Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
One of my family members will be getting posted in Western Africa (Accra in Ghana) for 2 years and will be taking my RAV4 with them.

As such I want to do as much preventative maintenance as possible before the car is exported.
My 2008 Base i4 RAV has about 115K km / 72K miles. I expect that they will put another 30K km/ 20K miles during those 2 years.

Here's what I plan to do:
1. Oil change and filter change. I will use 5w-20.
2. Transmission fluid 2 drain-refills with Valvoline Maxline compatible ATF. I am not changing the filter this time as I did this 2 years ago.
3. change the transfer case and rear differential fluids.
4. Brake fluid flush
5. Coolant flush
6. Change cabin filter
7. change air filter
8. Oil spray bottom of vechile and doors (not sure if this is really needed. I am just used to do this for our Salt-laden Canadian winters)
9. Change wipers and get a few spares.
10. Flashlight
11. Good 12v compressor
**12. Take spare low-beam bulbs
13. Spare remote starter and FOB batteries

Battery is about 2 years old. Not sure how this Costco Kirkland battery will fare in the African heat.
Front brakes are at 90%, rear brakes 100%. I do not plan to change the rotors.
All-season tires are at 80%.
I also getting all recalls done except the one which epoxies the rear suspension.

Is there anything that I am missing? I want to make the vehicle as troublefree as possible.
Sad to see the RAV4 go. I will be stuck with the 2015 Acura TLX V6 Sh-AWD

·
Registered
641 Posts
One of my family members will be getting posted in Western Africa (Accra in Ghana) for 2 years and will be taking my RAV4 with them.

As such I want to do as much preventative maintenance as possible before the car is exported.
My 2008 Base i4 RAV has about 115K km / 72K miles. I expect that they will put another 30K km/ 20K miles during those 2 years.

2. Transmission fluid 2 drain-refills with Valvoline Maxline compatible ATF. I am not changing the filter this time as I did this 2 years ago.
4. Brake fluid flush
5. Coolant flush
6. Change cabin filter
7. change air filter
8. Oil spray bottom of vechile and doors (not sure if this is really needed. I am just used to do this for our Salt-ladden Canadian winters)

Battery is about 2 years old. Not sure how this Costco Kirkland battery will fare in the African heat.
I also getting all recalls done except the one which epoxies the rear suspension.

Is there anything that I am missing? I want to make the vehicle as troublefree as possible.

Maybe AC servicing and headlight bulbs renewal?

·
Registered
7,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As far as I know, AC is a closed system that does not need to be serviced.

I changed the low-beams about a month ago, just to make them brighter. I should pack the OEM bulbs just in case. Thanks for the reminder.
Since I almost never use the high beams at full capacity, I not changing those.

·
Registered
641 Posts
As long as your AC is running ice cold then no issue. Wouldn't want to do without . . . . .

I think the daytime running lights use the high beam bulbs, no? They would be on more than the full power low beam, depending on your driving needs.

·
Registered
7,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What is the definition of "ice cold"? My AC has been running the same for the past 6 years but I would have like it a little colder if possible.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
What is the definition of "ice cold"? My AC has been running the same for the past 6 years but I would have like it a little colder if possible.
I've found my RAVs AC to be just ok. Nothing apparently wrong with it. My wife's 99 Camry however, will freeze your buns off and AFAIK, has never been touched.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Good luck finding Maxlife atf in Canada, walmart doesn't stock it anymore, and I called a couple of places and none had it, so I ordered Amsoil instead.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I'm in the same boat as you. The AC will only get adequately 'cool' on a 32c day if on recirculate mode and max fan speed. I even closed the moonroof shade to cut the solar gain on those hot days. Imagine the Africa heat wave would be a little more severe than Ottawa or TO. . .

·
Registered
7,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good luck finding Maxlife atf in Canada, walmart doesn't stock it anymore, and I called a couple of places and none had it, so I ordered Amsoil instead.
Well that sucks. It was affordable. How much was the AMSOIL and where did you order it from?

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Well that sucks. It was affordable. How much was the AMSOIL and where did you order it from?
you have to order it from them or a reseller, cost was about 120$ with shipping for 12 liters of the regular synthetic, not the signature series synthetics (more expensive)

next time I'm going to the US, I'm bringing back 5 gallons of maxlife!

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
You can get Valvoline MaxLife Transmission oil from Napa in Canada if there is a store near you.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
You can get Valvoline MaxLife Transmission oil from Napa in Canada if there is a store near you.
I called two stored in Gatineau, and they said they don't carry it... but didn,t ask if they could still order it. maybe I should, or wait until Vanib does >:D

·
Registered
1 Posts
bonjour,
réponse en français désolè mais google et la pour la traduction,pour l Afrique mettre 2 deux roues de secours; pour la batterie de démarrage ne pas changer disponible uniquement sur place (modèle tropicale impossible à obtenir sur place.a bientot

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hi!
I can give you some advice, since I had my RAV4 shipped to Argentina five years ago, inside a container.
The shipper lowered all the windows before closing the container... This is common practice. Well, the @%$*& container had leaks and the interior of the car got a significant amount of water. After 30 days of travel through tropical regions and at port, the amount of mold that grew inside was unbelievable. Fortunately a good professional shampoo wash, and plenty of sun light afterwards removed all of it with no sequels. I was desperate when I first saw the car, and I had to drive the thing out of the port using a breathing mask for safety!

I would therefore strongly suggest you DON'T allow them to leave open windows. If they tell you that it may get moldy inside tell them my story. You can always put a silica gel bucket (I think they sell big ones for removing moisture in a damp closet or basement) inside the car to absorb the very little moisture that might get inside from below.

I would also get the best possible quality battery for the car. Find out if this RAV4 model exists in Ghana, and what repair facilities they have. With bad roads you need good struts and shocks.

I also had the oil changed in all the transmission and 4 wheel drive systems. It was a great idea! Make sure you have extra keys just in case.

Another good idea is to get the Techstream diagnostic software and cable, you can buy this from Ebay and the software can be found online (ask here in the forum I am sure they can point you to the latest and greatest version).

Ask me if you have any specific questions as this is all that comes to mind right now! :thumbs_up:

4. Brake fluid flush
5. Coolant flush
6. Change cabin filter
7. change air filter
8. Oil spray bottom of vechile and doors (not sure if this is really needed. I am just used to do this for our Salt-laden Canadian winters)
10. Flashlight
11. Good 12v compressor
**12. Take spare low-beam bulbs
13. Spare remote starter and FOB batteries

1 - 15 of 15 Posts