Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought my Rav4 and 2 weeks later there is this noise like an angry cat growling. It starts when I start the car which then goes away when it's warmed up. Then when I drive and put my foot on the accelerator it starts up again.

I took it to Toyotacare and was told 'they all sound like that' (but interestingly that's not what they put on the report).

Has anyone encountered this type of noise? I didn't see a similar post on the forum...

Thanks
-a

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Mine does not sound like an angry cat. Perhaps you can have someone record a video to post of the angry cat sound.
Mine sounds like a pregnant lamma knitting jammies.
Really though, if you post a video we can tell you if it sounds normal.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
A sound recording will do as well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Interesting description. I believe I have the same sound. There is a significant whine when the car is started that goes away mostly after the car is warmed up. I only have 700 miles on my car. I captured the sound on my phone. I need to figure out how to upload.

There was also another post that indicated that this was normal.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I couldn't hear the recording well, but my 2015 XLE does not have a whine. I would take it back to the dealer and if they say they all sound like that, then I would ask to start up a number of the new ones setting on the lot and see what they sound like.

·
Registered
8 Posts
This is the sound that I hear when I first start the Rav. I wonder if this is normal ?

https://youtu.be/GX2guemdFl0

My mother's 2014 RAV-4 doesn't sound anything like your recording and it seems like something is restricting the throttle, like a potato is in the trail pipe.

My mother's RAV-4 is smooth and I can hardly hear the motor under idle and when I throttle up it does NOT have any rumbling sound like yours!:serious

·
Registered
62 Posts
I can't tell anything from that video. Was that a cold start or was the engine already warm? Was the A/C on?

Try and look at other videos on Youtube of a RAV4 starting and see if it compares to the sound you're experiencing.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Boy, I wish my two cats sounded that way when they got angry!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Noise

I do wish they had done a better job insulating engine noise.No angry cats,well one in the house,but intake and engine noise could be reduced somewhat.Over all I am a happy camper,I could not hear the noise on video.I would go see a mechanic who does not work for Toyota for an opinion.

·
Registered
9,026 Posts
Listening to the video, the "cat" sound could be the alternator, but it doesn't seem to indicate a problem.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Noticed it sounds different from mine. I've noticed that my 2013 has a distinctive sound, but not unpleasant or an issue type of sound if that makes sense.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Noticed it sounds different from mine. I've noticed that my 2013 has a distinctive sound, but not unpleasant or an issue type of sound if that makes sense.

But this does not make you angry, cat.....? :D

Certainly sounds different from ours I believe. a bit muffled or muted. so to speak. I like the "potato in tailpipe" analogy.

Go to a different dealer.

·
Registered
196 Posts
But this does not make you angry, cat.....? :D

Certainly sounds different from ours I believe. a bit muffled or muted. so to speak. I like the "potato in tailpipe" analogy.

Go to a different dealer.

Meow! Just saw this... I'm with "go to a different dealer" :wink

1 - 14 of 14 Posts