Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone... first time Rav4 owner here...

So far I like the Rav4 & enjoy the ride height. Although I do feel the engine is a bit underpowered at times and the suspension could be smoother (points that I have read on another thread on this forum), overall I am a happy Rav4 owner.

But there are some upgrades I intend on making to my vehicle to give it that extra bit of refinement.

*** Upgrades so far ***

- 35% Ceramic tint on front w/ 70% everywhere else (windshield included)
- 5000K HIDs -- low-beam
- Xtreme LED -- high-beam
- LED interior lights, fog lights, reverse & license plate lights
- All weather front and rear & cargo tray mats (OEM)
- 2-Way Remote Start + Alarm
- Auto-dimming mirror w/ Homelink & Compass

*** Future Mods to Come ***

- Dashcam (hardwired)
- 6 speaker upgrade + 4-Channel amp (will retain OEM headunit)
- Sound deadening (all doors)

** Pictures **

--> First day

--> After tint & carwash

·
Registered
258 Posts
Nice looking Rav. Since you have the XLE with the sun roof, all the wires you need for your Homelink mirror are right there in the sun roof controls. I installed the auto dimming, compass, homelink mirror in my 15 XLE and it was a quick install. The only other thing that I have really done is OEM mud guards.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
30K miles on a '15 is a little excessive to me, especially when I have a little over 12K miles on my '15 XLE bought new.

Good luck!

Looks just like mine btw. ?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Nice looking Rav. Since you have the XLE with the sun roof, all the wires you need for your Homelink mirror are right there in the sun roof controls. I installed the auto dimming, compass, homelink mirror in my 15 XLE and it was a quick install. The only other thing that I have really done is OEM mud guards.
Thanks!

I read about the sunroof wire tap on another thread and intend to do that. Do you happen to remember the model no. of your mirror & how much you payed? I would like the compass but the prices jump because of it on eBay.

30K miles on a '15 is a little excessive to me, especially when I have a little over 12K miles on my '15 XLE bought new.

Good luck!

Looks just like mine btw. ��
Yea, it was a rental vehicle so I wasn't surprised. Funny enough, I had to drive quite a distance to get it because my local dealers had cars w/ twice the milage wanted over $4K more than ended up paying. :confused:

·
Registered
9 Posts
HIDs

Hi,

How are you HIDs so far? I installed my HIDs in the second week I got my rav, and Toyota told me that it was because of the HIDs that caused all the problems that I have now. (refer to my HIDs thread for more details) Where did you get your HIDs from?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Hi,

How are you HIDs so far? I installed my HIDs in the second week I got my rav, and Toyota told me that it was because of the HIDs that caused all the problems that I have now. (refer to my HIDs thread for more details) Where did you get your HIDs from?
I haven't installed the HIDs yet -- hence why I put it under "Future Mods to Come" -- but I ordered them and they come in this weekend. After having bad experiences w/ cheaper HIDs kits, I ordered a set from a Canadian based company called XenonDepot.

I got their 5K Xtreme HID kit for my previous Camry and they were top quality. I no longer had the issue of my ballast refusing to start in cold weather and I didn't need relays because their ballast require very little amps at start-up. Ordered the same kit for my Rav4.

You can check out a review here.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,725 Posts
Body side moldings look nice--much better than naked doors:

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,725 Posts
What looks extra nice is that paint color ;)
Yeah, you really need to be careful with that silver RAV. Several people had warned me that silver or light gray cars get hit more because they are harder to see. It's true--sometimes I feel like my RAV is invisible because everybody is either pulling out in front of me or trying to change lanes into me! Wouldn't have that problem if it were red!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, you really need to be careful with that silver RAV. Several people had warned me that silver or light gray cars get hit more because they are harder to see. It's true--sometimes I feel like my RAV is invisible because everybody is either pulling out in front of me or trying to change lanes into me! Wouldn't have that problem if it were red!
I definitely here you on that...The other day in a parking deck, a Cadillac SUV was pulling out while I was waiting for another vehicle to come out and the driver obviously didn't see me and I had to horn at them :confused:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
HID & LEDs

Installed my 5000K Xtreme HID kit from XenonDepot last night as well as some Phillips LEDs I got from them. I got introduced to their products after this review on ToyotaNation & have not looked backed. I had the same kit on my previous 2015 Camry for over a year & a half with zero issues. Can't say the same for cheaper HID kits I used in the past.

Although the kit comes with a pair of relays, because their Xtreme ballast require little amperage at startup -- less than 4.5amps -- you can wire them directly to the factory harness.

I also have had flickering issues with the cheap 194 LED sets on eBay and Amazon. Hence, I spend the extra $$ on the Phillips and have never had them flicker a single day.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Can you show how you install your HID into your Rav4. I ordered the same HID you have from Xenondepot. Also, were did you purchase your interior LED?
I got the Phillips 194 LED from XenonDepot as well --> Click HERE

They are pricey but I went through so many led sets off Amazon & eBay within a few months due to flickering that I had to step up. I also like that they dim/fade out EXACTLY like OEM.

In regards to the HID install, here is a video on YouTube by Xenon Supply...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the reply, OmoPastor. How big is diameter you drilled on your cap cover? Do you just connect the xtreme ballast to the Rav4 headlight harness without using the included wire harness fro xenondepot kit. I'll try to install mine this weekend if weather permits. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the reply, OmoPastor. How big is diameter you drilled on your cap cover? Do you just connect the xtreme ballast to the Rav4 headlight harness without using the included wire harness fro xenondepot kit. I'll try to install mine this weekend if weather permits. Thanks in advance.
Approx 1" just as they did in the video.

As I said in my earlier post w/ the pics, the XenonDepot ballasts use little amperage at startup so I connected them directly without a relay. Had no issues in my previous vehicle.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Installed a remote start. Although the LE & XLE don't come with a factory alarm, I was able to integrate one using the factory horn (aftermarket sirens sound cheap to me).

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Took on a few projects this weekend...

Upgraded my fog lights to LED, installed an Auto-dimming mirror w/ Homelink & pre-wired the cables for my dash cam install.

The fog lights are a much better match to my XenonDepot 5000K HIDs, are slightly brighter than the OEM halogens and visible in the daytime.

-- Fog lights --

-- Rearview mirror --

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Two questions regarding the HID install - did you convert your Hi-Beams as well? Do you use your DRL's - because in the video the installer said not to use the DRL setting as it would kill the HID bulbs over time and I thought the DRL's were the Hi-Beam bulbs operated in a dimmed capacity?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Two questions regarding the HID install - did you convert your Hi-Beams as well? Do you use your DRL's - because in the video the installer said not to use the DRL setting as it would kill the HID bulbs over time and I thought the DRL's were the Hi-Beam bulbs operated in a dimmed capacity?
- You never install HIDs in your high-beam (unless it's a low & high-beam --> e.g H13 bulbs) because the ballasts will easily get damaged when you try to flash ppl or turn on your high-beams ON for short intervals.

- The installer in the video made an error. In the 2013+ Rav4, the DRL is in the high-beam housing & not the low-beam like he incorrectly stated. So I am able to use my DRL lights.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts