Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After checking out these boards for awhile, I thought a new mirror would be a nice add-on. I got a mirror off of Ebay made by Exon Science. It looked close to the Donnelly model and it was a lot cheaper.

After about an hour of laying upside down under my steering wheel, I found an accessory 12V wire (I didn't want to take apart any more than I had to). After that, it was smooth sailing. One thing however, I was placing the temp probe behind my grill, and I swear there was a factory installed probe already there. It's on the drivers side in front of the radiator. I wiring schematic would have been a nice tool for this install.

Next will be a new set of 4 speakers. I've been driving without door panels on all but the drivers side for 4 days now waiting for them to arrive.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hi BobCat,

I too just purchased a mirror off of ebay (Gentex). Thanks for mentioning something about the temp probe, I'll have to take a look and see if indeed it may be something already integrated into the wiring harness.

Since I have a moonroof, I should be able to get power right without having to route anything down the a-pillar. I have to imagine that since autodimming mirrors w/temp are accesories for these vehicles, the wiring would already be there.

Good luck with your next upgrade.

Cheers!

Garry

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wiring

yes please let us know if the wires are already there for you to tap in, if so i might get one too.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The wiring for an OEM compass/mirror is already in place underneath the light/sunroof switch plate in the headliner of the RAV.

I tapped into it for my install.

jerij

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
jerij said:
The wiring for an OEM compass/mirror is already in place underneath the light/sunroof switch plate in the headliner of the RAV.

I tapped into it for my install.

jerij

I ended up taking my headliner down quite far in order to tie up the wires I put in to avoid rattles. Mine, unfortunately, only had the map light and dome light wires.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
mirror

Hey BobCat
Great mod, do you have any pictures of the final product??
And I was just wondering how accurate the thermometer is?
I brough a cheap one a while back for 20 bucks, and it sucked, it would be 5-10 degress higher then what the radio or tv would say it was. I just pulled it out, and put it in the garbage.

So did you end up tapping in the the existing factory probe?
Or did you just use what came with the mirror?

How long did it take to do the whole installation?

Thanks for all the help.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a 2005 Rav4 and when I bought it, I also bought the autodimming mirror from the dealership. However, it just has the compass enabled on it. But when power is first started to it, I can see the symbols for temperature. Does anyone know if I can tap into any wiring to enable the temperature feature in my mirror? Thanks!

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
same question

beckalexis said:
I have a 2005 RAV4 and when I bought it, I also bought the autodimming mirror from the dealership. However, it just has the compass enabled on it. But when power is first started to it, I can see the symbols for temperature. Does anyone know if I can tap into any wiring to enable the temperature feature in my mirror? Thanks!
I also have the same question... i have a 2003 Rav4 with auto dimming mirror from the dealership... want to have the temp thing enabled, please help...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey folks, my first posting!

I picked up my Rav4 on Saturday, and I'm psyched!!

Anyway, I haven't looked to see if there's a place for a temp probe on mine, but if it's there, it may be for Japanese Rav4's, which have temp built in to the center instrument panel. It may not be compatible with the mirror sensor, but perhaps one or both could be modified to work together.

Check the instrument panel in this link:

http://toyota.jp/Showroom/All_toyota_lineup/RAV4J/interior/images/int01_xga.jpg

It shows the internal temp, and I'm pretty sure I had seen internal/external temperature readouts in previous Japanese brochures, but I don't have any of them handy.

Happy Rav'ing!

Vaughan

·
Registered
10 Posts
Found my Japanese Rav4J brochure.

The resolution is better on the 17x11 double-paged glossy.

Directly below the 25.0 lcd display are three buttons.

Right side is a defrost symbol.
Middle is an up/down rocker switch with a fan symbol in the middle.
Left button reads "Outside Temp".

Vaughan.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Could someone with the factory wiring please post the wire color codes for the wires in the headliner? I would like to tap into a switched power source (not the map light) up there.

Thanks!
Benny

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Re: same question

IcyKool said:
beckalexis said:
I have a 2005 RAV4 and when I bought it, I also bought the autodimming mirror from the dealership. However, it just has the compass enabled on it. But when power is first started to it, I can see the symbols for temperature. Does anyone know if I can tap into any wiring to enable the temperature feature in my mirror? Thanks!
I also have the same question... i have a 2003 RAV4 with auto dimming mirror from the dealership... want to have the temp thing enabled, please help...
Good question. I just delt with a similar issue. OEM mine came with a std mirror. But part of my deal included a dealer installed auto dim/compass/temp (ADCT) mirror. The messed up and installed a auto dim (AD) only mirror. When I complained they ordered a corect new mirror but told me it would require the SUV be dropped off for several hours... again. No dice. I told them I would install it myself and save them the trouble, but I would get the just installed auto dim mirror. They agreed.

Anyway I said all that to say that the AD and the ADCT have very a diiferent hardware. The mounting assembly was much larger on the ADCT version to apparently house the temp/compass hardware. If you don't have the ADCT version then trying to just add a probe will not get you those added features.

If you actually have an ADCT version then the only part you are missing is the temp probe that is easily plugged into the back of the mirror. Of course this is the easy part. The more time consuming part is running the probe from the front of the rad thru the engine compartment and to the mirror.

I have to say that I really enjoy the ADCT mirror I installed. I would highly recommend it to all that just have the std mirror. I was thinking about installing the AD mirror on my daughter's 03 Corolla that has just the basic mirror.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts