Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to pick up my new black Rav 4x4, 4cyl. last Saturday. Now I know that black can be difficult to take care of but this car had swirl scratches in the clearcoat all over the car. So we would not take delivery. You would think that a new car dealership would know better.

They sent to car out to be detailed (again you would think a new car dealership would have someone on site capable of doing this). We returned on Tuesday my birthday to a much better looking car except - now it had two large DEEP scratches in the front bumper.

They offered to repair the bumper or switch it out with another. To this my husband replied "We are going to trust you to do this without damage when you cannot even wash a car properly." Again we left without the car and are fighting to get our deposit back.

Back to the drawing board for me :cry:

·
Super Moderator
1,559 Posts
OMG! Sorry to hear about your purchasing pains... I hope this doesn't turn you away from the RAV or Toyota altogether. :(

Your worries echo mine a bit as well, since I've gone back to a dark color after five years with silver. I'm hoping for a long-term beautiful relationship with Nautical Blue, but I'm sure I'll have to pick up a bottle of touch up paint sooner or later. *knocks on wood*

Good luck finding a more capable dealership -- I hope they're not the only Toyota game in town and that you can find a better experience elsewhere. 8)

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Swirls

The manager who came out actually said "This always happens with black it's the rail dust." To which one of the salesmen and my husband replied that it wouldn't happen if they used clean towels and enough water. One of the men cleaning the cars also held up a towel and replied "yes dirty towels".

Unbelieveable! This a very large dealer in my area.

It did not scare me away from the vehicle, only the dealer and I have to admit black. My last two cars have been white which believe it or not is pretty easy to maintain.

·
Registered
771 Posts
I agree with you there. White is the best color for NOT showing its faults. Black is the most sensitive to scratches and "swirl marks".

Since there is such a long waiting period I would have had the dealer bring the vehicle to a pro and had them fix it for you. Maybe could have haggled on the price or got some extras. Its only paint and doesn't effect the vehicle in anyway. I know its a headache but it can be a very good bargaining chip as well. Could have let you drive a new one while you were waiting for yours. The vehicle has to be repaired anyway, might as well benefit from it while you can.

In the life of your (soon to be) RAV you will get scratches and dings. Its the nature of the beast. What will you do then? Would you sell it?

Incompetent dealers (workers in particular) is the way of the world. Using them to your advantage is up to you.

Good luck with your RAV. I love black but then again I don't mind washing it. I have swirl marks too. A good coat of wax twice a year solves that problem. Black looks awesome when its shined up unlike white which you can never really tell.

One final thing I will say though about the Black and White it that Black is prov-en to be 20-30 degrees warmer inside in the sun than the same vehicle painted White. A/C works harder and its extremely hot inside on a summers day and will take longer to cool off.

Later. M.

·
Registered
986 Posts
So you have swirl marks? Welcome to the club. It sucks to have them on a new vehicle (and yes it shouldn't come from the dealer like that) but not matter what you do, you will end up with them eventually. Swirl marks are common for all dark vehicles, but they tend to be even more common now due to the use of less-durable "environmentally friendly" paints. They just don't paint 'em like they used to. Heck my Rav doesn't even have a clear coat so it's even worse for me.

I stay away from brush carwashes, wash my Rav4 only by hand for as long as I can before it gets too cold out, buff and polish periodically, regularly apply high quality car wax, and even had it professionally detailed, but I still have swirl marks. You can try everything to mask or reduce the swirl marks, but the only way to get rid of them is to have the vehicle repainted. I used to fret about it, until I just gave up trying.

Some people say "you can buff 'em out" but I can attest to the fact that you can only buff so much before you get down to the primer. Black is a major paint to keep looking nice, but on the other hand, it is the easiest and cheapest to fix and repaint because black is black, and you don't have to deal with blending custom colors. My Rav looks good to the average eye, but I notice all the imperfections and spots that I've "fixed" over the years. I'll probably get it repainted eventually.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I ordered a black 2003 Avalon and have no regrets for its look when it is clean, which I do often (I love washing my cars). I just bought a 2005 RAV4 which I found used for a GREAT price, and it too is black. Although it has only 8,000 miles, it has its share of nicks and scratches which suits me fine since I won't have to fret the first blemish on the vehicle! Nothing looks as good as black when its clean, scratches or not (although I do like the blue RAV color).[/b]

·
Registered
28 Posts
I also owned a black 1998 RAV. Looked great when clean. It's difficult to find a good detailer to get rid of the swirls. It is a high maintenance colour. I warned by brother-in law before buying his black Camry. He's been cursing ever since. Like that line in the song says "black cars look better in the shade".

1 - 9 of 9 Posts