Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm working on my sister-in-law's 2005 Rav4 (175,000 miles). It is currently experiencing bucking and loss of power above 2500 rpm. The only code showing is a P0420 code, which refers to the catalytic converter (or rather, the readings coming off the cat from the downstream O2 sensor). This will be the 4th cat converter on this car. The first one lasted approx 120,000 miles, but the past 2 aftermarket cats have only lasted 50k combined. I don't understand how this car has gone through 2 converters in the past year.

A local mechanic wants $650 to replace the cat, apparently with an OEM toyota part which he says will fix the reoccurring problem with the aftermarket cats. I'm not sure how his estimate is so low, the cheapest OEM cat I could find was $600. Locally they are more than $1000 from Toyota dealerships.

Any suggestions to fix this reoccurring problem? Or any work around so the aftermarket cat last longer than 6-12 months?

Thank you

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
So what brand catalytic converter have you used so far ?

The local mechanic price looks like it is in the right ball park.

Toyotapartsdirect has the cat for $419 and labour should be around 1.5 hours. Part #250512843. (gasket #1717328010 $22.40)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. I didn't expect the cat to include the exhaust manifold. It seems like the aftermarket ones don't include the manifold.

I don't know what brands they have used so far. I'm guessing they were both at the discretion of whatever shop they had do the work. I can't even crawl under there as I don't currently have the car. Are there some brands that people have had more success with?

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
The manifold and cat are built into one. (even the aftermarket ones) The Toyota ones seem to last the longest due to the materials that are being used. I have not heard of any aftermarket cat that could outlast a Toyota cat. I think all the Rav4 have this same design unlike other types below the exhaust. Too bad Toyota put the cat in the exhaust because otherwise the further away it is the long the life.

·
Registered
2015 Rav4 XLE AWD
213 Posts
I believe that if the engine is burning oil it severely shortens the life of the catalytic converter and I know that Gen 3 engines before 2009 had oil problems. If the 2005 was burning oil then the replacements were exposed to oil from day one whereas the original and a number of oil free miles before the rings failed.

Frank 2015 Rav4 XLE AWD with 10550 miles

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great, thanks for the info. That makes a lot of sense.

I just ordered the parts I thought I needed, but after looking at the product catalog on rockauto I'm a bit confused.

Is there a front and a rear catalytic converter? The parts catalog shows a "manifold converter" and a rear catalytic converter. I'm concerned that I ordered the wrong one. I've attached a picture of the rear converter from the catalog.

EDIT: Just called Toyota and confirmed there is a front and rear cat. I need to replace the rear cat converter.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
That pipe is the resonator in the middle. Walker exhaust calls it a resonator so I doubt it is actually a cat.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts