Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, I just flew to Boise Idaho to pickup my new Limited V6 4x4 Barcelona Red Rav, It is soo nice to drive! My first 1/2 tank of gas on the highway I got 28.87 mpg. The first full tank of gas, 1/2 highway and 1/2 city driving i got 24.04 mpg. This Vehicle seems to be everything I read and hoped it would be. And my gosh has it got power! For all of you that are waiting for yours, rest assured it will be worth the wait. I want to install a hitch to pull my small trailer and Banshee, but I am kinda frustrated it doesn't come wired at the back of the vehicle, is this true? I am reading a lot of different solutions, Do I need to have the carpeting taken up and remove the seats to install the wiring? I hate the thought of that.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unless I'm reading them incorrectly, there are a couple other discussions going on on the forum that indicate that the wiring is not included with tow prep (search "wiring" or "tow prep"). In fact, seems to be a big dissatisfier to many with this option.

·
Super Moderator
1,561 Posts
Correct... Whether you have the Tow Prep option or not, the wiring harness still has to be purchased and installed.

From Toyota's RAV4 Options page
Tow Prep Package [8] (V6 models only) with 3500-lb. towing capacity – includes upgraded radiator, fan coupling and alternator
See Harold's thread on Toyota's Trailer Wiring Harness...

·
Super Moderator
1,561 Posts
Hmm... It does say "Pre-Wiring" when it's there, but that might just be making the wiring install a little easier...

The Tow Hitch Wire Harness (08921-42900) is $136 (MSRP) by itself, so that $160 Tow Prep Package and all its additional parts isn't going to cover the cost of everything.

When in doubt, ask Kelly! 8)

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks

thanks for all the info on the wiring harness and part #'s. I am going to call the dealership and get one on order if they don't have it in stock, probably call U haul and have a hitch installed and save a lot of money. thanks again for your everyone's help,
Grant

·
Registered
98 Posts
flyingn said:
Then what exactly IS the wiring that is included with every tow prep package that I have ever saw?? It actually says wiring ON the window stickers.. hmmm
I asked this exact question on another topic. My window sticker says "Towing Prep Package - - V6 3,500 lb. Towing Capactiy - Includes Upgrade Radiator, Fan Coupling, Alternator, and Pre Wiring"

Anybody got any contacts at Toyota. My dealer didn't have a clue about what the "pre wiring" is.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Has anybody looked inside the cargo area access hatch to the rear lights? I'm thinking there is a connection to clip the wiring harness into the existing wires.

Most RV campers come pre-wired for A/C which just means there is a connection nearby.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I called my dealer and asked them to shed some light on what was required to install a hitch. After being bounced to three different people the final person told me that the wiring is there and that all I had to do was by a four pole connector that should plug into the truck's existing wiring. He said it was a $10.80 part.

I did tell him that I read that you had to buy the wiring harness that comes from under the dashboard to the back. He said that he wasn't aware that you had to do that and that this part that he spoke of would do the trick. Of course then he said that they didn't have any in stock and would be getting them by today. I didn't have a chance to get there today.

I'm going to stop there on Tuesday and ask them to show me where it plugs in at. If it's a 'vampire' type connection I'm going to buy the full harness. I'll be sure to post what the outcome will be.

Incidentally I ordered a hitch last night from etrailer.com. I purchased the 75432 model. If I have it right, it's a bit curved and should hide under the bumper better then some of the other straight ones I've seen. It's been a frustrating shopping experience as the pictures on the web sites never seem to represent the product in many cases. I'm only somewhat confident that I got the right thing and the way I see it you'll never know what you get until you open the box.

The hitch is 138.00 and if you spend more then $150 with etrailer.com the shipping is 99 cents. I added a hitch lock and got the discounted shipping. Admittedly its a bit more then others here have paid but I really wanted the curved one that hides under the bumper better and if I've got to stare at it for a long time I'm going to go for it. The only thing that would have been better is to get one of the CURT hitches in the color of my RAV. Apparently they're not making them yet and I can't wait.

I'll post pictures of everything once it's operation. I'll also try and take some shots of the process for everyone. From what I see it seems easy enough. The holes are already there so four bolts and wiring should do the trick. I know better though so I'll tell the tale when it's done.

I did look in the cargo area but didn't take anything apart yet. I figure it's better to ask the dealer then rip and tear at things. I have a penchant for breaking plastic things - LOL

Here's a link for those that are interested.

http://www.etrailer.com/products.asp?model=RAV4&category=hitch&year=2006&make=Toyota&t1=&h=e

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Congrat's on your new RAV4, hope you solve your wiring problem. Have fun with your new ride. :D

·
Registered
43 Posts
The answer to the question on my previous post is that you need to buy the full wiring harness. The parts counter person who told me about the $10.80 part was unfortunately WRONG.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Tow Package Wire Harness

Has anyone installed the factory Tow Hitch Wire Harness mentioned in the above discussion? If it's simple I'll buy and install myself. I'm guessing that you unplug some taillights and plug the the harness in between the lights and the exisitng wires. Correct? Where does the harness penetrate though to the underside of the car?

Thanks!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts