Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started looking for a replacement for my 1998 Plymouth Grand Voyager in August 2005 when I was told that most likely it wouldn't pass the next vehicle inspection. I looked at: Equinox, Escape/Tribute/Mariner, Element, Liberty, Santa Fe & Tucson, Sorento & Sportage, Vue, Forester & Outback, and the RAV4. Because my daughter was getting married in October, I wasn't, cash wise, able to purchase a car until 2006.

I decided on the Element. After I heard that the reconfigured RAV4 was going to come out in December 05/Jan 06, I decided I had better wait until I could see what the 2006's looked like. I was fortunate enough to find the RAV4World site, where I was able to get bunches of info.

After my Wife & I test-drove a Limited in early January, we decided on the RAV4.

I settled on one dealer after I got them to compete, and had that dealer searching for a Sport 4WD in Flint Mica (blame PuttPutt - I still like the Flint Mica). They didn't seem successful in getting one (maybe because they wanted to sell what they had on order, rather than trade with another dealer. When I found out the V6's were arriving in this area, I told them to forget the Flint Mica and get me the 6. They had two Sport 4WD V6's on the way, and I picked the black one. I picked up the Black one on Friday, 3/3/06. The Silver one hadn't been received yet

Great power, great looks, great ride, great handling, etc. I'm not sure what the gas mileage is, as the dealer filled the tank, and I've kind of hit the accelerator to see what the acceleration is like. I like it very much

I have to thank all the people that have posted such great info on this site.

·
Super Moderator
1,566 Posts
Congrats on your new RAV!

Flint Mica is a very nice looking color, especially after seeing it in person... But I have to say, I don't think I want to do without the little and not-so-little things that the Limited has the the Sport doesn't. (Electronic Climate Control, Power Drivers Seat, Engine Immobilizer, Chrome Grille)

It's unfortunate that the Sport is the only RAV with 5 alloys all around, but I've never had to change a flat on any of my RAVs (knock on wood!) and I hope to keep that trend going. Then again, the Sport's rims are 18" and that drives up the cost of replacing tires just enough to be uncomfortable. :?

C

·
0 Posts
karrock

So the Limited has a steel wheel under the spare cover?.

Bummer.

I was thinking that (when I get my V6 Limited) I'd remove the cover as I quite like the look of the "bare" wheel on the back of my current RAV4 (1996).

-steve

·
Super Moderator
1,566 Posts
Correct, calwiki -- of all the RAV models in North America (Base, Sport, Limited), only the Sport has alloys all around. :( Even the high end Limited gets a steel spare hung off the rear door, but at least it's the styled steel wheel (I've seen it) and not the simple black steel that's usually covered with a hubcap.

Someone earlier attributed it to the thought that perhaps Toyota didn't have a 18" steel wheel to put there! :lol: Could be true!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After owning a 1998 base Plymouth Grand Voyager, the Sport is quite an upgrade for me. My wife has mainly driven the new cars, and I get the old ones, or bought used (I don't call them "pre-owned) ones. I ended up going for the Sport 6 because the Sport had what I wanted for the money, and after having had several cars that were way under powered (I guess it traumatized me when you couldn't maintain speed going through the mountains, not being able to accelerate safely in some cases), I decided I wanted the 6, even though the I4 was impressive. The V6 does move out. I'm just waiting to see what mpg I get. I expect it to be better than the Grand Voyager was. Most of my driving is city/slow traffic clogged country roads, so it might not be impressive.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Hey, JA -

Another Upstate NYer on the RAV4 list, congrats, you'll be in love for a long, long time. Where did you get yours from?

OC :D

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OCInsomniac

I'm in eastern NY (Around Albany), and got the ARV4 from Toyota of Clifton Park.

I'll appreciate the 4WD next winter. While we don't get the snow you do, with an average of 60" per year, it will come in handy here.

We sure haven't had much snow this winter.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts