Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched but found nothing. My keys ended up going through the washing machine. I opened the key up and put the guts in some rice. My guess that the electronics are shot but we will know maybe tomorrow. So if it is toast, what is my best bet to get some new guts for my key and to get it programmed? I have a 2015 XLE with the standard key.

·
Registered
160 Posts
My wife washed and dried my lexus key fob, I opened expecting the worse, but actually it was in like new condition, and still works great. In your case I would remove the battery, make sure it is completely dry, replace the battery and give it a try.

·
Registered
291 Posts
The wife washed her key FOB through a complete wash cycle of the washer months after we purchased the car. Put FOB in a sealed container of rice for about a week. Almost three years later it still works like new. Maybe you will have the same experience.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
They are somewhat water resistant. You will probably be ok. Pulling the battery and putting it all in rice in a bag is your best bet to be extra careful.

·
Registered
449 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
The keys from my old 2013 Rav4 (now totaled - RIP!) were washed twice in full cycles, and were taken for a swim at the lake in more than one occasion, and they were always fine. I never took them apart or dried them in rice or any other desiccant. To me, they are truly waterproof.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts