1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1998 Totoya Rav 4
157,000 Miles
Front Wheel Drive

My girlfriend told me that her car was running rough - so I decided to take it for a spin. The car is lacking any type of power and stutters and falters from a stop. When coming to a complete stop and not pressing on the throttle the car feels like it is going to stall - for some reason putting the car in neutral somewhat alleviates this issue - but doesn't take it away completely.

After getting it to my house and hooking it up it spit out the following codes -

PO300 - MULTIPLE CYLINDER MISFIRE
PO302 - CYLINDER 2 MISFIRE
PO303 - CYLINDER 3 MISFIRE
PO505 - IAC SYSTEM MALFUNCTION
PO446 - EVAPORATIVE EMISSION CONTROL SYSTEM VENT CONTROL CIRCUIT MALFUNCTION.

What would be my first step in correcting this? Would I need to replace the spark plugs, and see if that helps? Seafoam?

I would appreciate any assistance on how to keep this good ol' girl on the road a little longer.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
This might seem crazy, but first check that the gas cap is turned in properly.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Try new ignition wires, don't buy Bosch, Denso or NGK are best, probably best to remove IAC and clean the throttle body but you could try Seafoam spray, never tried it myself ....
Plugs should be twin electrode type but misfire is usually the wires.
Good luck and welcome!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah - I checked that.. The car was on almost on E when I took it for a drive.. She doesn't drive this car often since she has a work vehicle - So I was wondering if she maybe had some old/bad gas in there making it run rough.. I stopped at the gas station and put some fresh premium fuel in there, and checked the gas cap - hoping that maybe that would fix the problem.. After driving several miles in the car I did not notice a difference.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will replace them tonight - I have heard good things about the seafoam. So I might give that a try. I have loosened the air intake and sprayed some carb cleaner into the throttle body and rubbed it down - it was caked with carbon buildup in there. Even if the Seafoam doesn't fix the issues I am having now - it might just help the engine run better anyway. I might as well replace the spark plugs while I'm replacing everything else. I hope that will fix the issue - I am just trying to avoid having to replace the IAC - it seems rather easy to replace, but it looks like the part alone is around $200. Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I will replace them tonight - I have heard good things about the seafoam. So I might give that a try. I have loosened the air intake and sprayed some carb cleaner into the throttle body and rubbed it down - it was caked with carbon buildup in there. Even if the Seafoam doesn't fix the issues I am having now - it might just help the engine run better anyway. I might as well replace the spark plugs while I'm replacing everything else. I hope that will fix the issue - I am just trying to avoid having to replace the IAC - it seems rather easy to replace, but it looks like the part alone is around $200. Thanks for your help!

Were you able to fix the issue? I have the misfiring codes and haven't had any luck after replacing the plugs, coils, the cables I have yet to try so that's next and a friend said I should also replace the vacuum switching valve but it's a real pain to reach

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Y'all also make sure your engine-to-body ground is good. Search the site for info on ground straps corroding, and how to add a separate one. I ran an extra, heavy negative wire directly from the battery to the bracket on the front of the engine.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Were you able to fix the issue? I have the misfiring codes and haven't had any luck after replacing the plugs, coils, the cables I have yet to try so that's next and a friend said I should also replace the vacuum switching valve but it's a real pain to reach
The VSV behind the engine is hard to reach, but some of the others are easy. My Rav4 has at least 5 vacuum switching valves, be sure you replace the right one.
What codes are you getting and what year is your Rav4?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts