Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I must admit that I was impressed with my stock Bridgestones today. I drove through driving rain and big puddles today at highway speeds. We have flood warnings in NH today. The RAV handled it with no problem.

·
Registered
227 Posts
SeriousBlack said:
I must admit that I was impressed with my stock Bridgestones today. I drove through driving rain and big puddles today at highway speeds. We have flood warnings in NH today. The RAV handled it with no problem.
Was traveling through the back roads of North Conway, NH this weekend. My RAV's Yokohama tires handled the torrential rain soaked roads well.
I'm glad the rain has stopped for the time being. Some of the smaller rivers here were starting to overflow their banks

·
Registered
7,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's still raining pretty hard here in southern NH, a few washed out roads. Kidda reminds me of last spring.

·
Registered
30 Posts
So is it seriousblack to the rescue? I was just watching a show on t.v. about not driving through water that is flowing over a road. not something we usually have to worry about in Illinois but useful information that I hadn't thought about before.

·
Premium Member
8,018 Posts
The G Man said:
I live in MA, I just drove thru like 12 inch of water yesterday with the RAV, no problem at all.
I'd be careful in deep water if you have a 4WD, the rear differential may not be vented for high water, if not, it may have water mixed with the lubricant now if the vent was immersed. Most 4x4 differentials have a tube running from the vent up to a frame location to keep water from entering the vent. Dunno if the Rav4 has that, it could be right on the differential, haven't been under mine yet to see.

http://www.offroaders.com/info/tech-corner/reading/water-crossing.htm

·
Registered
7,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
stainless said:
So is it seriousblack to the rescue? I was just watching a show on t.v. about not driving through water that is flowing over a road. not something we usually have to worry about in Illinois but useful information that I hadn't thought about before.
just need my cape :lol: gotta watch out for washed out roads. There were a few of these in NH this past weekend :shock: ... http://images.ibsys.com/2006/0514/9212718.jpg

glad the rain has finally slowed down :D

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Quickdtoo said:
I'd be careful in deep water if you have a 4WD, the rear differential may not be vented for high water, if not, it may have water mixed with the lubricant now if the vent was immersed. Most 4x4 differentials have a tube running from the vent up to a frame location to keep water from entering the vent. Dunno if the RAV4 has that, it could be right on the differential, haven't been under mine yet to see.
I think that the differential vent is 24 inches for the 4runner, not sure about the RAV4, but I would think it is at least 12 inches.

·
Registered
21 Posts
what I perceive to be the vent on my 99 trucklet is about 18 inches, I shall check to make sure but at a quick glance....

·
Super Moderator
11,155 Posts
Welcome. You dug up and responded to a five year old thread! Look at the 4.1 area which would be for '99 models. This area is for 2006+ models.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts