Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gday everyone. Bought a 98 rav4 as a project a few months ago and i wanna be able to tow my small trailer around town if needed but i dont have a trailer plug. Does anyone know if a wiring harness is stashed behind a panel somewhere or if i need to do it all myself. Cheers from Australia.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have the Toyota factory option towbar on mine, I'll have a look at the 7-pin plug wiring on it tomorrow for you when I'm working on it.

·
Super Moderator
10,151 Posts
At least in the US none of the RAV4s come with any trailer wiring and it's probably the same down under. So unless it was dealer installed or someone's added it you won't find any hidden plug.

If your small trailer doesn't have electric brakes all you'll need is a four-flat connector wired for lights. That's relatively easy since aftermarket plug & play kits with the necessary taillight converter that plug into the connectors at the taillights are readily available. You'll probably have to run 12V power to the converter.

With trailer brakes you'll need the 7-round connector like BodenM has + a brake controller.

·
Registered
8,537 Posts
There are trailer harness suppliers in Australia, which probably would be a less expensive option than obtaining one from North America because of the horrendous shipping charges (based upon personal experience). Example: Wiring Harness Kits (WH)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts