Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at a local supermarket. When I tried to turn on the RAVer, the battery went dead. :? I pushed started it but when I got home, I left it on to see if it was just a simple question of re-charging the battery. No way, the engine just went dead on its own. Oh well, tomorrow just go to my local auto parts and purchase a new one, any advice guys? Has anyone had this happen to him/her? If so, what was it, a fuse maybe?

·
Super Moderator
1,554 Posts
mensajero said:
I was at a local supermarket. When I tried to turn on the RAVer, the battery went dead. :? I pushed started it but when I got home, I left it on to see if it was just a simple question of re-charging the battery. No way, the engine just went dead on its own. Oh well, tomorrow just go to my local auto parts and purchase a new one, any advice guys? Has anyone had this happen to him/her? If so, what was it, a fuse maybe?
You might want to have the battery checked... it could be possible you're alternator is going out...

J

·
0 Posts
:shock: Wow...that is strange. It sounds like you got a live wire directly to the ground or somthing. It's acts like the polarlty has reversed.... I'd check out the electrics including all connections to be on the safe side, or you might end up with the same problem again. :cry: If your lucky, it was one of those wires from the ground kit that was connecting to a live wire. Just a suggestion... :)

B

·
0 Posts
battery drain

mensajero,
How old was your old battery? I usually don't get more than 6 years out of a battery. What was the voltage at rest and when the engine was running?

To check for a drain, run your multimeter inline between the positive terminal and the positive post on the battery. Set the meter to miliamps to see what's coming out of the battery, it shouldn't be much at all.

Ground wires? Yeah, rip those things out of there and keep them out.

You could also see what the battery voltage is as you have someone actuate the throtte to see if it fluctuates at all. If so, I'd perform a more detailed test on the voltage regulator...that's prolly toast...

Bogatyr

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm already going to the Local Toyota dealer Electrical department this weekend. Since I'm starting to study again in August, I have to drive about two times a week to and from the university. I’ll need to check the Hella lights. I'm driving through a shortcut [Checho, por Monte Grande] which is close to where Nelson [Checho] lives. But the road is dark as a wolf mouth :twisted: . Very, very lonely during the night time. I'm still looking at a two hour drive going and coming back. That is why I said once in this forum. Their is nothing better then a warm Berretta to keep you company on a lone trip. If you know what I mean. :lol:

Oh yea, the Ground kit is history.

B

·
0 Posts
Interstate Battery Guru

Good that you went with the MT-35. Dont let them talk you into the bigger MTP-35. More Cold Cranking Amps means Slimmer plates which means more chance of failure!! take care!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts