Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With full intention of just test driving a Sport model for fun while getting info on Costco pricing, at the end of the day (and it was a long day), we drove home in a new 4-cyl Flint Mica Sport. There were 7 other Base models on the lot, in black, white, and light green. The flint mica really stood out for us next to other colors. The way it glittered in the sun, it was beautiful!

So I went with the 4-cyl Sport model for the following reasons:

1. Availability of V6 Limited will be...limited (sorry for the pun). Chance of finding the color and options I want w/o paying close to MSRP is slimmer than a 4-cyl. Can't wait till mid year or later to negotiate a better price, esp. with Costco pricing only $700 below MSRP. My old car was in some desparate need of fixing (least $1K).

2. Just flat out fell in love with the Flint Mica and liked the handling of Sport model. Since I liked the power of the Base 4-cyl, felt it was suitable as a commuter car. I've driven a 5-spd MT for the past 20 yrs and the Sport model handled more of what I'm used to and preferred.

3. We decided we can always test drive the V6 and wait to get it as a replacement car for my husband in a year or two. (like having my cake and eating it too!)

4. I got a pretty good deal on the car, probably better than for a V6.

Breakdown:
MSRP w/options $25,929 (incl. dest fees), paid $23,919 w/o lic/tax fees.

Option A pkg: stnd 6-disc changer, tonneau cover, cargo net, side airbags, drl, moonroof, carpeted floor mats.

I also got an extended warranty and security system. Guess I need some piece of mind since this is the first new car in 13 yrs.

I'm so excited and pleased with this car!!!! :D :!:

J

·
0 Posts
Congrats!! Sounds exactly like the one Im going to get, with the exception that Im opting to wait for the 6. Last I heard it was going to arrive end of Jan/Early Feb... so not too bad.

That looks like a great price too, especially considering you got ext warranty & security system (or were they not in the price you mentioned)? Last quote I got for the same car but in the 6 was for 28,300 (inc dest). That was basically MSRP though, so havent tried to haggle yet (even though I dropped my deposit).

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
jkat said:
Congrats!! That looks like a great price too, especially considering you got ext warranty & security system (or were they not in the price you mentioned)? Last quote I got for the same car but in the 6 was for 28,300 (inc dest). That was basically MSRP though, so havent tried to haggle yet (even though I dropped my deposit).
Thanks! I really happy with the purchase. The price I posted was only the car, options, dest. fees; about $2K off MSRP.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
karrock said:
Congrats!!! Yeah... I wish that Flint Mica was available on the Limited... because I really don't want to go back to cloth seating... :p
Thanks! I hear ya about cloth. The color model combo would have been my choice too if offered. We basically had to decide between the color or leather. I was leaning towards the leather because my 3 dogs shed as a hobby. I could have waited for a red in limited with the leather options in 2 weeks (dealer was going to do some trading for me) but I also liked the feel of the Sport better than the Base.

D

·
0 Posts
Nice going on the price. That sounds like a good deal. Best pricing I've got so far on the Sport is MSRP 26394 (package b and 4x4) for 24890. That is about 1500 off MSRP. No other options. Do they install the security alarm at the dealer site?

On the Toyota site if you build your Toyota with an Eastcost (Central Atlantic i.e. zip 20120) zip you only have the 4x4 Sport choice. No choice of a 4x2 Sport. Also you get a choice of 4x4 limited that is not listed on the limited for west coast zips). Just some little facts that I've discovered.

Knowing that, I'm assuming you got a 4x2 being in San Diego, right? Most all of our dealers in the greater Washington DC area have the lions share in 4x4 models. May I ask what the extended warranty cost and for how long a term?

I did get a price quote on a limited 4x4 with MSRP 28099 (leather package) for 26365. That is about 1734 off the MSRP. All w/o Lic/Tax/Dealer Prep fees.

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
ya mean on the east coast I cannot get a 2wd Sport and in the west coast you cannot get a 4wd Limited??? wow weird..

I was just at the Toyota website and your right. The ONLY fwd that I can get in my zip code is the base!! Not available in sport or limited.

M

·
0 Posts
congrats on new rav

oh do post a photo. i want flint mica also. i am going to see about going through costco also.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
dogface325 said:
Nice going on the price. That sounds like a good deal. Best pricing I've got so far on the Sport is MSRP 26394 (package b and 4x4) for 24890. That is about 1500 off MSRP. No other options. Do they install the security alarm at the dealer site?

On the Toyota site if you build your Toyota with an Eastcost (Central Atlantic i.e. zip 20120) zip you only have the 4x4 Sport choice. No choice of a 4x2 Sport. Also you get a choice of 4x4 limited that is not listed on the limited for west coast zips). Just some little facts that I've discovered.

Knowing that, I'm assuming you got a 4x2 being in San Diego, right? Most all of our dealers in the greater Washington DC area have the lions share in 4x4 models. May I ask what the extended warranty cost and for how long a term?

I did get a price quote on a limited 4x4 with MSRP 28099 (leather package) for 26365. That is about 1734 off the MSRP. All w/o Lic/Tax/Dealer Prep fees.
I got the 4x4. The extended warranty was something around $13xx (sorry, don't have the sheet with me). It's bumper-2-bumper, 6 yrs/75,000 mi. They didn't have a 7/85K/100K available, which was surprising. Had to pay $150 extra for 4x4. Dealer will install Lojack and VIP security system for me.

Your price quote for $24890 is lower than some of other quotes I've seen for Option B 4x4. We have both 4x2 and 4x4 Sport available here. I was told that 4x4 has a higher demand in So. Cal.
But you're right about the 4x4 Limited. Seen none, can't select it as option, and dealers don't have it. Toyota website just added the 4x4 Base for our area. So the only model we don't have available is the 4x4 Limited.

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
Carol, Let me know what you think of the VIP security system. I am gonna get the same one soon..

Frank

. They didn't have a 7/85K/100K available, which was surprising. Had to pay $150 extra for 4x4. Dealer will install Lojack and VIP security system for me.

]

D

·
0 Posts
The Toyota web site build-it-yourself will probably keep changing as models and inventory increase. I think they fixed it that way due to past sales and history given 4x4/4x2 allocation & demands in different regional areas etc. On the Sports packages, option B didn't exist a few weeks ago, now it appears on the web site. One thing that I've noticed is that all available inventory here (greater D.C. area) come with the "optional" side-air bags included in the option packages. I thought I read in some previous posts that that option wasn't available on some current inventory builds.

Your right about inventory increasing. Right now two different dealers that I've been working with have doubled their inventories in just the last few days. One now has 34 and the other has 19. That's an increase from 21 and 9 respectively. I'm guessing when the V6's start arriving that they might be willing to deal more on the 4's. I hope, I hope!

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Frank, I'll let you know on the VIP. I'm scheduled to go back in at end of month to get it installed. BTW, did you get your auto-locking fixed? That was something I tried the first day. :D It took me 2 tries to get it to work. First time I had to push unlock twice to relock.

Dogface, more inventory will always help! It will also help if you can keep an eye out for any dealers that are advertising below MSRP or other kind of deals on this. That's what helped me negotiate my price down.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I forgot to mention one more thing on the extended warranty. The price of the warranty is refundable up to the expiration date (miles excluded) if I don't use it. I don't know if dealers automatically issue this with the ext. warranty but I got a signed "Express Reimbursement Guarantee" with in addition to the warranty documents.

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
not yet. I want to be SURE that there are no other issues that can arise.. Maybe a week or so more and then its going back. My tire pressure montoring system does not work either.. The light flashes for a minute or so on start up and then stays lit all the time. Research tells me there is something wrong OR they never activated it when they prepped it.. all the pressures are right on the money..

puttputt said:
Frank, I'll let you know on the VIP. I'm scheduled to go back in at end of month to get it installed. BTW, did you get your auto-locking fixed? That was something I tried the first day. :D It took me 2 tries to get it to work. First time I had to push unlock twice to relock.

Dogface, more inventory will always help! It will also help if you can keep an eye out for any dealers that are advertising below MSRP or other kind of deals on this. That's what helped me negotiate my price down.

C

·
0 Posts
what color is Flint Mica?

I'm curious - what color exactly is Flint Mica?. On the Toyota website it looks like a [very] dark gray. I was hoping it was more like a darkish silver.

~steve

1 - 20 of 55 Posts