Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Toyota Rav4
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone!

I was wondering if anybody had any so clue to what problem I'm having with the muffler. I have my 2007 RAV4 now for about a year now, and I bought it from a used dealer. When I got the car the muffler had a pin hole that they were fixing as soon as the new muffler was delivered and mind you this problem wasn't happening at this time. Once the new muffler was put on after about a month or so, I notice this rattling coming from the muffler, I started it would be happening when I would back up. it would get louder and more frequent when I ran the air-conditioning. Which is understandable the engine is working harder because of the compressor. Also when I'm coming out of park and when I hit the gas it would give a short rattle and stop. I had my friend look at it, and when you held it up by the back end it would stop rattling. My friend said that a bushing is broken or it's missing. That's why it's rattling, he said. I went back to the dealership, and they replaced the muffler. When I and the co-owner went to pick up my car, the mechanic said it was doing it still. It was still under the lift and we were tapping it and it was still doing it. The older mechanic said, it sounds like the baffles are broke inside. So the other mechanic bent the bushing a bit it made it quieter. But, it went right back to the way it was a day later. I got an oil change and one mechanic was like the baffles inside or like shot and you need a new muffler. Last month I got my car inspector by my own mechanic who said the baffles were shot and that I needed a new muffler. My friend insisted that they were all wrong and it's the bushings and that they must have put on the wrong muffler on that they ordered and what is the coincidence that two mufflers are put on within two months and the baffles are shot, but when you hold up the muffler its stops. Now I check to see if it was the heating shield and its on tight, so I ruled that out. Even when I looked up on youtube I looked up a video for baffles and it made the same sound in the video. My friend said it's the bushings. What do you guys think? Dealing with this for over a year now. Thank You for any feedback :frown

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
When the muffler was replaced, was it with a Toyota OEM part, or was it with an aftermarket item? If the replacement was aftermarket, was it welded in place, or attached with clamps such as with U-clamps? Ordinarily one would not expect that a new muffler would fail so quickly with the internal baffles breaking loose from their welds. If the replacement muffler(s) was/were not welded in place the rattle problem could be with the clamped joints at the rest of the system. Also the point of attachment for the exhaust head pipe to the engine exhaust header should be checked for tightness.

·
Registered
2007 Toyota Rav4
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is not the original, it's an aftermarket muffler. But like I said, I seen a Youtube video that had the same noise as I have and it was about the baffles.
If that is the case then I need an OEM muffler. Now the one company that makes the aftermarket muffler is part number 55544 I forgot what company makes it. I think that is why it's doing this.

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
On the audio/video it sounds like the noise is coming from inside the muffler but since metal transmits sounds readily along all of the solid assembly it is difficult to determine for certain. The muffler in that video obviously has been around the block more than a few times. Also, from the video it isn't possible to determine how the muffler was attached to the rest of the exhaust system.

·
Registered
162 Posts
if its a walker 55544 then you need to bend the 2 front weld-mounts pegs that the rubber muffler insulators attach to, the aftermarket muffler you may have is the walker 55544, its different from the oem type but does work well as a bolt-on type, the only other problem i encountered is the rear spring bolt kit, had difficult time with it and used the original, you will have to sand or use a grinder flap wheel and cleanup the front head pipe at the cut or slip-fit connection point where you decide to make that cut, after that it slips in easily and bolts on fine, just take a 3 ft 1" diameter cheater pipe and bend the 2 front weld-mount pegs down to get the clearance you need for minimum of 1/2", hope this helps

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’m having this same issue with my 07. I recently replaced my muffler with the Walker and it was working great. Then my wife said she was hearing a noice when backing in the garage. I went out there and listened and didn’t hear anything. Then Today (a week later) I was backing her Rav in and heard the exact noise you all are talking about. However I dont understand how bending the pegs will help the noise? It’s been just fine for 3 months why would the pegs just now be causing a problem?

·
Super Moderator
10,126 Posts
What you likely heard was the exhaust system banging on the body at some point. It could be close but be okay most of the time. When backing the engine/transaxle twists just enough in the opposite direction as it does driving forward to cause the rattle. Bending the mounting pegs gives enough clearance margin to stop the banging. I'd also tighten all the clamps since one of the joints probably slipped somewhat since installation causing this new rattle.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts