Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, we test drove the following yesterday over the same route which included stop and go and hwy at 65mph with some "passing" test. All where 2017. Our current car is a 2007 Rav4 V6awd.
Rav4H EXL, NX200t base, CRV EX, RDX base, VW Alltrack SEL.

My impressions.
NX; too small. Felt most claustrophobic, more road/tire noise than what I would have expected from a Lexus. Acceleration adequate.
Rav4H; felt the most like how our Rav drives. Interior fit and finish/color not much of an improvement over our Rav. Road noise/tire noise better than our Rav.
CRV; interior fit and finish definitely a step up, on par with the CX-5? Better reduced road/tire noise over the predecessor CRV and our Rav. Initial acceleration not like our Rav. If you didn't know it had a cvt you probably in most conditions would not notice it was a cvt.
RDX; in sport mode accelerated the same or better than our Rav. I liked the drivers seat the best. The quietest of the bunch.
VW Alltrack; the engine/transmission does a good job of getting the most out of the least power of the group. Interior fit and finish as good or maybe better than the CRV. Definitely a smaller car. To me it felt like I was right at home as soon as I sat in it, can't explain this.

Wifes impressions.
NX; she didn't drive it
Rav4H; most like our Rav. The auto on/off and regen noise would take a little getting used to.
CRV; felt heavy, even though it felt more "mercedes" like as far as solid feel and doors closing with a "heavy" solid sound. The heavy feel might be due to the steering feeling "heavier"? She also felt more in a hole even with the seat all the way up, hard to tell where the front corners of the car where. Didn't like the touch screen and digital speedo/tach.
RDX; drove similar to our Rav. Didn't like the drivers seat as much as I did. Liked the lack of fancy "stuff". Nice solid driving feel.
VW Alltrack; didn't like the constant road rumble you feel in your seat bottom, don't know if it is due to the 18" wheels and maybe more sport tuned suspension?

We also compared the rear opening on all of them. The NX was the smallest and had the highest floor. The rest were smaller than our Rav with the Rav4H being the closest in opening. Floor height was lowest with both Rav's.

When comparing the trims for the Rav and CRV Rav had the EXL and convenience package and the CRV was EX. The EX trim had a couple of items that that the Rav package did not have. EX has heated seats and power drivers seat and factory auto start. The Rav was about $3000.00 more that the EX. I didn't expect that big a price penalty for the hybrid.

Anyway, maybe you guys will find this interesting.

·
Member-RAV4 ReGeneration
264 Posts
That was a busy day, with that number of test drives.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Thanks for posting your impressions. I found the CRV being called "heavy" interesting. I have a neighbor that just went from a Rav4 to a CRV and she used the exact same word. She had gotten a really great deal with it and thought that she'd get used to it, but she really dislikes it. She said every time she gets in the car, it just feels bigger and heavier.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Isn't the CRV going to get a hybrid version soon?

We had no choice. It was because of practicality and dependability that we went with the 2016 RAV4 Hybrid Limited with technology package, the hybrid system that I probably would trust the most even if our two other vehicles are Honda pre-turbo/direct injection and pre-CVT. My wife wanted a SUV this time but I didn't want to get hit on MPG.

Went over to a NY border town Saturday and regular gasoline was $2.29/gallon. That is the equivalent of 76 cents/liter. Where I live in Canada, it's about $1.10/liter so the break even period is shorter in Canada where they hybrid system is about $4k CAD more.

After getting the RAV4H, RDGrimes then provides a lot of additional information that reinforced our purchase decision -- engine is robust with the start stop function, electrical a/c system, no starter so much easier starts in the winter, etc. I just wished Toyota would start introducing longer range BEVs in 2019.

·
Registered
25 Posts
"When comparing the trims for the Rav and CRV Rav had the EXL and convenience package and the CRV was EX. The EX trim had a couple of items that that the Rav package did not have. EX has heated seats and power drivers seat and factory auto start. The Rav was about $3000.00 more that the EX. I didn't expect that big a price penalty for the hybrid."

For the past couple of months Toyota has had a $2500 rebate (or 0% interest) on the RAV hybrid. Don't know what August will have to offer, maybe both combined? In the Boston area I had 3 dealers willing to go 6k below MSRP on a Limited model and one said he would on an XLE. I managed to get $6500 off a loaded Limited, added on cross bars and got them to drop the fee for wheel locks. So, I think when you comparison shop you have to consider what it will actually cost to get the cars, not just MSRP. Toyota dealers are pretty aggressive at selling the RAVs right now, but given a new model with stellar reviews I am not sure Honda dealers will bargain as readily or have as much a of factory incentive to work with.

·
Member-RAV4 ReGeneration
264 Posts
I know auto sales are down all over right now. What a difference a year will make. Last year at this time, around here, the RAV4Hs were sold before they were unloaded off the truck.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah, with the $2500 rebate the price gets pretty close to the CRV. Will probably be buying in December or next summer.

·
Registered
846 Posts
I know auto sales are down all over right now. What a difference a year will make. Last year at this time, around here, the RAV4Hs were sold before they were unloaded off the truck.
$6k below MSRP is great. It's almost a year's worth of deprecation for a 2017 model for people who didn't get much discount from MSRP. Not sure if there are people like that though.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Did some more test drives yesterday. Wanted to compare a Jeep Cherokee rear door with our Rav4. So found one and next to it was a 2015 BMW X3 and a 2017 Compass. The X3 width and depth was just about equal to our Rav4, but was about 7" shorter. The Cherokee and Compass where definitely smaller, with the Compass being the smallest. I did drive each of these too just for fun. I was pleasantly surprised by the X3, I wasn't too optimistic after having driven the NX. Was my first time to drive anything BMW. I liked the seating position, still some road noise but probably at the top of the group with the RDX. Steering was kind of weird to me, don't know if it is a BMW thing? This was used with 22,000mi on it. Was really tempting for the price, but any extended warranty looks to be really expensive, I would not buy a BMW without a extended warranty since I would not be able to afford to take it in to get fixed. The Cherokee with V6 was a pretty nice surprise, interior materials would be on par with the better ones of the tested group, ride and power was also on par. More options than the Rav4H. MPG probably about the same as our Rav4 V6. The new Compass is definitely an improvement over the old one. Interior materials seem better, but found one trim piece that was really off. This model had the base engine and 6 speed manual. It drove quite nice, noises where a little higher than the group. Manual was fun to use. The engine just does not have enough power for passing at hwy speeds. I think one would have to drop to 5th gear when climbing any significant hills. One thing I did not know was that Jeep/Chrysler group offers a lifetime bumper-bumper warranty for around $3500.00. Don't know if this price is negotiable or not.
Anyway, hope this is also interesting for you all.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The X3, like the RDX or Audi Q5 is really a different class of vehicle. Generally more powerful, better handling, and considerably more expensive. I just passed my Infiniti EX along to my daughter and there really isn't any comparison with most non-lux CUVs. Even when the newer packages offer the same tech the fit and finish tends to be richer, and the ride strikes a better balance between sport and comfort. I would recommend the EX (now called QX50) as a solid, dependable car (I have 108k on the clock with no difficulties) that goes well in the snow but is rear biased for enjoyable handling. The model was stretched a couple of years ago so is roomier, although still not to the extent of a RAV), has a terrific 7 speed auto, 325 hp to make getting the groceries fun, and lots of available amenities. Infiniti tends to discount leftovers heavily, and this year will probably do so big time as the car has been completely redesigned. For comparison purposes I got almost 9k off my 2011 in January 2012.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Gasoline prices are much more expensive in Canada outside of Alberta compared to the States that I prefer this hybrid over any alternative SUV because of the fuel savings.

Compared to Buffalo/Niagara NY, we are paying about 50% more for regular gasoline at the current exchange rate.

The RAV4H is a no brainer for me.

·
Registered
54 Posts
One thing I did not know was that Jeep/Chrysler group offers a lifetime bumper-bumper warranty for around $3500.00. Don't know if this price is negotiable or not.
And based on their reliability, with any Chrysler product, you'd need that extended warranty.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Bought a 2017 Hybrid Limited, Electric Blue and Cinnamon interior, yesterday. I think I got a fair price, especially being land locked in AK :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Congrats on the Rav4 hybrid limited. We've had ours for 10 months and it is tremendous so far. Now just hoping for the legendary Toyota reliability. Good luck.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts