, so I used a pair of pliers to gently crush them so they would hold in position on the existing trim. Also, when installing the rear guards, don't get the existing screw that goes into the bottom of the guard with the supplied screw that goes into the hole next to it. They are different threads.

Time will tell if these were better than nothing or only as good as nothing. Probably the best thing for me to do to protect the paint is to slow down on that gravel road I drive on occasionally!

--Michael
Do you have pics of this install?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Purchased a set of OEM mudflaps through eBay, received them in 4 days, for my 2016. Installed in about a hour. One screw on the back pair was a little tricky (you need a stubby screw driver). I didn't realize how much of the body was plastic. The "flaps" are hard plastic, not very thick, will have to see how durable they are.

You'll need 8mm and 10mm sockets, a 6" or so extension bar, and a phillips screwdriver (preferably one of those stubby ones). Didn't have to take off the tires, but it did help to turn the front ones all the way to the sides.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 40 Posts