Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, this is 2016. That makes my 2006 RAV4 10 years old. Gonna sell it? NO WAY!
A quick story why.
Just got back to CT from a trip to Las Vegas for a Harley tuning course. And no, not a dime spent gambling.
Picked up my wheels from EZ car rental. After being warned from reviews about the upcharge attempts, such as an extra $120 for insurance and $30 to refill the tank, I firmly refused them all and got the car for $107 for 4 days. (Gas cost me $10.) I'd read about some of the iffy cars people got so I was pleasantly surprised when mine was a brand new 2016 Camry with 33 miles.
After a few wrong turns, (it was 3AM my-body-time) I got ready to enter I-15 North. Knowing they'd discontinued the V6 in the RAV4 but wondering if they had in the Camry (Kyle Busch's ad from last year had one), I said to myself, "Time to find out!" Right foot to the floor = NOPE, this one must have the 2.5L 4-banger. Okay it'll get me around, and maybe 30 years ago it was fast, but today it's just adequate for the masses. So I drove those few days leaving extra room to merge or get in the correct lane ahead of my GPS's directions. (Every street is 4 or 6 lanes in North Las Vegas and the lane markers don't have lines just worn out reflectors.) :doh:

Couldn't wait to get home! Landed in Providence where I'd left my V6 + Electric Accord at an off-airport parking service where they have it warmed up and waiting for you. You can guess what I did. Pulled out on Route 1, empty at 11:30 PM, and floored it. :D :wink This is the way it's supposed to be!! After a stop for a bite at Wendy's I pulled onto the ramp for the 4-lane connector to I-95. Saw headlights behind me. No matter, I was doing 75 and pulling away by the time I merged. Backed down to 68 for the trip home, knowing our RAV4 waiting there is even just a little quicker. Man, it's good to be home! :cheers: Even the lines on the roads are comforting.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
My stepdad has a 2010 Camry with the V6. It's very fast (just a bit quicker than the RAV4), and quiet. Kind of a stealth car. It's pretty fun to drive.

But it doesn't have AWD, ground clearance, a full-sized spare tire, and can't haul much. However, he has a Tacoma for that.

As I only want 1 vehicle, the RAV4 V6 pretty much does it ALL. :thumbs_up:

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Doc, I got bagged by the refill the tank thing the last time I had a rental. It's been a while since I last rented. Cost me like 70 bucks to have them put maybe 7 gallons into the Cruz. Won't happen again! Not to mention the Cruz was a dog.

·
Registered
8,583 Posts
Quite a number of times having the V6 RAV has made possible passing maneuvers on our narrow and twisty mountain roads which aren't possible with a 4-banger, as I know from personal experience. I'm not giving that up unless something with comparable power and price is available.

Vehicle rentals - we always refill the fuel tank ourselves just before returning the vehicle - much less expensive than having the rental agency fill it with their gold-priced fuel!

·
Registered
270 Posts
Mine is also 10 years old now, in May anyway, and still going strong...and fast.

·
Super Moderator
10,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Couple more thoughts:
At $2/gal how would you put $30 in the tank? You'd have to take it back on fumes. Big winner for them!

I also think I was being set up from the start since ASA I got to the counter the woman was hollering to an employee (a ghost?) behind me, "Tell them it's $100 a day." Then she told me I was getting a really good deal. Guess I was supposed to jump at the $237 for four days. Paid $107 instead, and $44 of that was taxes & fees on top of my reserved rate of $15.88/day.

On the car, again a 2016 Camry with 33 miles, sure sounded like it had bad wheel bearings as there was a not-to-muted howling at all speeds on all roads. Having driven Hondas for years I'm familiar with road noise but this was distinctively different. Figured that's just the way it was but it would keep me from buying a Camry, at least this one. If I'm not mistaken didn't someone with a 4.4 RAV4 mention it too?

·
Registered
268 Posts
Having rented cars a few times over the last few years, on vacations, I've learned a few things.

Reserve your car no sooner than a few days before you pick it up. It gets cheaper as you get closer to the pick-up date.

As Doc said, never get the blanket refill from them, it's an absolute rip-off.

And, don't count on refilling right next to the airport or wherever the rental came from. We were in Miami a couple of weeks ago. The gas station right next to the rental return area was charging $3.69/gal. for regular:mad:. The next station was $3.29, and it got cheaper the farther you got from the airport.

We filled near our hotel for $1.89, and then prayed it would stay on full for the 35 miles to the airport. It did. >:D

·
Registered
92 Posts
I agree with the OP. We have a 2013 Highlander and a 2006 RAV4 V6, they have the same engine but the RAV is about 600 lbs lighter and feels much faster-quicker-agile than the highlander. Yes the keyless entry and keyless start are nice on highlander - oh, and the bluetooth, but I much prefer the older RAV4. 144,000 miles and still going strong!

·
Registered
178 Posts
I agree with the OP. We have a 2013 Highlander and a 2006 RAV4 V6, they have the same engine but the RAV is about 600 lbs lighter and feels much faster-quicker-agile than the highlander. Yes the keyless entry and keyless start are nice on highlander - oh, and the bluetooth, but I much prefer the older RAV4. 144,000 miles and still going strong!
i thought all ravs had keyless entry...and you can very easily add remote start to your rav for about 50 bucks or so...

·
Super Moderator
11,139 Posts
I read the the V-6 option will be dropped in the Camry for 2017. It is to be replaced by a Turbo 4 cylinder:x. As much grief as my RAV has given me so far it is still fun to drive 100% due to the 3.5l V-6.

·
Registered
499 Posts

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
I read the the V-6 option will be dropped in the Camry for 2017. It is to be replaced by a Turbo 4 cylinder:x. As much grief as my RAV has given me so far it is still fun to drive 100% due to the 3.5l V-6.
I've always been a proponent of larger, low-stressed engines vs smaller, high-stressed ones.
But I guess the handwriting is on the wall.:frown

·
Registered
8,583 Posts
I'm hanging onto my V6 RAV perhaps unless someone - maybe Hyundai - comes out with a killer diesel!

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Don't believe everything you read. Toyota's current (USA) web site lists the 2017 model Camrys as already available, and (Hallelujah!) the V6 is still there:

2017 Toyota Camry Exterior Features

That doesn't mean Toyota won't kill it in the future, but at least we get one more year.

·
Super Moderator
11,139 Posts
Then you get to have significantly less horsepower of the V6 and have to buy PREMIUM gas.

Not for me.

Tom
And you know this how? At this point it is pure conjecture. Most modern (not all) turbo 4 bangers run properly on 87 or 89 octane.

·
Super Moderator
11,139 Posts
Don't believe everything you read. Toyota's current (USA) web site lists the 2017 model Camrys as already available, and (Hallelujah!) the V6 is still there:

2017 Toyota Camry Exterior Features

That doesn't mean Toyota won't kill it in the future, but at least we get one more year.

Wonderful to see, maybe Camry buyers have one more year for the V-6!

1 - 20 of 71 Posts