Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am now the proud owner of a 1990 14' Princecraft aluminum fishing boat with a 9.9 HP Mercury outboard (and a trailer). I have been looking for a small boat all summer, and I finally found one this weekend that was in my price range. This is the best time of year to buy one because the marinas are trying to sell off as much stock as possible before winter, so I got a decent deal.

Since I live in an apartment, I keep it up at the parents' place with their big boat, and I can use it on weekends when I have free time. I have been driving boats my whole life, but this is the first one that I actually can call my own. It came with a trailer, so I can tow it anywhere I want, but I will finally have to get a hitch for the Rav.

Do any of you know of good boat sites or forums on the Internet? I have a West Marine store near me since I live on the seacoast, but I'm looking for a place to find parts and information. I would say the boat is a fixer-upper since it needs a coat of paint, but it's in good shape as it is. I think I will do a little work on it over the winter, and I thought about spraying the interior with Line-X. Best thing about a small 2-cycle motor is that it can run all day on two gallons of gas.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Congrats on the new boat. At the cottage we have a similar 14' aluminium Starcraft with a Merc 15 2-stroke on it. Love the torque of even the smaller 2-strokes.

If you haven't already, check out www.iboats.com - the forums there are reasonably busy. There also seems to be a fair number of sites out there with DIY info for engine maintenance & repair.

S

·
0 Posts
Just out of curiosity how much does your boat and trailer weigh?
How did you find out?

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have no actual measurements, just ballpark estimates. I figure that the trailer is about 250 lbs; I know the motor is about 75 lbs; and the boat is about 200 lbs. If I were to take a guess about the total weight of the combo including the gas tanks and my gear, it is most likely around 700 lbs, which is well within the towing limits of the Rav4. I'll still get the class III hitch because I can share the collection of draw bars that go with my dad's trucks. A lightweight trailer is nice, but it's like flying a kite when you are towing it on the highway, especially on a windy day.

Here is a picture of the newer version of my boat, however the motor and trailer are almost identical.

http://www.princecraft.com/Content/en-US/fiche_produit.aspx?ProductID=152

S

·
0 Posts
I'm excited about any kind of towing with my Rav. My husband and I have done camping and other outdoor activities in the past but I am within two weeks of our first child's due date and I am thinking ahead to lots of fun with our little peanut in the years ahead. I don't know if we'll end up doing the boat thing (which I grew up with) or the tent trailer thing but I see something similar in our future. There is a thread on here somewhere with a really cute small tent trailer that is within weight limits for the Rav. I've also thought about a jet-ski but a lightweight aluminum boat would probably be more family friendly.

I went to the link and somehow (at least for me) it just defaults to the front page of princecraft. I poked around a bit looking for what might be product 152 but haven't found anything yet.

What is your boat called?

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's the 14' Fisherman, however mine's about 15 years old, but they haven't changed it much since then. The new model is shown below. Even the motor and trailer are pretty much the same as what I have.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
It's a good weight estimate. My 14' Starcraft weighs 225 lbs empty and the Merc 9.9/15 (same except for tuning) is 74 lbs. Even a small fibreglass boat like a Boston Whaler 13' Sport at 850 lbs + trailer would be OK for the RAV. We used to have one of these boats and it was lots of fun on the water and very easy to launch/recover and trailer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts