Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My collision dilemma.

So about a month or two ago some moron hit my car straight in the driver's door at low speed. I have the car back now repaired. New drivers door. New rear door skin. New front quarter panel. New front rim and some suspension damage. And of course every plastic part anywhere around that side. Total damages $9000.

So now I'm wondering if I should keep it or get rid of it before all the new panels rust. Most people I've talked to say within 2 years of repairs the newly painted panels have rusted.

What are all of your experiences with collision repairs etc. and what would you do? It's a 2014 awd xle with nav and 13000 kms. I hate the thought of getting rid of it, but also hate the thought of a 3 year old car that is already rusting out. Then I wouldn't get anything for it.
Thanks for any replies/advice.

·
Registered
9,071 Posts
Sorry that your RAV was run into. In the U.S. regarding collision repairs I learned to insist that collision-damaged replaced items be OEM. Otherwise some shops use cheaper non-OEM items which may not have been treated to prevent rust and corrosion. That can result in one having to argue with their insurance company. An alternative could be to deal with an established body shop which warrants their replacement items for as long or longer than the original Toyota rust and corrosion warranty.

·
Registered
419 Posts
a) If you had repairs done by a hack, I'd be worried.
b) If collision work done by a licensed professional, with a clean shop & known for quality workmanship / wouldn't give it a second thought.

Last 3 of my 5 vehicles purchased in last 10 years, have been accident involved, while 1 car plus 1 truck being a total write-off (and the expensive HD 4x4 Silverado truck, totaled twice and entire frame replaced last time, prior to my buying it).
- I am a self trained body man (my hobby), so I won't pass up a branded ownership, if the price is right (below wholesale) & the auto body repair work, was top notch.

One such example, 2002 Volvo V70 and the right side fixed properly (hit hard enough for seat belts to lock up & deploy some air bags) & wagon restored/repainted 8 years ago...when I bought it fixed & safety checked at 144,000 KM...so we registered 153,000 Km on vehicle, over the years.
Below photo taken a few months ago, at time of used car sale...297,000 Km in total.
- still 100% rust free, after 13 y/o and driven on Ontario roads
- every winter the highways are covered in sand & salt here
- wax/oil undercoated 4 times, in the last 8 years of ownership (also helps, non-accident vehicles)
- dog legs, fender lips, door bottom seams very tight, etc...all sheet metal, still mint & rust free

Nodnerb if answer b): Keep your RAV4, and enjoy for many years / no need to unload & loose $.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately I'm not really sure of the reputation of the body shop. I took it back to the dealer I bought the vehicle from who gets their collision repairs done through a GMC dealership down the street. But I'm thinking I will keep it for now. I really don't want to sell it. I'll be keeping an eye on it for rust though.
Not to mention I've installed a sub, remote start and have winter wheels for this vehicle. That would be another big expenditure if I were to trade on something other than a rav. But I love my rav!!

Thanks again. Any comments still welcome on their repair experiences.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
I don't think you should have any problems with rust. If it was my vehicle I would have the new components rust protected with Krown or similar product. This treatment would almost guarantee no rust developing on the unpainted sides of these new parts.

To get rid of your 2014 RAV right now would be very costly. First of all the depreciation in value during the first year is the greatest. As you keep the vehicle longer, the losses become smaller each following year. Your 2014 RAV4 is listed with a Black Book value of $25,980 (in top condition). That is about $6000 that you have already lost due to depreciation.

The other problem is something that has always bothered me about insurance coverage. The insurance company will reimburse you for the cost of repairs, but you can still lose $1000's when trading in a newer model car. Even if your repairs had been done at the best shop in the province, a dealer will automatically reduce the trade in value by $1000- $2000 due to the severity of your damage ($9000).

So you have already lost about $6000 in depreciation and another $1500 (approx) due to the collision history. It would be a terrible thing to trade it in now when a $110 Krown treatment could alleviate your worries.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
have it oil sprayed by Krown, and be done with it...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Sorry to hear about your accident. I had an accident last year with the front of my RAV4 LTD. Some kid blew right by the stop sign. Anyway, my repair shop has guaranteed the work that they performed for as long as I own my car. Check and see with the body shop who did the work on yours. Ask them if there is any warranty on the work they did. Never hurts to ask. If they do stand behind their work, I would get something in writing just in case.

·
Registered
7,922 Posts
have it oil sprayed by Krown, and be done with it...
Shoddy workmanship from Bondo will not be prevented by Krown and any oil spray as rust will start from the outside.

But OP mentioned that has new parts installed. Those will not be rusting anytime soon .
Is there anything was fiberglassed to repair? All reputable shops that I have worked before give a lifetime warranty on their work.

Next time check their warranty before taking your car for repair.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the replies. I've decided to keep it. Largely because I want to and because it's been a fantastic vehicle so far. And all of your advice has helped ease my mind on the issue.
I wish I knew of the warranty. I figured it's best to just take it to the Toyota dealer I got it from. I found all toyota dealers in my city get their work done outside unfortunately. At least the body shop they use should be used to repairing toyotas. I'll look into the warranty of the dealer toyota used though.
Yes vanib, all of the damaged panels were replaced so there should be no bondo at all.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Realizing that a Canadian warranty is probably different than what we have here in the states, take a look at your warranty booklet to see if you are covered. Down here, the 'Corrosion Perforation Warranty' is five years, unlimited mileage. Based on your 'in service' date, you might still have 3-4 years left. There are some exclusions. The most important one for you is that "non-Genuine Toyota Parts" are not covered. As mentioned, go back to the shop and ask what they used for the metal panels. The plastic panels shouldn't be a concern. If non-OEM parts, ask for a warranty, in writing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts