Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently hit the 116,000 km (72,000 miles) mark on my vehicle. I've averaged 9.7 l/100km (24 mpg) on primarily highway driving (with stop and go traffic at times on the freeway).

At just under 60,000 km had the entire glove box replaced under warranty for a broken latch at the handle. Had 2 transmissions replaced at 97,000 -100,000 km(luckily just within the powertrain warranty), 2 windshields due to stones on the freeway (windshield rake seems to be a stone magnet), 3 front light bulb replacements, 1 fog light bulb replacement, and 1 licence bulb replacement. Apart from the usual maintenance, I just had to replace brake pads and machine the rotors once for all 4 brakes.

I'm still on the original tires but rotating with winter tires. While the transmission issues has made me lose some confidence with the Toyota brand, I still enjoy my RAV4.

·
Registered
7,916 Posts
For a moment, I thought I was reading about the V6 motor/transmission.
Tell us more about those transmission issues; I have hardly heard any on the 4.4 RAV4s

·
Registered
8 Posts
I second vanib, appreciate if you can post more information regarding your transmission issues. This is the first time i am reading about tranny issues in the 4.4. Are you towing something? Please if others can chime in if they have experienced tranny issues similar to the OP, thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't tow though I do have a hitch to carry bikes. I noticed a slight shudder at 40,000km, brought it in to the dealer, where a mechanic found no fault. At 65,000, I brought it in again as the shudder was more noticeable. This time their best mechanic acknowledged the sound but I was asked to monitor it. At 79,000km it got worst, at which the dealer ordered a transmission replacement. The replacement solved my problem.

At 97,000 km, I brought the Rav in for an oil change. When I got the vehicle back, I noticed my engine and abs light on and the tranny was shifting roughly. I immediately brought it back. They diagnosed it and said that there was a solenoid in the tranny that required replacement. I left it with them to replace. A day later, the dealer called and said the new solenoid did not fix the problem. They would have to order me another transmission.

So far, the second transmission is working well and shifting smoothly. It's easy to be skeptical about my story but I've attached snippets of the dealer's documentation of my problem. Hope this answers your questions.

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
I don't tow though I do have a hitch to carry bikes. I noticed a slight shudder at 40,000km, brought it in to the dealer, where a mechanic found no fault. At 65,000, I brought it in again as the shudder was more noticeable. This time their best mechanic acknowledged the sound but I was asked to monitor it. At 79,000km it got worst, at which the dealer ordered a transmission replacement. The replacement solved my problem.

At 97,000 km, I brought the Rav in for an oil change. When I got the vehicle back, I noticed my engine and abs light on and the tranny was shifting roughly. I immediately brought it back. They diagnosed it and said that there was a solenoid in the tranny that required replacement. I left it with them to replace. A day later, the dealer called and said the new solenoid did not fix the problem. They would have to order me another transmission.

So far, the second transmission is working well and shifting smoothly. It's easy to be skeptical about my story but I've attached snippets of the dealer's documentation of my problem. Hope this answers your questions.

Did you ever notice any hard downshifting to 4th gear on the highway, either with any of the previous transmissions or with the new one?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I never really noticed any hard downshifting with any of the transmissions, just upshifts. The new transmission shifts up and down smooth like butter.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Were both trannys newly manufactured, or were they rebuilt units did they say?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They didn't say but I would suspect the first one was re-manufactured. I can't imagine Toyota risking a third transmission replacement. Needless to say I was not a happy camper, the second time it happened.

All I can say is the latest transmission runs very smoothly versus the original and the replacement transmission.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Sounds like the dealership really stepped up to the plate for you in acknowledging the tranny issue both times. Hope you do not have any other issues.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Are the Atkinson engine / eCVT on the Hybrid very different from the regular gasoline model's engine and transmission?

Also, glad the LED lights will last longer though I heard they can be quite expensive to replace.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts