Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
41 - 60 of 70 Posts

· Registered
293 Posts
Caledonian Toyota is no longer, it is now under Jacksons IOM, i bought a wiper arm from them ( without the wiper blade ) and it cost me £150, so think the cost of a wiper linkage will cost more than my mortgage.
I'm sorry to hear that. My nearby Toyota dealer was recently bought out by a much bigger company and the first thing they did was massively increase parts and service prices, got rid of the long-term, really experienced people, and are much less helpful now. The parts and service people used to be really helpful, try to save you money, and were even enthusiastic about helping you keep your old Toyota going. The linkage is about 3 times the price of the arm and a £ is like 2 Canadian dollars. Yikes!

Amayama has both LHD and RHD wiper parts showing. It appears that the RHD part number is 85150-42040 which they list as "discontinued" :( Maybe you can find stock somewhere of that part. Many years ago, I was able to get an obsolete window regulator for a previous Toyota because the dealers used to be able to a "dealer search" to look at leftover parts in stock at the dealers across Canada and the USA and found one leftover on a shelf from a job that didn't complete. I don't think that they can still be that helpful though.

If all else fails, maybe the outer part could be drilled out to press fit a sintered bronze bushing to fit the shaft that you lubricate well and hope for the best. If the outer part is cracked or too thin, this may not work.

· Super Moderator
12,905 Posts
I think car-part.com is international.

· Registered
608 Posts
Try googling car parts that ship internationally. There are a few that I saw. Amazon being one. Shipping fees are what is going to be expensive. Trying to find that happy balance between cost of the part and reasonable shipping is going to be the hard part.

· Registered
2023 Rav4 Prime XSE
173 Posts

· Registered
293 Posts
and you can tell that's for the right hand drive version of the vehicle?
If you look up the part at:
you can see that this is the part for RHD. THe LHD part ends in 50 or 60 depending if cold weather or not.

· Registered
2023 Rav4 Prime XSE
173 Posts
If you look up the part at:
you can see that this is the part for RHD. THe LHD part ends in 50 or 60 depending if cold weather or not.
nice! that looks like a good option.

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·

· Registered
2016 Toy Rav4 AWD Limited and 2017 Toy Rav4 AWD Limited
26 Posts
If there is a machine shop by you, you could ask them the cost of putting brass bar stock in the hole, drilling it to the size of the shaft and creating a virtual bushing that way. The wiper Assembly would be out of the car for a few days. That's my best crazy thought about an alternative. Also I would believe there are supply houses who would have in stock a sleeve bushing close to the ID and OD dimensions needed. I that case you would ask the shop to source the bushings and do the labor. I cannot be more specific because I have not seen the parts you speak of. I went through a similar experience with my 50yo Ariens Snow Thrower. The shops by me do not work on something more than 20yo. So it was me do it or go buy a new 30in bite Snow Thrower at $1500 because our drive way needs that level machine. I took the drive mechanism apart and it was relatively easy (getting the roll pin to come out of a shaft was the most touchy thing). I was able to get bushings $8 for two and the fellow said before I pressed them in to put them in the freezer for a few hours so the shrink. I did and they went in easily could have used my thumb to put them in, but I used my bench vise.
All back together, tested well. Now used a couple of times on 6 in snow accumulations and proof of performance outcome was great. This is a protracted response, but I wanted to convey that you can find a way to resolve your issue so do not give up. Anything worth doing is worth doing well. And I ALWAYS celebrate the job well done with a scotch! If I am accurate in what I recall of the Isle of Mann there are two significant things where you reside and they are listed in proper order as: 1) Scotch (Lagavulin my fav) and 2) The Isle of Mann Sport Bike Race (I am a biker). Best wishes

· Registered
26 Posts
you probably did this but did you try tightening them? on my wife's old chevy prism (rebadged corolla) one of the wipers stopped moving and it turned out that the bolt had become loose so the motor was moving but the wiper wasn't fully attached.
Similar thing happened to me on my 2011 Subaru Legacy sedan. Tightened it when got home and that was it till I traded it in for 17Rav4 Limited.

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Similar thing happened to me on my 2011 Subaru Legacy sedan. Tightened it when got home and that was it till I traded it in for 17Rav4 Limited.
There is nothing to tighten, the shaft that connects to the wiper arm is loose where it goes through the casing, it seems to be worn away, strangley enough there is no play in the linkage its self.

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
If there is a machine shop by you, you could ask them the cost of putting brass bar stock in the hole, drilling it to the size of the shaft and creating a virtual bushing that way. The wiper Assembly would be out of the car for a few days. That's my best crazy thought about an alternative. Also I would believe there are supply houses who would have in stock a sleeve bushing close to the ID and OD dimensions needed. I that case you would ask the shop to source the bushings and do the labor. I cannot be more specific because I have not seen the parts you speak of. I went through a similar experience with my 50yo Ariens Snow Thrower. The shops by me do not work on something more than 20yo. So it was me do it or go buy a new 30in bite Snow Thrower at $1500 because our drive way needs that level machine. I took the drive mechanism apart and it was relatively easy (getting the roll pin to come out of a shaft was the most touchy thing). I was able to get bushings $8 for two and the fellow said before I pressed them in to put them in the freezer for a few hours so the shrink. I did and they went in easily could have used my thumb to put them in, but I used my bench vise.
All back together, tested well. Now used a couple of times on 6 in snow accumulations and proof of performance outcome was great. This is a protracted response, but I wanted to convey that you can find a way to resolve your issue so do not give up. Anything worth doing is worth doing well. And I ALWAYS celebrate the job well done with a scotch! If I am accurate in what I recall of the Isle of Mann there are two significant things where you reside and they are listed in proper order as: 1) Scotch (Lagavulin my fav) and 2) The Isle of Mann Sport Bike Race (I am a biker). Best wishes
We do have Manx Whiskey ( it is white ), and You mean the Isle of Man TT races, ( it was a bad year last year, with so many fatalities ).

· Registered
2023 Rav4 Prime XSE
173 Posts
We do have Manx Whiskey ( it is white ), and You mean the Isle of Man TT races, ( it was a bad year last year, with so many fatalities ).
we call that moonshine here ;)

I think 4x4ken was thinking of Islay regarding the whisky.

I hope this part you ordered works out. Island living seems like it could be a little tricky at times but I just visited on google street view and it looks like a beautiful place so you've got that going for you!

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·

I hope this part you ordered works out. Island living seems like it could be a little tricky at times but I just visited on google street view and it looks like a beautiful place so you've got that going for you!
After paying for it, i received notification that the part is being "souced", so fingers crossed ?

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·

You ever thought of coming over on the bike for TT week ?

· Registered
2023 Rav4 Prime XSE
173 Posts
You ever thought of coming over on the bike for TT week ?
I'm not any kind of motorcycle racing fan but I have kind of wanted to go to Scotland (according to my genetics that's where the largest portion of my people come from). Isle of Man is probably not a very hard stop to make if I was already there. Do you get many tourists there?

· Registered
26 Posts
I'm sorry to hear that. My nearby Toyota dealer was recently bought out by a much bigger company and the first thing they did was massively increase parts and service prices, got rid of the long-term, really experienced people, and are much less helpful now. The parts and service people used to be really helpful, try to save you money, and were even enthusiastic about helping you keep your old Toyota going. The linkage is about 3 times the price of the arm and a £ is like 2 Canadian dollars. Yikes!

Amayama has both LHD and RHD wiper parts showing. It appears that the RHD part number is 85150-42040 which they list as "discontinued" :( Maybe you can find stock somewhere of that part. Many years ago, I was able to get an obsolete window regulator for a previous Toyota because the dealers used to be able to a "dealer search" to look at leftover parts in stock at the dealers across Canada and the USA and found one leftover on a shelf from a job that didn't complete. I don't think that they can still be that helpful though.

If all else fails, maybe the outer part could be drilled out to press fit a sintered bronze bushing to fit the shaft that you lubricate well and hope for the best. If the outer part is cracked or too thin, this may not work.
That was my thinking and attempt to describe; the sintered bronze bushing. I would lube with silicone grease because it lasts a long time that way.

· Registered
17 Posts
We'd have those parts available here in Aus in Adelaide at a large Toyota wrecking yard from the driest state in the driest continent with no corrosion on them but would have no idea how long it would take to ship them to you from here. We have 2 99 models and have got a number of parts from them. Don't know why the heck such a lot of jargon comes up with the site but they do have a web page. Changed the search engine so this is better.....https://justwrecking.com.au//. If interested I might be able to get them for you but you'll have to hurry as we leave for holidays in a week, and away 2 1/2 months in Tas.

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
We'd have those parts available here in Aus in Adelaide at a large Toyota wrecking yard from the driest state in the driest continent with no corrosion on them but would have no idea how long it would take to ship them to you from here. We have 2 99 models and have got a number of parts from them. Don't know why the heck such a lot of jargon comes up with the site but they do have a web page. Changed the search engine so this is better.....https://justwrecking.com.au//. If interested I might be able to get them for you but you'll have to hurry as we leave for holidays in a week, and away 2 1/2 months in Tas.
What would the cost of postage be to post code IM5 1GE ?
Are Australian cars LHD or RHD ?

41 - 60 of 70 Posts