Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It happened the other day. Had parked my car at the city parking lot. Some one backed in to my RAV and destroyed the bumper and the parking sensor. There were scratches on the wheel cover too. The bumper cracked and the parking sensor flew out. All this to the car that was standing still-parked! If the other person had a parking sensor in their car this would never had happened. The person in question was decent enough to wait for my arrival (most I gather run from the site after an accident!) and acknowledged that it was her fault. Toyota workshop has been consulted and they are going to change the bumper and install new sets of Toyota's original parking sensors. (I'lll have to live with their blo--y original sensors, won't I :) ). Then they are going to repaint the scratched parts and the sensors to match the colour. The costs will be covered by the other person's insurance company which happens to be the same as my insurance company. Total repair time one week! It took me only a day to fit those diy sensors! Boy the workshop is certainly going to benefit from this accident. The insurance company never loses, they just increase the premium, first the other persons and gradually for all its members. So the real losers are customers. But that is a different thread alltogether!

E

·
0 Posts
Man, I'm sorry to hear... :shock::shock::?

About a month ago, some moron ripped off the decals from my tailgate, so I had to spend $300 (insurance deductile) to have the tailgate repainted and decals reinstalled (total job = $600!).

About a year ago, some moron broke into my car (same guy?), but stole nothing, because I don't leave anything valuable in any of the compartments. Again, I had to spend my insurance deductible to have my side window fixed.

·
Registered
225 Posts
EHinthe604 said:
About a month ago, some moron ripped off the decals from my tailgate,

About a year ago, some moron broke into my car
Looks like your Rav gets exposed to these kinds of intrusions. Ever considered aftermarket car alarms already?

E

·
0 Posts
Autobeat said:
EHinthe604 said:

Looks like your RAV gets exposed to these kinds of intrusions. Ever considered aftermarket car alarms already?
Yes, I have... but I'm not sure whether a noisemaker (i.e.: alarm) is necessarily going to be effective. :roll: However, I've given the idea some serious thought, though, and I might just get an add-on that will integrate with the factory remote keyless entry in the near future.

·
Registered
225 Posts
EHinthe604 said:
Yes, I have... but I'm not sure whether a noisemaker (i.e.: alarm) is necessarily going to be effective. :roll: However, I've given the idea some serious thought, though, and I might just get an add-on that will integrate with the factory remote keyless entry in the near future.
Yes, it may not fully prevent intrusions, but it can to some extent deter some intruders who can't afford getting public attention to what they intend to do to the Rav. I've seen a security video of my ride's alarm in action. At least during that time, it prevented a would be thief trying to get the Rav's side mirrors.
Also, I've heard there are some alarms now that can even send back a signal to the owner's remote control unit, informing him/her realtime of the current alarm (vibration/door open) the car is having. Really depends on each one's needs.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just received my RAV back from the Toyota after necessary repair. The new toyota original parking sensors are installed and the body work patched up well (they changed the plastic bumpers and repainted the other areas along with the sensors). The service and the work done is really good. Toyota workshops have very good reputation in Sweden and have been topping the consumer test survey every year. Now it remains to see how good the Toyota's original sensors are compared to my earlier DIY ones. The real test comes during heavy rain, ice and snow because there has been some interference of sensor function during such a condition before. And I miss the distance display since the Toyota's original sensors come without them.

·
Registered
114 Posts
EHinthe604 said:
Autobeat said:
EHinthe604 said:

Looks like your RAV gets exposed to these kinds of intrusions. Ever considered aftermarket car alarms already?
Try getting an alarm with perimeter protection ie one that issues a verbal warning to anyone close to the car rather than after they have broken in. It might not stop everyone, but it will make the more wary thief take note as it gives them proof that security is fitted.

Also, as mentioned above, some alarms will page you if triggered.

Al.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts