Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my new '21 RAV4 Hybrid Aug. 4. Has about 1,200 miles. Was getting between 52-56 mpg first few weeks! Temps cooled to about 60s-70s daytime/50s nighttime. Is this usual or unusual? Using 87 Octane (have filled up only twice:), and haven't gone below 52 mpg per total fill-up! Any other 2021 RAV4 Hybrid owners getting the same mpg? THANKS!

·
Registered
2021 RAV4 XLE Premium Hybrid
1,115 Posts
Got my new '21 RAV4 Hybrid Aug. 4. Has about 1,200 miles. Was getting between 52-56 mpg first few weeks! Temps cooled to about 60s-70s daytime/50s nighttime. Is this usual or unusual? Using 87 Octane (have filled up only twice:), and haven't gone below 52 mpg per total fill-up! Any other 2021 RAV4 Hybrid owners getting the same mpg? THANKS!
How are you calculating your MPG? The dash display can be a bit high. I also have a new hybrid (XLE Premium, delivered August 24). For the first tank the dash showed 45 MPG. On the second tank, it showed 43 MPG.

I have noticed that when refueling, the nozzle tends to cut off very early. If I continue slowly, I can get another two to three gallons into the tank. If you calculate your MPG from the amount of gas at the first stop, you will get a very high MPG. I did get one 50 MPG calculations even though I tried to fill the tank all the way up.

·
Registered
2019 Rav4 Hybrid LE
460 Posts
There are several fuel mileage threads on this site, use the search bar. You are at the upper end of mpg reported but with only 1200 miles on the car I think you can expect to see your overall change over time.

·
Registered
2019 Rav4 Hybrid LE
460 Posts
How are you calculating your MPG? The dash display can be a bit high. I also have a new hybrid (XLE Premium, delivered August 24). For the first tank the dash showed 45 MPG. On the second tank, it showed 43 MPG.

I have noticed that when refueling, the nozzle tends to cut off very early. If I continue slowly, I can get another two to three gallons into the tank. If you calculate your MPG from the amount of gas at the first stop, you will get a very high MPG. I did get one 50 MPG calculations even though I tried to fill the tank all the way up.
Notable members the search for the fuel tank issue. You may or may not want to have your fuel tank replaced due to your fill up issues. There is a TSB for this.

·
Registered
2 Posts
After almost 1 year of ownership every full tank fill-up was at least 50 MPG...
2021 Toyota RAV4 XLE Premium Hybrid
Kentucky (10/20)
Purchased new on 11/2020
ODO=7000+ miles
Reveived CSP (Customer Support Program) letter and time will only tell if there is an issue with the fuel tank (https://www.toyoheadquarters.com/th...ormance-customer-support-program-20te04.2092/)

(Date 10-2021)
ODO=5890 miles
About 90% city driving and tire pressure with manufacturer's recommendation setting at 33 psi. Yes, this is over 800 miles driven on a single tank.
Speedometer Trip computer Tachometer Gauge Odometer

(Date 11-2020)
ODO=734 miles
About 95% highway driving with mostly flat roadways with DRCC set between 50-60 mph and tire pressure with manufacturer's recommendation setting at 33 psi.
Speedometer Gauge Odometer Tachometer Auto part

·
Registered
25 Posts
After almost 1 year of ownership every full tank fill-up was at least 50 MPG...
2021 Toyota RAV4 XLE Premium Hybrid
Kentucky (10/20)
Purchased new on 11/2020
ODO=7000+ miles
Reveived CSP (Customer Support Program) letter and time will only tell if there is an issue with the fuel tank (https://www.toyoheadquarters.com/th...ormance-customer-support-program-20te04.2092/)

(Date 10-2021)
ODO=5890 miles
About 90% city driving and tire pressure with manufacturer's recommendation setting at 33 psi. Yes, this is over 800 miles driven on a single tank.
View attachment 172517
(Date 11-2020)
ODO=734 miles
About 95% highway driving with mostly flat roadways with DRCC set between 50-60 mph and tire pressure with manufacturer's recommendation setting at 33 psi.
View attachment 172518
That is very good. got my LE hybrid 6 months ago, fuel is 5.6 litre/100km, the MPG is 42 all the time, I use 87 Octane also. still very happy about the car, my 2011 Malibu 2.4L with front wheel drive will double the gas in same driving condition.

·
Registered
372 Posts
In nice weather, no air conditioning, and 30-60 MPH speeds, yes, I will get between 55 and 63 MPG. My average over the past 38K including two winters and plenty of high speed driving (80-112MPH), has been 44.7 MPG.

·
Registered
163 Posts
This thread must be in the lottery winners circle. I am a very careful and soft pedal driver and I pull off every chance I get to kick the EV mode on.
I have many legs that hit 50 some as high as 90 MPG but the tank average is still just a normal 40-45 in town.

On the highway if there even a little bit of wind 38MPG is hard to get at 70 MPH. If I stay behind a semi I can do better and with a tailwind and behind a semi - at 68 MPH I hit 47... Once.

There must be a variance in construction/manufacturing that makes some of these SUV's more fuel efficient than other even off the same assembly line. Mine also came from Kentucky around Octoberish.

Lastly.. I have had now 4 tank fills that have fallen short of full. one several tanks ago.. I stopped at first click
Then a few tanks later seemed early so I stopped after 2 clicks.. still not at the full mark
Then 2 tanks later -- two times in a row not hitting full even after three clicks past first shutoff. I am not going to go further.

Scheduled for the tank fill issue service next week..

So yes the 2021's are still suffering from this issue.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Notable members the search for the fuel tank issue. You may or may not want to have your fuel tank replaced due to your fill up issues. There is a TSB for this.
Not sure I understand this .. R U saying that there is a TSB indicating we may NOT want to do the tank replacement service? I think you are saying there is a TSB on the tank issue - we know this, but why would someone NOT want to do the service?
Thank!

·
Registered
2019 Rav4 Hybrid LE
460 Posts
Not sure I understand this .. R U saying that there is a TSB indicating we may NOT want to do the tank replacement service? I think you are saying there is a TSB on the tank issue - we know this, but why would someone NOT want to do the service?
Thank!
Mine falls short 2 gallons most of the time, but sometimes it fills all of the way ( certain gas stations ). I'm not having the service done because I don't want them taking my car apart and it really makes no difference to me. Not driving 500 miles straight at any one time without a break. Others have pointed out someone living in a very rural area not close to a service station would benefit from the full fill and I agree with that. I can get the tank full if needed by slow filling the last 2 gallons but apparently that can cause some other problems so I don't do that. If it fills full at some stations I don't know why slow filling would be an issue but I'll play it safe.

·
Registered
NC '19 Rav4 Hybrid Limited, Entune 3.0, Adaptive Headlights, Advanced Technology Package
2,087 Posts
Thank!
A large number of people here have gotten the fix and reported it worked. Personally, I got mine early and I'm sure I have filled 20 or more times since then with zero issues.

I have seen nothing changing or withdrawing the C-SP which was the announcement of availability or the TSB that gives the technicians the "how to do it".

·
Registered
2020 RAV4 hybrid XLE, Magnetic Grey metallic, cold weather package.
730 Posts
In nice weather, no air conditioning, and 30-60 MPH speeds, yes, I will get between 55 and 63 MPG. My average over the past 38K including two winters and plenty of high speed driving (80-112MPH), has been 44.7 MPG.
My is 44.7 as well for the last 10k miles.
I have the car for a year now. First 5 month barely drove got only 1200 miles at 38.6 mpg.
No last 5 month drive 400 miles a week
Highway 55 to 65 mph

·
Registered
2021 Limited Hybrid
252 Posts
I drive like an old man, (just retired) and I get average 45 - 50 mpg.

·
Registered
163 Posts
My is 44.7 as well for the last 10k miles.
I have the car for a year now. First 5 month barely drove got only 1200 miles at 38.6 mpg.
No last 5 month drive 400 miles a week
Highway 55 to 65 mph
I think you, Ivebeenrued the OP and others who are getting great mileage should join Fuelly.com because the clear middle of the road is way under what you guys are reporting.
This way the average can be raised from your input.
I am going to join but my spreadsheet average is just now getting to 40mpg .. granted my 21 just went over 6000 miles so it should go up from here - I hope.

·
Registered
2019 Rav4 Hybrid LE
460 Posts
Averaged 46.5 mpg for the 1st 3 months of ownership. Aftermarket wheels and tires changed that to 41 mpg but I'm very conscious of how I drive and take full advantage of the Hybrid's ability to coast without the ice braking effect of gas models. My 26k mile average is 41.1 mpg. I know I could lifetime average 45-46 mpg on stock size and weight wheels/tires. Live in NJ with plenty of hills, drive 25-35k miles a year. It's really about how you drive. Some members complain of lower than expected mpg ( 28 - 32 mpg ). My guess is they have a very heavy foot, live in a mountainous area, drive very short distances, or all of these combined. I drive like an old man as well because I am one, but in a respectful manner with consideration to others on the road. If no one is around I take full advantage of squeaking out as much as I can from the hybrid system. Getting an extra few mpg will not change anything in my life, its psychological.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have had my '20 XLE (Kentucky build) for a year now with 11,800 miles on it. In Charleston, SC the summer is blazing and the winter rarely dips below 30*. My weekly work trips are traditionally 160 miles (60 city / 40 highway) and I get 46ish in the summer and 42 in the winter. If I hit all highway, I normally travel around 78-80 mph and get about 37-38 mpg with rolling hills. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
There is a recall about the tanks not filling all the way. Not the best idea to keep topping it off, as the gas has no room to expand and can cause problems. FYI, I own a 2018 XLE AWD (wife's car) and a 2019 LE Hybrid. On average, I get over 41 MPG on the Hybrid. On a recent trip to Denver from No. CA and back, I averaged 39.6 MPG. A lot of the drive across Nevada, Utah and Wyoming had the cruise control at 80MPG (posted speed limit). Lots of mountains to climb, including the Continental Divide. Not bad! I am quite pleased with the Hybrid so far.

·
Registered
2020 RAV4 hybrid XLE, Magnetic Grey metallic, cold weather package.
730 Posts
I had my 2020 XLE hybrid for a year. Got it late last September.
Put on about 12k on it already but considering it was mostly parked for the first 5 month...

My usual commute is 420+ miles a week 410-416 for 5 weekdays about 80 miles a day, and a few miles over the weekend.
My commute takes 2 highways
One at 58mph and one at 68mph
Split about 20miles each.
My average mpg meter display 44.8mpg over Total miles.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.