Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
its not really mean that the engine is going to stop/dead its not stalling.... i just notice that after 10-15 minutes running and i stop for the first (time) red light/stop sign, and when i pump the gas (pedal) it hesitate for a while and i can feel that the gas pedal is getting stiff but after that its all okay... i dont know if this is a related problem from the first post "RAV Stalling...." . and now i need some idea from u guys whats happening... is it a problem with the fuel pump/injectors.. ???? btw, it just happen a few months ago when the temperature drops in our area.

thanks in advance.

·
Registered
422 Posts
You possibly need to clean the throttle body. When I had my '96 Rav it did that too, step on the gas and the pedal didn't want to move. Cleaning the throttle body did the trick. Not hard to do yourself (there are probably instructions either somewhere on this site or on www.rav4oz.com) or you can pay your dealer about $75 to do it.

Becky

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Becky.

I'll try ur suggestion, but maybe not this weekend there's some snow coming in our area and they said (the "weatherman") its gonna be big. :(

Thanks again.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Cleaning the throttle body just involves shooting some throttle body cleaner into the throttle valve opening. Some people say do it with the engine off, others say do it with the engine on.

Use throttle body cleaner instead of carb cleaner because it won't damage the TPS sensor and other TB parts. Gumout and a few others make a specific cleaner for TB's.

I just took off the air filter box assembly to expose the throttle butterfly valve, and sprayed some cleaner into the opening onto the butterfly valve and surrounding area then wiping the area with a clean rag. I didn't need to spray a lot because the valve wasn't very dirty.

I did it with the engine running; I had to operate the throttle manually to open/close the butterfly valve, and to keep it front stalling because I took off the MAF sensor and disconnected a few things. Of course the ECU freaked out and threw some codes because of the disconnected sensors, but I just reset it when I was done and all was fine.

My throttle body was pretty spotless for 50K miles, but I wanted to do it anyway since I already had the can of cleaner sitting in the garage. I didn't need to use a toothbrush either, just a rag here and there.

Some people say to spray a little silicone lubricant onto the TB butterfly valve and surrounding area, however I'm a little reluctant to spray that into the TB and get it in my engine, so I didn't bother.

T

·
0 Posts
Some people say to spray a little silicone lubricant onto the TB butterfly valve and surrounding area, however I'm a little reluctant to spray that into the TB and get it in my engine, so I didn't bother.
I wouldn't spray silicone sealant due to the fact that it can add on to your carbon deposits -especially valve- and cause poor engine performance.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the addt'l info guys. I just hope I could clean it ASAP. But the weather is not cooperating, in my area.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts