Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got some mud on my car recently, and took care of it with a cheapo drive through car wash.

But now when I open the door, I see the bottom edge has about an inch wide stripe of dried up mud on the inside.

What do people normally do to clean that? I saw a youtube where someone put a garden sprinkler under their car. Is there a special spray nozzle made for cleaning under the car? I imagine there must be more dried mud present than what I can see, and it's probably bad for the paint.

Also I live in California where we're in a drought, so I'm supposed to conserve water.

One "solution" I read is to drive through a stream. I don't think I have that option.

Thanks!

·
Registered
192 Posts
I have the same problem in the winter with the snow and slush. Poor design of the door and the miniscule mud guards that do not prevent the slush or mud from spraying under the door.

Frank 2015 Rav4 XLE AWD with 11400 miles

·
Registered
124 Posts
I got some mud on my car recently, and took care of it with a cheapo drive through car wash.

But now when I open the door, I see the bottom edge has about an inch wide stripe of dried up mud on the inside.

What do people normally do to clean that? I saw a youtube where someone put a garden sprinkler under their car. Is there a special spray nozzle made for cleaning under the car? I imagine there must be more dried mud present than what I can see, and it's probably bad for the paint.

Also I live in California where we're in a drought, so I'm supposed to conserve water.

One "solution" I read is to drive through a stream. I don't think I have that option.

Thanks!
Hi Robert - I'm in CA as well. Another solution to consider are running boards (I have OEM). Even after some messy Sierra runs I've never had this situation you described.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Robert - I'm in CA as well. Another solution to consider are running boards (I have OEM). Even after some messy Sierra runs I've never had this situation you described.
Thanks. I just looked it up on the Toyota web site, and it says running boards are not available on the hybrid model.

Today I was at the dealership, and they suggested going to a DIY car wash, and spraying from underneath.

·
Premium Member
7,938 Posts
Thanks. I just looked it up on the Toyota web site, and it says running boards are not available on the hybrid model.

Today I was at the dealership, and they suggested going to a DIY car wash, and spraying from underneath.

Depends on your location as to what options are available, I just "built" a Limited Hybrid and was able to add running boards for $549.

·
Registered
208 Posts
This what I've been looking for. I traveled through Yellowstone NP and there was some road construction. The dirt or clay has been horrible to get off in the wheel wells and inside the door sills. I'm hoping in time I'll get it all off and now I know that the running boards will prevent this from happening again. :D

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have the same problem in the winter with the snow and slush. Poor design of the door and the miniscule mud guards that do not prevent the slush or mud from spraying under the door.

Frank 2015 Rav4 XLE AWD with 11400 miles
Same here with my 2016 XLE AWD. Snow and slush congregate on the bottom of the doors, but luckily it doesn't get into the car.

·
Registered
428 Posts
A bottle of detail spray and a damp rag will wipe it right off. I actually read one lady that sold her car because it got her pants dirty, so this question does not surprise me LOL. :lol:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts