Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

My front windscreen wipers are wobbling around in their posts / pivots

981 Views 69 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  AGS
My front windscreen wipers are wobbling around in their posts / pivots / drives, so are their bushes in these wiper posts ?, and can they be replaced easily, or can you do something with them to stop them wobbling ?
21 - 40 of 70 Posts

· Registered
601 Posts
elle had some japan links for parts.
they might be an option for isle of man location.

import of parts can be tricky at best in some countries.

i had luck with parts from latvia!
20 day shipping not bad for import.

· Registered
2023 Rav4 Prime XSE
173 Posts
elle had some japan links for parts.
they might be an option for isle of man location.

import of parts can be tricky at best in some countries.

i had luck with parts from latvia!
20 day shipping not bad for import.
yeah, maybe we are lucky here in the states but I suspect I could order parts from all over the world if I was willing to pay for shipping.

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
good point by crave though that a mirrored version is needed for right hand drive. unless rockauto sells right hand drive parts! I'm assuming they probably don't though?
It is only the pivots / posts / bushes that i really need, so i would assume if i can just replace them, they would be interchangeable with LHD would they ?

· Registered
608 Posts
There is a lot involved when shipping to another country. It isn't like shipping from one state to another. There is paperwork that involves a fair amount, along with import fees and who pays those. The shipper or the consignee?

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
There is a lot involved when shipping to another country. It isn't like shipping from one state to another. There is paperwork that involves a fair amount, along with import fees and who pays those. The shipper or the consignee?
I spent many many years doing international shipping, and customs varies from country to country, import / duty / mainly applies to electronic / electrical goods.

· Registered
608 Posts
I spent many many years doing international shipping, and customs varies from country to country, import / duty / mainly applies to electronic / electrical goods.
You're right that shipping varies country to country when it comes to allowing certain items in. I will disagree with it mainly applying to electronics. At least when it comes to importing items here into the US. There is a whole department that deals with what is allowed and what isn't by country. The paperwork form on my end is still the same regardless of country. I have seen people buy things while on vacation and have to pay import fees when having it shipped home, that weren't electronics. Dishes and figurines for example. I have worked more than 30 years in the shipping industry. While reading about a specific type of bolt it was noted that it wasn't allowed to be exported.

When I went on vacation to Chile they wanted me to pay fees on my camera equipment that was mine because of the value. My brother and I just split it and declared it as belonging to each of us.

· Registered
2023 Rav4 Prime XSE
173 Posts
It is only the pivots / posts / bushes that i really need, so i would assume if i can just replace them, they would be interchangeable with LHD would they ?
does the part look symmetrical? have you attempted to remove just the part you are talking about? I'm not familiar with this assembly or anything but I'd see if I could take it apart myself first to determine if that is a viable option. maybe you've already done this?

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
does the part look symmetrical? have you attempted to remove just the part you are talking about? I'm not familiar with this assembly or anything but I'd see if I could take it apart myself first to determine if that is a viable option. maybe you've already done this?
The part is about to fall apart, it wobbles like hell, i didn`t take it out as it is still working, but only just, if i take it out, then that might be the end of the part, and i am stuck without a windscreen wiper.

· Registered
2023 Rav4 Prime XSE
173 Posts
The part is about to fall apart, it wobbles like hell, i didn`t take it out as it is still working, but only just, if i take it out, then that might be the end of the part, and i am stuck without a windscreen wiper.
it never rains there, right? 🤣

have you tried to find the exact part number so maybe you could find an assembly drawing? I'm thinking a drawing that might show an exploded view of the assembly. probably a long shot but I'm just trying to imagine a way to know if whatever you are going to attempt is going to work because as you say if you try and fail you might be completely shit out of luck and no longer have a way to clear water from the windscreen.

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
You're right that shipping varies country to country when it comes to allowing certain items in. I will disagree with it mainly applying to electronics. At least when it comes to importing items here into the US. There is a whole department that deals with what is allowed and what isn't by country. The paperwork form on my end is still the same regardless of country. I have seen people buy things while on vacation and have to pay import fees when having it shipped home, that weren't electronics. Dishes and figurines for example. I have worked more than 30 years in the shipping industry. While reading about a specific type of bolt it was noted that it wasn't allowed to be exported.

When I went on vacation to Chile they wanted me to pay fees on my camera equipment that was mine because of the value. My brother and I just split it and declared it as belonging to each of us.
Yes, i agree with your comment, you can`t ship a wooden bowl into Australia, or used garden furniture, or a used motorbike / used quad bike, and you can`t take an apple from perth to addelade, and you can`t ship a computer to China, so there are many exeptions.

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
it never rains there, right? 🤣

have you tried to find the exact part number so maybe you could find an assembly drawing? I'm thinking a drawing that might show an exploded view of the assembly. probably a long shot but I'm just trying to imagine a way to know if whatever you are going to attempt is going to work because as you say if you try and fail you might be completely shit out of luck and no longer have a way to clear water from the windscreen.
I have looked for an exploded view, but can`t see the pivots / bushes, or if they can even be replaced, or if a LHD is the same as a RHD, i would need to remove it to see any part numbers, once i do that, there is no going back, if it comes completely apart i am stuffed, and it does rain here quite often.

· Registered
2023 Rav4 Prime XSE
173 Posts
Yes, i agree with your comment, you can`t ship a wooden bowl into Australia, or used garden furniture, or a used motorbike / used quad bike, and you can`t take an apple from perth to addelade, and you can`t ship a computer to China, so there are many exeptions.
so is the issue that junk yards in England don't want to ship to you because you aren't part of England? But you are part of the UK, yes? Sorry, I'm not very familiar with how all of that works. Just curious if that is at the root of your issue with those places.

· Registered
2023 Rav4 Prime XSE
173 Posts
I have looked for an exploded view, but can`t see the pivots / bushes, or if they can even be replaced, or if a LHD is the same as a RHD, i would need to remove it to see any part numbers, once i do that, there is no going back, if it comes completely apart i am stuffed, and it does rain here quite often.
what is the exact year and model of your rav4?

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
what is the exact year and model of your rav4?
1998 Toyota Rav 4 GX 5 door. ( SXA11R )

so is the issue that junk yards in England don't want to ship to you because you aren't part of England? But you are part of the UK, yes? Sorry, I'm not very familiar with how all of that works. Just curious if that is at the root of your issue with those places.
They just don`t have the part.

· Registered
293 Posts
1. If you can get a product called Rain-X there, you might want to apply it to your windshield (windscreen?) to repel and bead the water which drastically reduces wiper usage in the rain. I always use this in here in Canada on all of my vehicle windows. It lasts quite a while, especially if you park indoors when not using the car.
2. From Google Earth, it appears that you have a Toyota/Lexus dealership near Douglas called Caledonian Toyota. Have you gone to their parts department and asked them to look up the part numbers of the needed parts and tried to order them in?
3. If you want to look at assembly drawings and part numbers for USA models, have a look at Toyota Parts and Accessories - Official Online Store . Here are a couple of links:
Cowl panel: you will need to replace plastic clips if you remove this to get access to the linkage.
Windshield wiper: This has the motor, linkage, wipers, etc. It looks to me, from what you describe, that you will need to replace the whole "wiper motor link".
4.I've attached the service manual pages related to the front wipers for the USA model. It may be largely applicable or adaptable to your model to help with disassembly and reassembly.

Attachments

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
1. If you can get a product called Rain-X there, you might want to apply it to your windshield (windscreen?) to repel and bead the water which drastically reduces wiper usage in the rain. I always use this in here in Canada on all of my vehicle windows. It lasts quite a while, especially if you park indoors when not using the car.
2. From Google Earth, it appears that you have a Toyota/Lexus dealership near Douglas called Caledonian Toyota. Have you gone to their parts department and asked them to look up the part numbers of the needed parts and tried to order them in?
3. If you want to look at assembly drawings and part numbers for USA models, have a look at Toyota Parts and Accessories - Official Online Store . Here are a couple of links:
Cowl panel: you will need to replace plastic clips if you remove this to get access to the linkage.
Windshield wiper: This has the motor, linkage, wipers, etc. It looks to me, from what you describe, that you will need to replace the whole "wiper motor link".
4.I've attached the service manual pages related to the front wipers for the USA model. It may be largely applicable or adaptable to your model to help with disassembly and reassembly.
Caledonian Toyota is no longer, it is now under Jacksons IOM, i bought a wiper arm from them ( without the wiper blade ) and it cost me £150, so think the cost of a wiper linkage will cost more than my mortgage.

21 - 40 of 70 Posts