Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving my RAV4 for to work one morning and it felt like the clutch went out.. I limped it to work.. I got to go home early that day to beat traffic and for some reason the clutch worked all the way home... I decided to bite the bullet and get it repaired. I called the dealer and decided with a local recommended shop.... Long story short Clutch was fine but the transmission housing cracked. The Previous owners or repair people apparently didnt know how to torque bolts. And that was the final straw.. So if anyone wants or needs anything I may be able to save it before its off to the pick and pull.. However car is in Texas and I wont pull major stuff just to get a shipping quote... Its just sad a 2 door Convertible that's fairly complete is going to get crushed.. :crying ,,, It took forever to even find it..

·
Registered
412 Posts
I was driving my RAV4 for to work one morning and it felt like the clutch went out.. I limped it to work.. I got to go home early that day to beat traffic and for some reason the clutch worked all the way home... I decided to bite the bullet and get it repaired. I called the dealer and decided with a local recommended shop.... Long story short Clutch was fine but the transmission housing cracked. The Previous owners or repair people apparently didnt know how to torque bolts. And that was the final straw.. So if anyone wants or needs anything I may be able to save it before its off to the pick and pull.. However car is in Texas and I wont pull major stuff just to get a shipping quote... Its just sad a 2 door Convertible that's fairly complete is going to get crushed.. :crying ,,, It took forever to even find it..

I don't understand why you can't get it fixed.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
to me it isn't worth the money to pay someone to do it.it was purchased to replace my daily beater. turns out I'm glad I never sold my beater car yet.the transmission needs a new or used case.. first gear synros are a little funny so you might as well rebuild or replace

·
Registered
412 Posts
to me it isn't worth the money to pay someone to do it.it was purchased to replace my daily beater. turns out I'm glad I never sold my beater car yet.the transmission needs a new or used case.. first gear synros are a little funny so you might as well rebuild or replace
I think if you fix it up finding some used parts off of ebay and if you keep it, your car can get you some good money 5 to 10 years down the road.

·
Registered
62 Posts
So sorry to hear it, man. I know how you feel.

I am interested in TONS of parts, especially softop-related parts, if you decide to go that route. I hope you can find a cheap fix, I like knowing there are other soft toppers out there

·
Super Moderator
11,230 Posts
to me it isn't worth the money to pay someone to do it.it was purchased to replace my daily beater. turns out I'm glad I never sold my beater car yet.the transmission needs a new or used case.. first gear synros are a little funny so you might as well rebuild or replace.
Yeah, taking repairs to a dealer/shop quadruples the price of DIY. But if you could find a mechanic who works at home on the side for extra $$$ and have him install a used tranny from a parts yard it might become reasonable.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I hate to say this but this is actually good news to me. is the mechanic is just going to take the car. if I want the car out of the shop I will have to spend some money..but it still requires two or three buckets of money to get it drivable again.. I mean it does need everything. or at least that's how I would do it I would throw new control arms ,new rear differential bushings, rebuilt transmission, new clutch, new power steering rack all the stuff it needs. that's how I would prefer to do it ..but it cost too much and I don't want to tie up my garage that long... I have another car I've owned for 25 years+ that needs some love. So I will part with the rav4.
I may have a new factory back window for sale for a soft top straight from Japan.. Factory service manuals may be showing up to eBay soon.if you want that stuff be on the lookout for it. this form has been pretty helpful.so thanks for all your help and opinions.

·
Super Moderator
11,230 Posts
I mean it does need everything. or at least that's how I would do it I would throw new control arms ,new rear differential bushings, rebuilt transmission, new clutch, new power steering rack all the stuff it needs.
Agreed. If you haven't kept it in good repair it's time to part with it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I only have had it maybe 3 or 4 months.. i should have brought in for clutch replacent sooner.. that would havw saved the tranny case

1 - 9 of 9 Posts